Looking at the Patriots 2023

Adam Schein says 2023 will see the Pats miss the playoffs in BB's last season. (It'll be his last seasona because Kraft said geting back to the playoffs is important which obviousy means Kraft wil fire BB if the Pats a frozen out).
Tell me again how many times Adam Schein has failed to have accurate information?
This is about how I recall most of his stories going.

Jesus, even Curran is saying the Patriots are vastly different and that they look they most impressive and together since 2019...

Curran both interests and repels me.

I think he's a bit of a pussy in that he uses sarcasm to, for instance, use Belichick quotes against the HC which has the dual purpose
of indirectly telling us what Curran himself thinks (he doesn't care for the man) while simultaneously protecting his job-- which would
be hard to do if he just came out and stated that Bill sucks. He prefers sleight-of-hand.

In this unusual (for Curran) article, he suggests that he is impressed, but that Bob Kraft is looking at his watch and waiting for the Glory days to return
and doesn't want to be told "we'll see how it goes". Again. Obviously, Tom E. has heard that phrase one too many times. Too bad for him.

Nobody should be fooled by this piece. Curran is just using it to frame himself as a hopeful observer but the second something bad happens
he'll be right there to toss his little bombs; "I thought we were told that things were going to be OK, but....I guess it really was all Tom Brady, blah, blah".

He is not without talent, though, and sprinkles in interesting stuff amongst his toxic bullshit. The three Chefs part was well-done.

View: https://twitter.com/CJGolson/status/1664363266947141635?s=20

Assuming this is true, I don't know how I feel about it. I would want to trade Parker if DHop comes.

Golson has good credibility. He broke the Jonnu Smith signing by the Pats before Schefter did. Gesicki, too.

I know how I'd feel about it! DHop is sneaky great. He lets defenders think they have him covered and at the last moment he gains separation to make the catch. This guy has moves.
Wouldn't it be something if BB pulls this off! I'd expect a 2-3 yr contract with short cap money this year with a high signing bonus, high % of guarantees and bigger money year 2 and 3.
Plus, signing DHop would keep him away from other teams we're competing against. Win/win

How about trading Bourne? He was responsible for a lot of the route mix-ups last year which got him in the doghouse, not only with Patricia but also with BB. He has talent but he's not the brightest bulb to be able to run routes correctly.

JuJu, Parker and Hopkins would be a great starting group backed up by Tyquan and Boutte for situational use as they learn. Then we'd have Montgomery and Douglas from the slot for Edelman's role when needed. That's a lot of versatility that covers short yardage on 3rd or 4th down as well as long yardage for playing from behind.

DHop's talks with the Texans didn't go well and his talks with Sean Payton were all negative (from reports). Buffalo doesn't have the cap to sign him easily, the Cowboys say they aren't interested. The Chiefs could be a wildcard but they'll want a discounted price which DHop won't like. The Jets could sign him but how long will Rodgers play? The Jags, Chargers, Bears, and Lions all have flaws but, nevertheless, they're wildcards, too.

Hopkins wants $$ first, a good QB second and a chance at a SB 3rd. RKK can put up the money, Mac was very good with a good OC and no HC has more SB appearances than BB.
I feel like I could sell Hopkins that we check all his boxes AND we have a top 5 D, so I'm pretty certain BB and BOB can sell him on the Pats.

Do it and watch this team roar.

Last edited:
Serious question, why wouldn't you?
Because those receivers are good enough to bail him out on his errant throws.

Adam Schein says 2023 will see the Pats miss the playoffs in BB's last season. (It'll be his last seasona because Kraft said geting back to the playoffs is important which obviousy means Kraft wil fire BB if the Pats a frozen out).
Honest to God, I didn't know Adam Schein was still employed.

Curran both interests and repels me.

I think he's a bit of a pussy in that he uses sarcasm to, for instance, use Belichick quotes against the HC which has the dual purpose
of indirectly telling us what Curran himself thinks (he doesn't care for the man) while simultaneously protecting his job-- which would
be hard to do if he just came out and stated that Bill sucks. He prefers sleight-of-hand.

In this unusual (for Curran) article, he suggests that he is impressed, but that Bob Kraft is looking at his watch and waiting for the Glory days to return
and doesn't want to be told "we'll see how it goes". Again. Obviously, Tom E. has heard that phrase one too many times. Too bad for him.

Nobody should be fooled by this piece. Curran is just using it to frame himself as a hopeful observer but the second something bad happens
he'll be right there to toss his little bombs; "I thought we were told that things were going to be OK, but....I guess it really was all Tom Brady, blah, blah".

He is not without talent, though, and sprinkles in interesting stuff amongst his toxic bullshit. The three Chefs part was well-done.
Every time I hear or read Curran I find myself waiting for the 2 or 3 zingers he feels obliged to put in every piece he does on the Pats.
He's either a sneaky Felger or a smarter Borges - both descriptions fit him well.
He was good once upon a time but he got lazy and quit doing the dirty work. Now he dishes out his opinions as facts, living on past cred.
I know this...If I only had 1 contact inside the Patriots I'd still have more than Curran does.

Golson has good credibility. He broke the Jonnu Smith signing by the Pats before Schefter did. Gesicki, too.

I know how I'd feel about it! DHop is sneaky great. He lets defenders think they have him covered and at the last moment he gains separation to make the catch. This guy has moves.
Wouldn't it be something if BB pulls this off! I'd expect a 2-3 yr contract with short cap money this year with a high signing bonus, high % of guarantees and bigger money year 2 and 3.
Plus, signing DHop would keep him away from other teams we're competing against. Win/win

How about trading Bourne? He was responsible for a lot of the route mix-ups last year which got him in the doghouse, not only with Patricia but also with BB. He has talent but he's not the brightest bulb to be able to run routes correctly.

JuJu, Parker and Hopkins would be a great starting group backed up by Tyquan and Boutte for situational use as they learn. Then we'd have Montgomery and Douglas from the slot for Edelman's role when needed. That's a lot of versatility that covers short yardage on 3rd or 4th down as well as long yardage for playing from behind.

DHop's talks with the Texans didn't go well and his talks with Sean Payton were all negative (from reports). Buffalo doesn't have the cap to sign him easily, the Cowboys say they aren't interested. The Chiefs could be a wildcard but they'll want a discounted price which DHop won't like. The Jets could sign him but how long will Rodgers play? The Jags, Chargers, Bears, and Lions all have flaws but, nevertheless, they're wildcards, too.

Hopkins wants $$ first, a good QB second and a chance at a SB 3rd. RKK can put up the money, Mac was very good with a good OC and no HC has more SB appearances than BB.
I feel like I could sell Hopkins that we check all his boxes AND we have a top 5 D, so I'm pretty certain BB and BOB can sell him on the Pats.

God, how much would the Jets love to get some "revenge" on us by signing Hopkins? It'd be a PR coup for their fanbase and the front office.

I agree that Bourne, as positive and upbeat of a guy as he usually is, has issues that make him likely to be traded or cut this Summer if he doesn't gell with BoB's system. I've speculated before that I think he might possibly have ADHD issues or something along those lines, but he is a talented kid who can break NFL tackles and make things happen on the field. At times, he was about the only guy we had who could do those things. I'd say it's up to him to buckle down and get the playbook right or we'll move on from him. If we sign Hopkins he'd be the odd man out and that may still be the case if we don't.

On a related note, I won't be surprised if Jack Jones doesn't last the Summer here, either. Bill will definitely test him to see if he is on board or not and we'll see how that goes.

I don't see the need if he wants big $. He is getting up there. Been injured. There is only one ball each snap.

WRT Bourne, he was negatively impacted by Patricia in many ways last season (as were many) not the least of which was the early, and Patricia ego sustained, dog house residency. The negative impact Patricia had on this team last season is still not fully appreciated IMO. Again, I feel like I have some additional context having watched the shit show here in Detroit up close. Patricia just wasn't a big enough person to look hard at himself and see the areas of repeated concern and failure. Some people never get there.

God, how much would the Jets love to get some "revenge" on us by signing Hopkins? It'd be a PR coup for their fanbase and the front office.

I agree that Bourne, as positive and upbeat of a guy as he usually is, has issues that make him likely to be traded or cut this Summer if he doesn't gell with BoB's system. I've speculated before that I think he might possibly have ADHD issues or something along those lines, but he is a talented kid who can break NFL tackles and make things happen on the field. At times, he was about the only guy we had who could do those things. I'd say it's up to him to buckle down and get the playbook right or we'll move on from him. If we sign Hopkins he'd be the odd man out and that may still be the case if we don't.

On a related note, I won't be surprised if Jack Jones doesn't last the Summer here, either. Bill will definitely test him to see if he is on board or not and we'll see how that goes.
I admit that I am biased towards Bourne and against Parker. I always considered the Parker acquisition as "meh," and haven't seen anything that makes me think there's a difference maker under there somewhere. Nor do I think he's enough of a "Steady Eddy" to justify the cost to acquire him or his current salary.

I think his game/skillset is most redundant if Hopkins comes aboard. Bourne has his issues, but gives the Patriots something they don't have in a developed player. Unless he's really not getting it or actively toxic, I'd prefer to have him around. He's a stealth difference maker in that he doesn't specifically command CB1 attention, but at any given moment can posterize your CB3 or undisciplined zone coverage.

Hopkins coming in means that Hopkins/Henry/Gesicki/Smith should comprise the bulk of your base, in-structure targets, and that's an excellent group - your high-percentage and high-volume touches won't be undervalued, and the YAC and mismatch opportunities are built-in. Parker replaces...who in that group? No one. You target Parker instead of anyone in that group on any given play and you're losing on both the average outcome and the potential upside.

So, Parker would replace who of your higher-volatility touches? Thornton, Bourne, Boutte, Douglas, Strong, Montgomery, Robinson? We don't know about a few of those, but...No, because the reason you have those guys is for the explosive element, which Parker doesn't have. AND in most cases you're also sacrificing player development by taking those touches away.

Bring in Hopkins, trade away Parker, let Hopkins mentor Thornton and Bourne, Boutte and Douglas.

I trend to agree with you here. He could help or he can hurt the team over all.
I do have some significant concern around what I've heard about his attitude towards practice. Seems to me to be about as un-Patriots as you can get to go full Iverson, isn't it? Toxic to the youth movement we have on the team ATM, potentially?

I trend to agree with you here. He could help or he can hurt the team over all.

This is why I tend to think of DHop as a guy that the team might be wise to skip over. I could get over it if we did sign him,
but I can see it's a bit of a risk.

As far as Bill's crush on him, I can see how he would respect a guy a great deal as a player, but not really want to
have to personally deal with their not-necessarily ideal practice habits/work ethic etc., etc.

Case in point being Lawrence Taylor. I doubt Bill would want to introduce his train-wreck off-field issue into his
own locker room no matter what he did on Sundays. That is how Bill rolls.

Note that I'm not comparing DHOP to LT in that regard, but I have heard he can be a bit of a diva for a long time
and always factor that stuff in before deciding whether or not they might fit here. I accept the Patriot Way, although that
can sometimes seem limiting.

I admit that I am biased towards Bourne and against Parker. I always considered the Parker acquisition as "meh," and haven't seen anything that makes me think there's a difference maker under there somewhere. Nor do I think he's enough of a "Steady Eddy" to justify the cost to acquire him or his current salary.

I think his game/skillset is most redundant if Hopkins comes aboard. Bourne has his issues, but gives the Patriots something they don't have in a developed player. Unless he's really not getting it or actively toxic, I'd prefer to have him around. He's a stealth difference maker in that he doesn't specifically command CB1 attention, but at any given moment can posterize your CB3 or undisciplined zone coverage.

Hopkins coming in means that Hopkins/Henry/Gesicki/Smith should comprise the bulk of your base, in-structure targets, and that's an excellent group - your high-percentage and high-volume touches won't be undervalued, and the YAC and mismatch opportunities are built-in. Parker replaces...who in that group? No one. You target Parker instead of anyone in that group on any given play and you're losing on both the average outcome and the potential upside.

So, Parker would replace who of your higher-volatility touches? Thornton, Bourne, Boutte, Douglas, Strong, Montgomery, Robinson? We don't know about a few of those, but...No, because the reason you have those guys is for the explosive element, which Parker doesn't have. AND in most cases you're also sacrificing player development by taking those touches away.

Bring in Hopkins, trade away Parker, let Hopkins mentor Thornton and Bourne, Boutte and Douglas.
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before.

DeAndre Hopkins is 6 months older than Devante Parker. With less injury history. Not 6 years. It is literally a slam-dunk no-brainer.

It's a 2-year window. If the Patriots see it like I do, it's even more of a slam-dunk no-brainer. 2-year, fully guaranteed $30m, trade Parker for pennies (you GOT him for pennies)

I found this interesting. Tom again putting the media schtick about him and Bill in the dumpster. Bill was one of the first people to text him when he won the SB with Tampa. The interviews he’s been doing are very good. He’s genuinely excited to come back here for the season opener, says he always pulls for the Patriots and hopes he can bring us luck against the Eagles.

View: https://twitter.com/titletalktcl/status/1664777434237992961?s=46&t=OXSJj7papmFRuSSM559SYg

I found this interesting. Tom again putting the media schtick about him and Bill in the dumpster. Bill was one of the first people to text him when he won the SB with Tampa. The interviews he’s been doing are very good. He’s genuinely excited to come back here for the season opener, says he always pulls for the Patriots and hopes he can bring us luck against the Eagles.

View: https://twitter.com/titletalktcl/status/1664777434237992961?s=46&t=OXSJj7papmFRuSSM559SYg

From my vantage point the Tom vs Bill storyline was one of the most overhyped stories in all of sports. They were together longer than any other coach/qb, some friction and animosity built up overtime, and after 20 plus years and 6 rings they went through a fairly amicable divorce with both realizing that they were good for each other when it came to football.

My mother was a huge Steelers fan and we watched the documentary about the relationship between Noll and Bradshaw when it first came out. She was shocked at the level of hatred that Bradshaw still harbored for Noll even though Noll had passed long before many of the interviews. She hadn't heard any rumblings about a huge rift between the two during their super bowl run or even after Bradshaw retired, other than Noll was a hard ass and all business. She wasn't just a casual fan either and listened to sports radio daily (Myron Cope).

It's amazing how vastly different the media coverage for sports is today including fans' instant access to social media.

Last edited:
From my vantage point the Tom vs Bill storyline was one of the most overhyped stories in all of sports. They were together longer than any other coach/qb, some friction and animosity built up overtime, and after 20 plus years and 6 rings they went through a fairly amicable divorce with both realizing that they were good for each other when it came to football.

My mother was a huge Steelers fan and we watched the documentary about the relationship between Noll and Bradshaw together when it first came out. She was shocked at the level of hatred that Bradshaw still harbored for Noll even though Noll had passed long before many of the interviews. She hadn't heard any rumblings about a huge rift between the two other than Noll was a hard ass and all business. She wasn't just a casual fan either and listened to sports radio daily (Myron Cope).

It's amazing how vastly different the media coverage for sports is today including fans' instant access to social media.
Montana and Walsh were certainly not close either. The players used to say they had no 'love' for Walsh, Ronnie Lott said he used to drive them crazy most days...BUT....he said they all knew damn well that Walsh was going to put them into the best possible place each week to win games so they all respected him.

If you want to see BOB's favorite offensive concepts this will keep you busy for a couple of hours.
It's free to sign up for Coachtube

Back