Looking at the Patriots 2023

I am picking my gray matter and I want to say it was Lawyer Milloy who crashed his car on Grove Street in Foxborough on the way to practice.That was back when they practiced at Foxborough State school field and the rumor was that he was stoned off his ass.
Not related to the incident dkf is talking about, I think the incident you describe above was actually Irving Fryar.

Last edited:

1. Offensive Tackle​

Free Agents: Isaiah Wynn, Marcus Cannon, Connor McDermott, Yodny Cajuste (RFA)
There are two reasons why attacking offensive tackle with high-end assets is an absolute must. New England had arguably the worst tackle play in the league this past season with a stationary pocket passer who doesn't have elite escapability.
According to Sports Info Solutions, Pats OTs had a blown block rate on all plays this season of 3.4 percent, which was the tenth-highest in the NFL. Plus, the position group was called for 27 penalties, with starting left tackle Trent Brown's 13 flags ranking tied for second-most among all OLs. With Cannon and Wynn on injured reserve, due in part to injury but also because of poor performance, the Pats had to sign McDermott off the Jets practice squad in late November, and the journeyman right tackle ended up starting the last six games. From the jump when the Pats flipped Brown (RT to LT) and Wynn (LT to RT) in camp, offensive tackle was a weak point of the team that hurt their offense as much as anything.
The Patriots could be heading for a complete overhaul at offensive tackle. Although Brown had streaks of serviceable play and is under contract next season, the Pats left tackle earned all his playing-time incentives this past season, making his 2023 cap number $12.25 million. Releasing him would create $11 million in cap space, while the revolving door at right tackle are all free agents (Cannon, McDermott, Wynn).
Looking at potential offseason targets in the early going, the free agency class has two intriguing options at the top in Chiefs LT Orlando Brown and 49ers RT Mike McGlinchey. We'll also discuss first-round prospects Paris Johnson (Ohio State), Peter Skoronski (Northwestern), and Broderick Jones (Georgia) throughout draft season. We'd like to see the Patriots sign and draft a pair of tackles with two premium assets (cap space, top-50 pick).

2. Wide Receiver​

Free Agents: Jakobi Meyers, Nelson Agholor

The Patriots are again chasing the Holy Grail, a bonafide number-one receiver. Once upon a time, you could hear arguments that having a "guy" at receiver was overrated and not worth the price tag. But glancing at the AFC's playoff field makes it challenging to make that case anymore. The Chiefs have Kelce, the Bills have Diggs, the Bengals have Chase, and so on. That's the game now, and the Pats offense lacks a game-changing weapon that demands attention and impacts how opponents structure game plans when they face New England. It stresses their current pass-catcher to punch above their weights and on quarterback Mac Jones to make plays. Until they finally land a star receiver, it's hard to envision the Patriots having an elite offense, but how do they go about getting that guy in the building?
The easiest way to land a player of that caliber with any position is through the draft. However, this is not a position that the Pats successfully draft. There are three first-round prospects worth mentioning TCU's Quentin Johnston, USC's Jordan Addison, and Ohio State WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba. In free agency, your own guy is the top dog. Meyers, who hits the open market at age 26, projects to make around $13 million per year as an unrestricted free agent. With somewhat underwhelming options there, the trade market is New England's best bet. DeAndre Hopkins will be moved, and the 2020 draft class will begin looking for extensions (Jeudy, Lamb, Jefferson, Higgins). The first three names have fifth-year options that'll likely be picked up. But keep an eye on Higgins and Jeudy, who could be available.

1. Offensive Tackle​

Free Agents: Isaiah Wynn, Marcus Cannon, Connor McDermott, Yodny Cajuste (RFA)
There are two reasons why attacking offensive tackle with high-end assets is an absolute must. New England had arguably the worst tackle play in the league this past season with a stationary pocket passer who doesn't have elite escapability.
According to Sports Info Solutions, Pats OTs had a blown block rate on all plays this season of 3.4 percent, which was the tenth-highest in the NFL. Plus, the position group was called for 27 penalties, with starting left tackle Trent Brown's 13 flags ranking tied for second-most among all OLs. With Cannon and Wynn on injured reserve, due in part to injury but also because of poor performance, the Pats had to sign McDermott off the Jets practice squad in late November, and the journeyman right tackle ended up starting the last six games. From the jump when the Pats flipped Brown (RT to LT) and Wynn (LT to RT) in camp, offensive tackle was a weak point of the team that hurt their offense as much as anything.
The Patriots could be heading for a complete overhaul at offensive tackle. Although Brown had streaks of serviceable play and is under contract next season, the Pats left tackle earned all his playing-time incentives this past season, making his 2023 cap number $12.25 million. Releasing him would create $11 million in cap space, while the revolving door at right tackle are all free agents (Cannon, McDermott, Wynn).
Looking at potential offseason targets in the early going, the free agency class has two intriguing options at the top in Chiefs LT Orlando Brown and 49ers RT Mike McGlinchey. We'll also discuss first-round prospects Paris Johnson (Ohio State), Peter Skoronski (Northwestern), and Broderick Jones (Georgia) throughout draft season. We'd like to see the Patriots sign and draft a pair of tackles with two premium assets (cap space, top-50 pick).

2. Wide Receiver​

Free Agents: Jakobi Meyers, Nelson Agholor

The Patriots are again chasing the Holy Grail, a bonafide number-one receiver. Once upon a time, you could hear arguments that having a "guy" at receiver was overrated and not worth the price tag. But glancing at the AFC's playoff field makes it challenging to make that case anymore. The Chiefs have Kelce, the Bills have Diggs, the Bengals have Chase, and so on. That's the game now, and the Pats offense lacks a game-changing weapon that demands attention and impacts how opponents structure game plans when they face New England. It stresses their current pass-catcher to punch above their weights and on quarterback Mac Jones to make plays. Until they finally land a star receiver, it's hard to envision the Patriots having an elite offense, but how do they go about getting that guy in the building?
The easiest way to land a player of that caliber with any position is through the draft. However, this is not a position that the Pats successfully draft. There are three first-round prospects worth mentioning TCU's Quentin Johnston, USC's Jordan Addison, and Ohio State WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba. In free agency, your own guy is the top dog. Meyers, who hits the open market at age 26, projects to make around $13 million per year as an unrestricted free agent. With somewhat underwhelming options there, the trade market is New England's best bet. DeAndre Hopkins will be moved, and the 2020 draft class will begin looking for extensions (Jeudy, Lamb, Jefferson, Higgins). The first three names have fifth-year options that'll likely be picked up. But keep an eye on Higgins and Jeudy, who could be available.

Thing about WR is the Patriots are horrible at high draft pick WR selections. Almost no confidence they’ll pick right. Go OT or CB1 at pick14. Maybe try to get a WR via trade (I personally don’t think it’s a need). A better offensive line, Rham, Hunter/Jonnu, and Meyers back, Bourne, Parker, Thornton is plenty to work with for a top15 offense in 2023.

Thing about WR is the Patriots are horrible at high draft pick WR selections. Almost no confidence they’ll pick right. Go OT or CB1 at pick14. Maybe try to get a WR via trade (I personally don’t think it’s a need). A better offensive line, Rham, Hunter/Jonnu, and Meyers back, Bourne, Parker, Thornton is plenty to work with for a top15 offense in 2023.

I'd like Meyers back but the question is will BB at $13-14M. But he's a WR2, not a WR1.

And when do we begin to acknowledge the probability that BB trades back at 14 to gain a later 1st and another 2nd round pick?
That way he could pick up 2 OTs AND a WR or CB in the first 2 rounds. That's my current thinking. Good players will be there.

I'd like Meyers back but the question is will BB at $13-14M. But he's a WR2, not a WR1.

And when do we begin to acknowledge the probability that BB trades back at 14 to gain a later 1st and another 2nd round pick?
That way he could pick up 2 OTs AND a WR or CB in the first 2 rounds. That's my current thinking. Good players will be there.

If they trade back I’d trust that it’s based on their board and value. But please no weird no-names to try to look smart. Get the best OT or CB1 on the board, preferably from a major SEC or other power conference. If they take another NKeal bust while blue chips are left a bunch of fans will turn sharply on this regime. The Strange and Thornton picks might have already been F ups in 2022.

If they trade back I’d trust that it’s based on their board and value. But please no weird no-names to try to look smart. Get the best OT or CB1 on the board, preferably from a major SEC or other power conference. If they take another NKeal bust while blue chips are left a bunch of fans will turn sharply on this regime. The Strange and Thornton picks might have already been F ups in 2022.
The internet is forever.

N'Keal Harry wasn't a nobody from a no-name school either.

Not related to the incident dkf is talking about, I think the incident you describe above was actually Irving Fryar.
Very well could have been , I am getting old and it's been awhile.I worked the afternoon after it happenedand all the guys were yuking about it.

I remember Fryar being stabbed but I didn't remember the car accident.
Jaqui definitely stabbed Irving right before the Super Bowl, because Irving decided to spend some extra time at the Foxy that week.

Irving crashing his car at halftime after leaving with a separated shoulder was a couple years later.

I am picking my gray matter and I want to say it was Lawyer Milloy who crashed his car on Grove Street in Foxborough on the way to practice.That was back when they practiced at Foxborough State school field and the rumor was that he was stoned off his ass.

The answer can be found in the following joke:

Did you hear about Irving Fryar's Foxboro cutlery problem?

Cutlery problem?

Yeah-- the knife in the kitchen, the spoon up his nose and the fork in the road.

From the article above.
Ouch!
FnZ5hhtXEAICz0u

FnZ5hhwWYAQUUg6

Back