Looking at the Patriots 2023

In a recent appearance on NBC Sports Boston’s “Next Pats” podcast, NFL Network’s analytics expert Cynthia Frelund had a lot to say about Jones’ performance and provided an advanced metric proving how good he can be for the team in the near future.

“I really look at, the best you can do is what you can do from a clean pocket. Because most quarterbacks get pressured on about a third of their dropbacks. Some games it’s more, some games it’s less, but let’s just call it 30 percent as an average.
So what are you doing on those other two-thirds where you’re not under pressure? Are you throwing precisely to a lot of the route tree? Because there are some things to always take into consideration. Does your wide receiver run the routes that you’re expecting? What was the play call? Clean pocket, that to me is your ceiling.
I think Mac Jones is in a good spot. First of all, he’ll have Bill O’Brien. I think he’s going to create a system that makes a lot of sense. Obviously the familiarity, this Alabama connection, all these things.”
The podcast host Phil Perry broke down Jones’ 2022 performance further with statistics from PFF. The good thing about all of these stats? It shows that Jones, with a proper offensive coordinator and talented (or even adequate, honestly) offensive line can be exactly the quarterback they need.

“Mac Jones, about 71 percent of his dropbacks were not pressured. … 246 attempts, he has a completion percentage of 71.7. He averaged 7.3 yards per attempt from a clean pocket. He had 11 touchdowns against just three picks from a clean pocket.
It turns out he has the fifth-best grade of any quarterback with at least 100 dropbacks last year when kept clean. So this was a dysfunctional Patriots offense, this was a substandard Patriots offense. If they were even close to just average, you’d probably be looking at a nine or 10-win team. A team that makes it into the postseason. Mac Jones trails only, in terms of ‘kept clean’ grades: Joe Burrow, Patrick Mahomes, Jalen Hurts, and Trevor Lawrence.”

In a recent appearance on NBC Sports Boston’s “Next Pats” podcast, NFL Network’s analytics expert Cynthia Frelund had a lot to say about Jones’ performance and provided an advanced metric proving how good he can be for the team in the near future.

The podcast host Phil Perry broke down Jones’ 2022 performance further with statistics from PFF. The good thing about all of these stats? It shows that Jones, with a proper offensive coordinator and talented (or even adequate, honestly) offensive line can be exactly the quarterback they need.
The article in question: Mac Jones Is Our QB1

Judon❣️

We've said it before, and we'll repeat it....some players just get the Patriots, and the team suits them down to the ground, and some don't.

And actually, the longer I follow this BB team, the more I think the vast majority of players would find the Patriots a great place to play and would fit them like a glove. And it's only a tiny minority who it wouldn't suit. And that minority are typically selfish showboaters who want it to be all about them instead of the team.

Jonas Gray was a shot in the arm and just what we needed at that time.

Jonas Gray on the cover of Sports Illustrated after rushing for 201 yards and a franchise record 4 Touchdowns against the Indianapolis Colts in 2014.

FpBm3WmWAAwShux

After watching the SB, think the Pats are not far off.
Need a couple of OTs and one difference maker on offence.

Exactly correct. It's going to take some sharp moves in FA and an impact draft, but imagine, if you will, what could happen
if we can get the protection solid enough to square Mac away and balance the offense. A lot of smart people are going to
be focused on that issue and a substantial turn-around is not a pipedream.

We need to retool the kicking game and special teams, which is important, but imagine what our D might have accomplished
if they had a chance to catch their breath once in a while. Imagine what we could do with the running game if Ds were forced
to stop cheating forward and 'Mondre didn't have to face numbers mismatches all game long.

Since sports gambling is now legal in Mass. I figured a trip to Encore might be in order to put down 100 bucks on the Pats
to win it all. I don't know a lot about real wagers, but I have a strong suspicion that we aren't nearly as far from a shocker like that
as is assumed. When I think about how closely our D kept the opponents in check last season and how sharp the schemes
and execution were (despite the lack of complementary help from the O and STs) then I could that hundred as a modest
risk for a big payoff. Our emerging talent -- all over the roster, is underrated.

The last odds I saw, we were at +5500 to win it all.

Exactly correct. It's going to take some sharp moves in FA and an impact draft, but imagine, if you will, what could happen
if we can get the protection solid enough to square Mac away and balance the offense. A lot of smart people are going to

We need to retool the kicking game and special teams, which is important, but imagine what our D might have accomplished
if they had a chance to catch their breath once in a while. Imagine what we could do with the running game if Ds were forced
to stop cheating forward and 'Mondre didn't have to face numbers mismatches all game long.

Since sports gambling is now legal in Mass. I figured a trip to Encore might be in order to put down 100 bucks on the Pats
to win it all. I don't know a lot about real wagers, but I have a strong suspicion that we aren't nearly as far from a shocker like that
as is assumed. When I think about how closely our D kept the opponents in check last season and how sharp the schemes
and execution were (despite the lack of complementary help from the O and STs) then I could that hundred as a modest
risk for a big payoff. Our emerging talent -- all over the roster, is underrated.

Good stuff, and I largely agree. I'd feel better if we had a comfortable successor to DMac, and if Jon Jones and Meyers weren't possibly walking out the door, but I think of it like this:

We were 8-9 in 2022. Change nothing except swap the offensive coaching staff for this year's incoming staff. How many wins is that worth? Now add effective OTs. Maybe just the same not-horrific OT play we got from Wynn & Brown in 2021, before the nonsensical position swap. How many more wins?

Well, the Dolphins game where we scored 7 and held them to 13 springs to mind. Packers game went to OT. Vikings, Bengals, and of course Raiders were all right down to the wire. That leaves Ravens, Bears, and two Bills games. I think we would have won 4 or 5 of the first five I mentioned, and 1 of those remaining 4. But if I only give them 3 of those 5 really close games that's 11-6.

If we address nothing this offseason but OL, coaching, and retention of our own players, just the progression from our young core makes this a solid playoff team. I don't see a real reason why the Patriots shouldn't be right in the fight for the division in 2023.

Good stuff, and I largely agree. I'd feel better if we had a comfortable successor to DMac, and if Jon Jones and Meyers weren't possibly walking out the door, but I think of it like this:

We were 8-9 in 2022. Change nothing except swap the offensive coaching staff for this year's incoming staff. How many wins is that worth? Now add effective OTs. Maybe just the same not-horrific OT play we got from Wynn & Brown in 2021, before the nonsensical position swap. How many more wins?

Well, the Dolphins game where we scored 7 and held them to 13 springs to mind. Packers game went to OT. Vikings, Bengals, and of course Raiders were all right down to the wire. That leaves Ravens, Bears, and two Bills games. I think we would have won 4 or 5 of the first five I mentioned, and 1 of those remaining 4. But if I only give them 3 of those 5 really close games that's 11-6.

If we address nothing this offseason but OL, coaching, and retention of our own players, just the progression from our young core makes this a solid playoff team. I don't see a real reason why the Patriots shouldn't be right in the fight for the division in 2023.
tenor.gif

DHop's no trade clause has been voided bc of his ped suspension last year. He's due $19M in '23 and $15M in '24, so $17M avg.
With no Kyler Murray for a large part of next year, AZ may want to move Hopkins.

Hawg lays the bet? Far better odds than the lottery!

View: https://twitter.com/PFF_Bet/status/1626258263573405699

I'll just leave this here. (Really hope we can reach a deal with Meyers)

FpG2-LLaUAE-lXX
Been asking to re-sign since LAST off season. I am starting to think you are not taking my posts directly to BB.

:coffee:

Judon❣️

How could any sane human not love it.

First training camp challenging speed "Skill Players" running up that hill? Mount Motherfucker? Marine friends here will get the reference.

Judon?

Yeah. Been on it with him from day 1.

“I actually love everything about it,” he recently said on the Jim Rome Show. “I love the Boston seaport, downtown area, and I just like the camaraderie amongst the teams. I was in Maryland, where our next closest team was in D.C. But we get love from the [Celtics], from the Bruins, from the Red Sox — everybody out there is showing us love, and we do it to them and just support each other.

“I really like that, and I really like the town. But, most importantly, I love playing football. So, the Patriot Way is my way. I like being in the building. I enjoy the people around the building. I really just like being there.”

Back