Looking At The Patriots 2022

You are 100% entitled to your opinion. Just keep in mind you tend to repeat yourself quite a bit.

Thanks very much.
Yes I tend to be consistent when the OLine plays like crap, or the red zone offense is pathetic, or that it’s clear the offensive staff are novices. I’ll change my tune when they fix this sh-t

I’m also consistent in saying Steve Belichick is great at his job

This would be nice, but "flipping the switch" rarely happens in any team sport unless the switch gets flipped off (see Red Sox 1978). If it does it will need to be with the..... wait for it.....

play calling. The players have shown us what they are this season. Call plays that do everything possible to hide the weaknesses. Patricia ignores this as if he is shocked that Wynn is a lazy turnstile and Yodney is Yodney every game.

Dropping Mac back on 5 man protect doesn't work for this O-line yet Patricia does it a lot. In the compressed coverage area of the RZ it is even worse. Patricia did it last week ---> sack on 2nd and 12 inside the 15. Missed FG. No RZ points.

Love to see Patricia find memories of what has worked and do them again (Thornton in the RZ anyone?) but there is no continuity to his play calling. It seems like he forgets everything he has done both good and bad and randomly chooses the next play with no thought to down/distance or D personnel on the field. <------ I can't believe what I wrote there is true but it sure appears to be the case. This is the NFL?

How long would it take for Bill two sit down with Patricia and script the first 25 plays (with options)? An hour?

I would love to send Patricia a cake to the Razor to celebrate his graduation to calling a well thought out game plan based on what he has to work with and what the opponent presents and with SITUATIONAL play calls added in. Nobody would be happier than me for Patricia to "flip the switch" and make no mistake (IMO) that is the switch that needs flipping. If he can do it, I will list my address so I can receive the shit ton of crow here in MI and eat it. Heaven knows I have had to eat it before and it isn't bad with cranberry sauce....while re-watching the Patriots BIG win that caused it. :D

Last edited:
That full house backfield with HHenry and JSmith lined up as fullbacks alongside RStevenson was effective against the Jets' D.
The Vikings' D isn't nearly as good as the Jets' D.

Yes it was. You and Lazar pointed this out. I wonder if we will ever see it again?

That full house backfield with HHenry and JSmith lined up as fullbacks alongside RStevenson was effective against the Jets' D.

Not overall, but they do generate a lot of sacks with Danielle Hunter and Zadarius Smith and a couple of other guys. I can't find
much reason to hope for better pass-blocking tomorrow. Not a good match up for us.

I'll unleash the full doom and gloom treatment later on.

All I know is they need to start feeding Harris more. That dude looked like a monster against the Jets.

One of Lazar's complaints about the offense is that there aren't any counters. If you have a successful play such when Trent Brown pulled, you should be able to run play action off of that.
Also no sequencing.
"It's just a bunch of plays like preseason".

It's an inverted wishbone, used to force defenders to bring eight into the box, and from there you try to pick your matchup based on who comes into the box and is matched with the TEs. With the WRs outside presumably drawing coverage from the corners, running them off with posts and corners will often draw safeties as well. If they only send 1 deep you can pick your 1-1 deep ball. If they send 2 deep, then one (with a 5DB package) or both of the upback/TEs is covered by a LB. A wheel route puts a ton of pressure on a slower LB because of the speed when he need to maintain lane discipline and respect that it could be a toss - he can't compensate by gaining depth early and it becomes a footrace. Or you can run more of a slashing route to take advantage of a mismatch in size.

Either way, a nice thing about the scenario is it mostly eliminates the QB needing to worry about reading the coverage, because with a few exceptions the coverage on the TEs on the outside is going to be the same whether it's zone or man. The only major exception is if the CB hands off the WR and crashes back into the flat/short outside zone.

Thanks very much.
Yes I tend to be consistent when the OLine plays like crap, or the red zone offense is pathetic, or that it’s clear the offensive staff are novices. I’ll change my tune when they fix this sh-t

I’m also consistent in saying Steve Belichick is great at his job
Don't think consistent is the word he meant. Nauseously repetitive maybe more like it.

Cheers

One of Lazar's complaints about the offense is that there aren't any counters. If you have a successful play such when Trent Brown pulled, you should be able to run play action off of that.
Also no sequencing.
"It's just a bunch of plays like preseason".
Right. I mean, there's not a ton of play action that uses pulls (as this makes it messy to set up a pocket after the play action) but it's not totally unheard of, and your point is right - it's not just a matter of a bunch of well-designed plays, but using plays to set up other plays.

• A FB dive to the left A gap sets up:
  • A TB power, where the FB takes a fake through to the second level to block the left ILB, TB takes a timing step left, while the QB reverse pivots and gives to him and he hits off the right tackle. The TB and QB use this motion on the dive as well, after the handoff is given to the FB.
  • A toss sweep left, where it's the same backfield action to start, but the TB's timing step to the left continues into a toss sweep, and the QB tosses just past the diving FB. This forces the left ILB to respect the TB timing step, which prevents him from jumping the FB dive and positions him so the FB can seal him on the back side of the power.
  • A TB counter, mirroring that motion, but he plants his right foot, takes the handoff on the other side of the QB, and follows the FB (but a little more east/west) angling back behind the pulling RG into the left A gap looking to plant his left foot and get upfield.
  • A waggle, where the QB just gives the TB on the power motion an empty hand instead of the ball and waggles out to the right, where the FB, TB, TE, and WR are flooding patterns to that side of the defense, stressing defenders at different verticals.
  • A power pass, where the QB gives a full fake to the TB before standing and looking to pass
  • A whole triple option series where the QB reads the DT and can give to the FB if the A gap is uncovered, while the TB's timing step left is followed by a flair option to the right. QB goes straight down the line and reads the DE to decide to keep or pitch.
  • An option pass where the QB heads down the line, but pushes to a quick drop back if the DE covers pitch, and has the TB in a wheel route, FB crossing, and the WR & TE on that side in routes. The DE is already out of position to cover the wheel route if he stepped to make the tackle on the pitch. The LBs are going to be looking to avoid the FB who has been pounding at them all day, so it should be easy to get separation faking the block before going into the pattern.

The dive/power/sweep actions then form the core of the play action passes out of that formation in your passing plays. You have running plays that attack inside, outside, and wide to either side of the formation, and they look more or less identical for the first half-second or so. You can put them into patterns off of those actions, have them pull up and support in passpro, or trickle into a variety of hot read checkdowns.

You can also invert this concept, and run the same play from a wide variety of looks and personnel groupings. You learn a ton about a defenses keys and reads from the different ways they position and react based on personnel and formation, which allows you to better attack late.

Not overall, but they do generate a lot of sacks with Danielle Hunter and Zadarius Smith and a couple of other guys. I can't find
much reason to hope for better pass-blocking tomorrow. Not a good match up for us.

I'll unleash the full doom and gloom treatment later on.
Smith is pretty well dinged up, definitely not 100% and I think questionable.

Last 36 drives against the Pats defense.
Punts - 21
INT - 4
Downs - 3
Missed FG - 2
FG - 2
Blocked punt - 1
End of half - 1
End of game - 1
TD - 1

153 plays / 464 net yards / 3.03 per play Avg drive 4.3 plays / 12.9 net yards/13 pts.
in 12 days we will know the truth, good or bad. the next 3 games will show us all

Last 36 drives against the Pats defense.
Punts - 21
INT - 4
Downs - 3
Missed FG - 2
FG - 2
Blocked punt - 1
End of half - 1
End of game - 1
TD - 1

153 plays / 464 net yards / 3.03 per play Avg drive 4.3 plays / 12.9 net yards/13 pts.
I'm certainly impressed.

speaking of the Pats Offensive Line issues, maybe we bring this guy in for a look?

Capture.JPG

maybe the "woman" was a 300lb+ lb-er w/ a quick first lateral step for a jet sweep (or something)

Back