Looking At The Patriots 2022

We got the answer . The Patriots are pretenders .The defense can only dominate bad teams . BB deserves to be held accountable. Especially with issues at OC , LB & O-line.

Last edited:
Ya one thing that bugs me is the blind support of BB by some fans. BB is the GOAT but he isn't perfect nor is it a given that he will always be the best coach. Right now he's seriously undermining faith in him.

I'm no longer confident that he sees the problem and can/will fix it, because so far he hasn't. The talent on this team isn't amazing but it's good enough to make the playoffs and challenge for the division. But it's clear right now that we can't compete with quality teams on either side of the ball. It's depressing to watch the coaches so badly lead this team.

For all the hate on fatty matty I don’t hear anything on the man who put him there despite the fact that it was an obvious mistake. BB seems to escape all accountability always.
Speaking of obvious mistakes Jonnu has a 19 million dollar cap hit next season.
And why didn’t we see Thornton until the fourth quarter last nigh?
George Pickens was selected AFTER Thornton. The Steelers have a great WR corps, yet they find ways to get him involved. He looks awesome.

Last edited:
For all the hate on fatty matty I don’t hear anything on the man who put him there despite the fact that it was an obvious mistake. BB seems to escape all accountability always.

Speaking of obvious mistakes Jonnu has a 19 million dollar cap hit next season.
Bill actually said at the start of the season when he was being peppered with questions about the offense coordinator and who would be calling plays to just blame him if it doesn’t work out.

Another great analysis by Evan Lazar.

Good to call out the sh-tty flawed game plan. On face value the Bills had tackling issues but that was mostly due to missing 2 of their best tacklers for several games who played last night. And if the game plan was predicated on YAC, makes no sense to not use Jonnu Smith and Bourne more, their best YAC players besides Mondre.

This is what happens when you use weak losing Detroit Lions coaching/analytics to run the offense

Good to call out the sh-tty flawed game plan. On face value the Bills had tackling issues but that was mostly due to missing 2 of their best tacklers for several games who played last night. And if the game plan was predicated on YAC, makes no sense to not use Jonnu Smith and Bourne more, their best YAC players besides Mondre.

This is what happens when you use weak losing Detroit Lions coaching/analytics to run the offense

Lazar pretty much said exactly what I was thinking. A terrific 2nd drive and then for the rest of the game we didn't see those play calls again. Idiocy imo.

Lazar pretty much said exactly what I was thinking. A terrific 2nd drive and then for the rest of the game we didn't see those play calls again. Idiocy imo.
There is no continuity to the play calls. Game situation and defensive scheme are ignored.

One play, good or bad, is forgotten immediately and the magic 8-ball gets another shake.

There were intelligent people on here and in the press that worried about this from the beginning with Patricia. I believe you voiced it as well, Chev. All were correct.

Ironically, I put aside what I KNEW from his time here in Detroit and kneeled at the alter of "In Bill We Trust" like so many others. I just snapped out of it sooner because... well, experience matters.

4. Other Quick-Hit Film Notes From the Patriots Loss to the Bills
  • The only offensive player immune to this coaching staff and offensive line is Rhamondre. Another 45 yards after contact on 54 total rushing yards. His contact balance, power, and elusiveness are elite. He had no business averaging 5.4 yards per rush.
  • Hard to give anyone a passing grade on the offensive line. For a fourth tackle, it could've been worse for Connor McDermott (three hurries). Cole Strange was fine (one hurry), but he's still treading water out there and needs Andrews. Trent Brown looked terrible after the game dealing with an illness. Still, it feels like he's going rogue on some plays where he's throwing cut blocks when the other tackle is in standard pass pro. He needs to get right physically and maybe have a chat with Scar. Andrews gutted it out, and outside of one whiff on a stunt pass-off, Onwenu was okay. Overall, not good. 39.5% pressure rate and 60 yards after contact on 60 total rushing yards.
  • When the play-caller dials up mostly quick-game concepts on early downs, and the offensive line can't pass protect on third down, it's tough to assess the receiver situation. The lack of game-breakers is a given. But these pass-catchers produce when Mac has time in the pocket. They need to get more out of this group.
  • The fact that the game plan was to generate YAC off quick passes and Jonnu Smith only played 17 snaps makes zero sense.
  • Pats EDGE Josh Uche was the most impactful player on the team with five QB pressures (two sacks, a hit, two hurries) and five stops. His "ghost" rush to beat backup left tackle David Quessenberry on the strip sack would've made Von Miller proud.
  • The Pats run defense only allowed 3.6 yards and a 35% success rate on 37 rush attempts. A big part of that was NT Davon Godchaux leading the charge with the Pats sitting in two-high shells on early downs. Godchaux had a team-high ten tackles and five run stops. He was two-gapping at a high level and shedding every single block that came his way in the run game. Godchaux dominates Bills C Mitch Morse.
  • Matthew Judon made three impact plays with a drawn hold to save a TD, one QB hit, and a run stuff. He was also used as an overhang player out wide to set the edge vs. Allen. Buffalo also chipped him when they could in a game that wasn't exactly a pin-the-ears-back plan. Overall, they need to find ways to get more out of him. Move him inside like they used to do with Hightower while someone else sets the edge?
  • You'll take the yards underneath over the big plays downfield. But it would help the Pats defense to have a more athletic MIKE LB in these matchups than Ja'Whaun Bentley. Check-downs into his zone produce too many yards. It's not his game.
  • I'm trying to figure out what to make of Jonathan Jones. The stats are bad (nine catches, 89 yards, and 2 TDs). He stopped playing on the Davis TD and got burned by Diggs on his TD. But they didn't give him much help on Diggs, and he was competitive on several plays in man coverage. J.C. Jackson had a similar issue. Good at times but too inconsistent to hold up against an elite receiver.
  • I'm excited for the future with the rookie Joneses. However, Jack Jones desperately needs to learn coverage discipline and how to read receivers from off-coverage and zone/bail techniques. He's getting beat on verticals too often and was almost burned by it this week if it wasn't for Judon drawing a hold. Marcus held up well in 23 coverage snaps, with two incompletions on two targets. He needs to play more.
  • They protected him more this time, but the Pats continued to roll out Myles Bryant vs. Isaiah McKenzie in man coverage. McKenzie had him beat more than once. Bryant was lucky to give up only one catch. He also gave up a third-down completion on an out-breaking route when he had outside leverage/inside help. Can't happen.
  • Devin McCourty is a Patriot legend and the ultimate leader. As a fan, it's nothing but love. Still, his reaction time or game speed, however you want to look at it, is diminishing. He had cut coverage on McKenzie in the red zone on Diggs's TD and, despite having inside leverage, still got burned. It feels like he's not seeing it as quickly.

BB wanted Fatty Matty, so, it is his fault for bringing him back. Patricia's system is also part of BB's system...it's currently not in a good place. Can all of this be corrected? Possibly. But, right now, it's not very impressive.

That being said, I'm still a BB is the GOAT fan.

There is no continuity to the play calls. Game situation and defensive scheme are ignored.

One play, good or bad, is forgotten immediately and the magic 8-ball gets another shake.

There were intelligent people on here and in the press that worried about this from the beginning with Patricia. I believe you voiced it as well, Chev. All were correct.

Ironically, I put aside what I KNEW from his time here in Detroit and kneeled at the alter of "In Bill We Trust" like so many others. I just snapped out of it sooner because... well, experience matters.
I was never a Fatty Matty fan. When he was the DC, he sucked ass. He is consistent in that area... :coffee:

I'm not going to put all of the blame on BB or Patricia though. It's a collective of not being/playing good enough all around.

I was never a Fatty Matty fan. When he was the DC, he sucked ass. He is consistent in that area... :coffee:

I'm not going to put all of the blame on BB or Patricia though. It's a collective of not being/playing good enough all around.

I agree with that. I mean, Patrica was never a stellar DC either, the man whose defense gave up 41 points in the Superbowl v the Eagles?
I remember frequently this board tearing its hair out at times with his defenses.

Then you look at his time with the Lions, which was terrible. For some reason, Bill rates him. But it's clear it was a big mistake to allow someone with zero offensive credentials to not just call the offense, but he's also been coaching the O Line! None of this is Patricia's fault, ultimately. it is down to Bill, he decided this and made the call. Bill will need to fix this, which I will wager he will do no question in the off-season.

Those people who accuse admirers and fans of Bill always get this wrong about us. We never have an issue calling out Bill when we believe he's wrong.

The challenge now is how to fix this in the off-season. Where will Bill turn to in order to get a really good OC who can get Mac back on track.

I for one, am still not willing to absolve Mac of all blame. I don't believe he's done himself a lot of favours this season with some poor play. And for those saying the playcalling is too timid and needs to be more daring, need to look at the earlier games when Mac was given the freedom to pass downfield, and he ended up throwing INTs like they were confetti. Right from that very first drive in Miami when he forced the ball to Parker in deep coverage in the EZ.

This cap table tells the story.
Of a 0.500 team.

Most of the top cap players on this squad are not even featured in the core scheme despite having talent (Henry, Agholor, Jonnu, Bourne) or terrible and/or overpaid players (Wynn, Godchaux). I do think it’s fixable in the off-season but Ziegler+McD really left a turd on their way out (good riddance).

A53486F7-47F4-4A8B-901E-76B7878A8569.jpeg

Back