Looking At The Patriots 2022

Pittsburgh with 9 men in the box, BB explains how the Pats Oline beat it.

Meyers and Dugger DNP today, both with knee issues. I don't think Meyers is serious from what they're saying but I think Dugger might be. I hope not.

He has always had his moments where he goes off on an answer and we see a tiny, tiny bit of the inside of his mind. I am unsure why we are seeing it more now. Could be he is being asked better questions (that isn't it) or that he is mellowing/understands his potential legacy more. Either way, I like it when the allows the inside coach to talk the outside. More and more.

Can you imagine if he auctioned off a 2 hour block of time 1 on 1 with himself and you could ask anything football X's and O's (maybe a little lax too, my other love)? Imagine you win and have 2 weeks to get your questions together. Holy shit! Where to begin?

What is your first question?

He has always had his moments where he goes off on an answer and we see a tiny, tiny bit of the inside of his mind. I am unsure why we are seeing it more now. Could be he is being asked better questions (that isn't it) or that he is mellowing/understands his potential legacy more. Either way, I like it when the allows the inside coach to talk the outside. More and more.

Can you imagine if he auctioned off a 2 hour block of time 1 on 1 with himself and you could ask anything football X's and O's (maybe a little lax too, my other love)? Imagine you win and have 2 weeks to get your questions together. Holy shit! Where to begin?

Just one? Holy impossible, Batman.

I'd ask him about those 2nd round picks that busted out. I've already heard his views on the subject going back a ways, that he feels like that is the round where you take a chance on a dude with first-round traits but has flaws to work out. Specifically, if he has had a change of heart on the topic after so many fizzled out. Does he feel that one Gronk offsets Dawson/Klemm/Wheatley and about a dozen more.

I'd ask him about those 2nd round picks that busted out. I've already heard his views on the subject going back a ways, that he feels like that is the round where you take a chance on a dude with first-round traits but has flaws to work out. Specifically, if he has had a change of heart on the topic after so many fizzled out. Does he feel that one Gronk offsets Dawson/Klemm/Wheatley and about a dozen more.
Second round picks by Belichick that turned out to be quality NFL players: Matt Light, Deion Branch, Shane Vereen, Jamie Collins, Jimmy Garoppolo.

Jury is still out on Kyle Dugger, Josh Uche, Christian Barmore, and Tyquan Thornton, but maybe BB will hit on all four of those.

If you look at any random draft in the last 20 years, you'll see that maybe 20-25% of the second round players make the ProBowl (and that's a pretty ho-hum honor these days).

In 2010, the year Gronk came out, there were 10 Pro Bowlers, but that's an outlier. More typical are years like 2014 & 2015 (6 PBers each year).

BB and the scouting department aren't perfect, and they're often drafting near the bottom of the round, which means the talent pool is already drained a bit when they're making their second round choice(s). I think they do OK in all the rounds, and are especially good at finding talent in the UDFA arena.

Even in the first round, the odds of hitting on a Pro-Bowler are less than 50%. Many have opined that the draft is a crapshoot, and the numbers bear that out.

1. One can’t see BB’s drafts in a vacuum. It’s heavily dependent on the period. He hit on a lot of good players drafted when he had good staff around him. Specifically 2001-2004 and 2009-2012 were great. A lot of core championship players acquired then. In between he filled with hits in trades (Welker, Moss) or UDFA (Butler, Jackson).

2. Certain drafts SUCKED. 2019 looks worse and worse. 2013-2019 is a below average period. The trio of the 3 stooges college roommates from John Carroll college, were terrible talent evaluators. Same thing with 2005-2008, a ton of draft busts. I am extremely glad JMD went somewhere else, this was a massive upgrade for the franchise in addition via subtraction.

3. Certain homers here need to own up to prior ridiculous defenses of Nkeal Harry, or even Herron who was just traded away for nothing. There is a growing list of complete busts who are not defensible and it’s ridiculous how much they were defended by blind homers who would explain away anything just because the Patriots did it.

Back