Looking at the Patriots 2023

3-3 or better in the division is a must to make the playoffs IF 10-7 can get them in.

3-3 in division
4-2 in other AFC
3-2 in NFC
I don't think 10 will be enough in the AFC. I like your records except for 4-2 in other AFC. I think that could likely be 2-4 but hoping for 3-3.

I don't think 10 will be enough in the AFC. I like your records except for 4-2 in other AFC. I think that could likely be 2-4 but hoping for 3-3.
Why not? They're all beating up on each other, too. When I look at how the rest of AFC East matches up among each other:
  • Phins beat Bills, slight edge
  • Jets/Bills are a wash
  • Jets beat Phins, slight edge

Then consider that additional schedule is, if anything, tougher on the other AFC East teams except the Jeets:
  • Buffalo has Jax on the schedule, plus @KC, @Philly, @CIN,
  • Miami has @KC, @Philly, @Bal, and has to travel to @BUF in January.

As to the Jets, their opponents are easier overall, but consider the fickleness of their home field advantage. Then consider Rodgers' history of slow starts ("R-E-L-A-X!") and his likelihood of doing something Rodgers-y to trigger the NY media in interviews, especially if they're struggling early. Then consider that they could legitimately have things go reasonably well at a fundamental level and still be 2-4 (or worse!) heading into their early bye. They start with BUF, @DAL, NE (in a game where the crowd may start to turn on them), and then host the Chiefs and Eagles with a trip to Mile High sandwiched in the middle. Now, admittedly their schedule gets very favorable after the bye - (Giants, Chargers, Raiders, Falcons, Texans, Commies, and Browns between week 8 and week 17) - but if they have a rough start they might be in Jets-ian disarray and unable to take advantage of it. Given their history with Buffalo and NE, if they don't win hosting the Chargers for Week 9 MNF, the warm and fuzzy Jets fans (who have no inferiority complex!) might still be looking for the first home victory from their new glorious savior when they host the Phins for a Thanksgiving hangover game!

That said, when I look at this holistically, I'd prefer to have the Jets be excellent, sweep the Bills and Fins, and still knuckle under to the big/little brother syndrome they have going on with the Patriots. Because as everyone knows, if a time traveler put end of season records in front of Jets fans, and they showed 15-2, every d@mn one of them would know in their hearts where those two losses fell, and they would tremble.

What people might be really underestimating next season is how good our defense is going to be. For all the talk about the all singing all dancing offenses in the AFC, NO team will enjoy playing our team with that bad-ass front 7 and the physicality and athleticism in the backfield.

I would like to make an early plea to the officials. For f**k sake, will you at least call some fo the blatant, almost comical holds on Matt Judon next season???

That said, when I look at this holistically, I'd prefer to have the Jets be excellent, sweep the Bills and Fins, and still knuckle under to the big/little brother syndrome they have going on with the Patriots. Because as everyone knows, if a time traveler put end of season records in front of Jets fans, and they showed 15-2, every d@mn one of them would know in their hearts where those two losses fell, and they would tremble.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

What people might be really underestimating next season is how good our defense is going to be. For all the talk about the all singing all dancing offenses in the AFC, NO team will enjoy playing our team with that bad-ass front 7 and the physicality and athleticism in the backfield.

I would like to make an early plea to the officials. For f**k sake, will you at least call some fo the blatant, almost comical holds on Matt Judon next season???
This, too. The team is better than we think.

Iz fersrius. Ask @jetsknicks1 , he knows:
Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. I found what you wrote to be hilarious, as in really funny.

The defense should be as good as any in the NFL.

I do worry about relying on that in 2023, only because the calls are so skewed towards the offense. I mean a DB can barely brush a WRs jersey and a QB like Rodgers just has to make the fisting motion and get the call.
I remember listening to Bart Scott, I know everyone here hates him, he was saying the Chiefs run an illegal pick play with Kelce half of the time and never get called.
It’s been commanded from the top that the league wants offense, questionable calls in the 3rd and 4th quarter be damned.
And it’s turning into the NBA where the stars get the calls. Unfortunately the pats right now don’t have many stars.
So am I excited about this defense? Yes. Very. I’m just waiting for the BS holding call on a Jets WR, or the late hit on Allen or Tua.

The defense should be as good as any in the NFL.

I do worry about relying on that in 2023, only because the calls are so skewed towards the offense. I mean a DB can barely brush a WRs jersey and a QB like Rodgers just has to make the fisting motion and get the call.
I remember listening to Bart Scott, I know everyone here hates him, he was saying the Chiefs run an illegal pick play with Kelce half of the time and never get called.
It’s been commanded from the top that the league wants offense, questionable calls in the 3rd and 4th quarter be damned.
And it’s turning into the NBA where the stars get the calls. Unfortunately the pats right now don’t have many stars.
So am I excited about this defense? Yes. Very. I’m just waiting for the BS holding call on a Jets WR, or the late hit on Allen or Tua.
Agreed, except I suspect the offense turns the corner into the top half of the league as well. This diverse group of skill players doesn't need a superstar at QB, it needs a point guard distributor. To be a top 5 offense, it needs a superstar QB.

Complementary football, right? Let the defense do it's thing, and the offense (and STs) helps them by not turning the ball over or putting them on short fields, with short rest, or for too much of the game. Will the offense "actually" be a top 10 group? Unlikely. Could it be a top 10 group statistically, in terms of first downs, time of position and even points scored? Yeah, that could definitely happen.

Say you "actually" have the 17th best offense in the league in a vacuum. By DVOA, EPA, eyeball test, or what have you - however you think you get an "actual, true ranking." But if the defense gives you short fields, keeps opposing defenses on the field a lot so not only are there more opportunities for errors, but they're also tired, keeps the offense from being predictable and having to play from behind? If it's an offense that doesn't hurt it's defense with mistakes and a lot of 3 and outs, presto! Top 10 scoring offense! And your #17 offense in a vacuum is maybe #12-15 even by those same statistics, because they're running more plays than average against defenders that are tired, stressed, and demoralized.

Agreed, except I suspect the offense turns the corner into the top half of the league as well. This diverse group of skill players doesn't need a superstar at QB, it needs a point guard distributor. To be a top 5 offense, it needs a superstar QB.

Complementary football, right? Let the defense do it's thing, and the offense (and STs) helps them by not turning the ball over or putting them on short fields, with short rest, or for too much of the game. Will the offense "actually" be a top 10 group? Unlikely. Could it be a top 10 group statistically, in terms of first downs, time of position and even points scored? Yeah, that could definitely happen.

Say you "actually" have the 17th best offense in the league in a vacuum. By DVOA, EPA, eyeball test, or what have you - however you think you get an "actual, true ranking." But if the defense gives you short fields, keeps opposing defenses on the field a lot so not only are there more opportunities for errors, but they're also tired, keeps the offense from being predictable and having to play from behind? If it's an offense that doesn't hurt it's defense with mistakes and a lot of 3 and outs, presto! Top 10 scoring offense! And your #17 offense in a vacuum is maybe #12-15 even by those same statistics, because they're running more plays than average against defenders that are tired, stressed, and demoralized.
100%

If the Patriots see ways Malik Cunningham can add value, look for him to be QB2 on a game to game basis so they can use those packages or his athleticism. Zappe would be QB3 for a given game, only able to be activated if Mac and Malik couldn't go. But he'd (presumably) be the week to week backup if Mac had to remain sidelined. In that case, Zappe would go from QB3 to QB1, with Malik at QB2 in both cases.Mac, McSorley, or a TBD PS QB would be the QB3.

If the Patriots see ways Malik Cunningham can add value, look for him to be QB2 on a game to game basis so they can use those packages or his athleticism. Zappe would be QB3 for a given game, only able to be activated if Mac and Malik couldn't go. But he'd (presumably) be the week to week backup if Mac had to remain sidelined. In that case, Zappe would go from QB3 to QB1, with Malik at QB2 in both cases.Mac, McSorley, or a TBD PS QB would be the QB3.
The emergency qb must be on the 53. He cannot be a ps player.

Yes. I meant if Mac is hurt badly enough that he really can't play, someone on the PS (McSorley or whoever) would be activated to become QB3.

If they don't have a Cunningham package, or don't plan to use him in other ways, it's all irrelevant - whoever earns QB2 is QB2, etc. Just thought it was interesting that it's a system that can be worked to gain a little more flexibility if Cunningham offers something of value.

Zappe would be the emergency QB, not Malik.

1. Cunningham activated from PS

2. Zappe named emergency QB.

3. During the game Jones and Cunningham play QB, going in and out at Patriots' discretion.

4 If both Jones and Cunningham get hurt and cannot play, then Zappe finishes the game

Back