Looking at the Patriots 2023

I wonder if the brass is looking at Bryant as McCourty's heir apparent. He doesn't have McCourty's raw speed, but he's rangey, heady, and disciplined, and he can tackle. Not a man cover corner, but those instincts might be a nice fit. I'd prefer him to be an inch or two taller and 10 lbs heavier, but it's not a hill to die on.

Alternatively, Dugger's improving coverage skills make him McCourty's de facto replacement and Phillips becomes the starter in Dugger's role. And there's always Bledsoe to consider, I guess. Seemed like he had a strong camp, but got buried in the Patriots insane depth at safety. But when guys went down with injuries he never emerged, which isn't a great sign.

I hope we have a better plan than to replace McCourty with Bryant, but I admit that I haven't considered that Bryant might be better suited to be a Safety. A little.

He's a try-hard kid with speed who tackles and doesn't seem to make major mistakes, but he gets his pocket picked when he's in position way too often
for my tastes. Does he have short arms? He plays like he does. He's got Wilhite-itis. He's all over somebody and they box him out and come away with the ball.

If I had to come up with a nickname for him it'd be "Scrappy", but that isn't necessarily a compliment.

Bailey's suspension isn't surprising.

However, I've got to find out why Jack Jones was suspended.

Fl02aZuXgAIGawr

Miscommunication. Got it. Doubt it.

When you're a Patriot and you've got an injury you're expected to give total effort to getting back on the field and
maybe Jones figured he was going to start summer vacation early and just skip the rehab. When I've heard him speak about how he "matured"
his last year in College, after multiple suspensions and teams prior to then, it sounded like he was reading from a script. I also noticed that he was
on the cocky side in spouting off, after his 4th game as a pro and pick sixing Aaron Rodgers:

“Personally, I feel like it’s disrespectful to throw an out route on me,” Jones said. “If you can throw the ball past me to get to the receiver, I’m no good.”

Soon as I heard him say that I thought ahhhhh......shit.....here we go. He doesn't get it.

While positive thinking is nice, I'm sure Bill thought that was completely ludicrous thing for a one-month rookie to say, especially in regards to
a QB who has performed at an elite level for many years. Maturity? Not so much. Jones played very well for the most part but if he thinks he's an instant
superstar who gets to make his own rules here then he'll find out otherwise. Unfortunately for him and for us, there will be teams lined up to show
love regardless of whether he's got an attitude or not.

I imagine we'll be willing to work with him moving forward, because we need a kid that can cover like he can, but he's got to show us he wants to be here.

We'll see.

Miscommunication. Got it. Doubt it.

When you're a Patriot and you've got an injury you're expected to give total effort to getting back on the field and
maybe Jones figured he was going to start summer vacation early and just skip the rehab. When I've heard him speak about how he "matured"
his last year in College, after multiple suspensions and teams prior to then, it sounded like he was reading from a script. I also noticed that he was
on the cocky side in spouting off, after his 4th game as a pro and pick sixing Aaron Rodgers:

“Personally, I feel like it’s disrespectful to throw an out route on me,” Jones said. “If you can throw the ball past me to get to the receiver, I’m no good.”

Soon as I heard him say that I thought ahhhhh......shit.....here we go. He doesn't get it.

While positive thinking is nice, I'm sure Bill thought that was completely ludicrous thing for a one-month rookie to say, especially in regards to
a QB who has performed at an elite level for many years. Maturity? Not so much. Jones played very well for the most part but if he thinks he's an instant
superstar who gets to make his own rules here then he'll find out otherwise. Unfortunately for him and for us, there will be teams lined up to show
love regardless of whether he's got an attitude or not.

I imagine we'll be willing to work with him moving forward, because we need a kid that can cover like he can, but he's got to show us he wants to be here.

We'll see.

Missing rehab appointments is the cause his suspension according to Mike Reiss.

Missing rehab appointments is the cause his suspension according to Mike Reiss.

Yes. And Bailey apparently has a different opinion as to his back injury as the team's medical people. I don't know what to think about that,
but backs are notoriously difficult to diagnose. I'm leaning to a parting of ways with him, which is disappointing. Up until this season he was
typically outstanding.

With most all the attention on our passing game and play calling almost nobody has noticed that we are losing the field-position battle on
almost every change of possession and that makes it much harder to win football games. Especially when an average Patriots game features
plenty of 3 and outs on both sides of the ball and a lot of punts.

I could also point out that the "Bill is too old" posse has completely missed the opportunity to hammer him on this situation. If I subscribed to
their narrative, which I don't, I would've said something like:

Belichick is so full of himself and his overrated "theories" that he went out and found the first left-footed punter available because he always said the reverse
rotation causes problems for the punt returner but he neglected to notice that Palardy is the worst punter in the entire league by a wide margin. It's
pure arrogance.

Bill out-smarted himself this time. AGAIN and needs to retire so we can hire somebody young and smart with a cool haircut that knows how to use a Surface Tablet
and change the digital clock in his car. Put the old bastard out in the garage because company is coming over.

Looks like we are picking 15 again. We need minimum 1 OT, a punter, a free safety, 1-2 LB, 1-2 TE, a nbr 1 cb. What else am I missing except wrs? I think we are ok by getting rid of Agholor and keeping what we have.

Looks like we are picking 15 again. We need minimum 1 OT, a punter, a free safety, 1-2 LB, 1-2 TE, a nbr 1 cb. What else am I missing except wrs? I think we are ok by getting rid of Agholor and keeping what we have.
Based on today I'd put CB top of list.
Someone 6' or so.

Agholor will surely get the eject button and I expect we'll lose Jakobi Meyers as well. Bourne is not a sure thing. I expect we'll add several talented skill players and could end
up overhauling the whole position. Given the poor return on investment in Agholor and Parker, I'm sure people will be nervous about signing FAs WRs, but my guess is Bill knows
we need to get significantly better at the skill positions to turn it around.

I hope we have a better plan than to replace McCourty with Bryant, but I admit that I haven't considered that Bryant might be better suited to be a Safety. A little.

He's a try-hard kid with speed who tackles and doesn't seem to make major mistakes, but he gets his pocket picked when he's in position way too often
for my tastes. Does he have short arms? He plays like he does. He's got Wilhite-itis. He's all over somebody and they box him out and come away with the ball.

If I had to come up with a nickname for him it'd be "Scrappy", but that isn't necessarily a compliment.

Miles Bryant is pure garbage and has zero business playing snaps on a championship level defense
Both special teams TDs given up were whiffs by Bryant
And he was roasted all game on defense.
Miles Byant sucks

Agholor will surely get the eject button and I expect we'll lose Jakobi Meyers as well. Bourne is not a sure thing. I expect we'll add several talented skill players and could end
up overhauling the whole position. Given the poor return on investment in Agholor and Parker, I'm sure people will be nervous about signing FAs WRs, but my guess is Bill knows
we need to get significantly better at the skill positions to turn it around.

Adamantly against yet another WR. Fix the OC position first.
Then get players that fix this competent OC’s scheme.
Stop wasting picks and resources on overpaid/over drafted guys who put up JAG stats.
Agholor, Parker, Thornton and the entire crappy chuck it deep offense does not work. See this past 4th quarter, chucked it and got 2 more INTs. It’s terrible and is not worth it. It turns the ball over or generates a lot of 3-and-outs.
Center the passing offense around Meyers, Bourne, and Henry.

If the offense played the entire year like it did for most of today's game, likely an 11+ win team. It's sad to finish 8-9 with such a strong D. But this team never felt like the Pats. Awful discipline and penalties all year, plus taking an eternity to make impactful adjustments.

Mac looked better today but the ST play was garbage. It's always something this season. Bill needs to get a handle on this team again and dramatically move things in the right direction this offseason.

Let's feel free to spitball here.

What are the chances Bill goes nuclear and goes all in to get Lamar Jackson to NE?

Back