Looking at the Patriots 2023

View: https://twitter.com/tomecurran/status/1636761594175651841

The front office staff has done a masterful job choosing pieces for this offense so far. I can quibble around the length of Gesecki‘s new contract, but I won’t.

Spend to the cap on the three most important areas of need as of now: OT, CB, and maybe LB (whatever variety).

Shore up special teams by making sure we get a rocksolid punter that can flip the field and a kicker that can make those 50+ yard attempts that are so crucial to today’s NFL.

What is Thornton's weakness?

I hear he can't get open

The front office staff has done a masterful job choosing pieces for this offense so far. I can quibble around the length of Gesecki‘s new contract, but I won’t.

Spend to the cap on the three most important areas of need as of now: OT, CB, and maybe LB (whatever variety).

Shore up special teams by making sure we get a rocksolid punter that can flip the field and a kicker that can make those 50+ yard attempts that are so crucial to today’s NFL.

Gesecki's contract length makes sense, he's a stop gap for an early pick.

Tight End is considered one of the stronger positional groups in this Draft and is the best crop to
come along in several years.

As many as 5 could go in the first two rounds and a total of a dozen by the end of the 5th. I expect
one of our relatively high picks to be a TE and that's fine by me because I am really tired of some of
the scrubs that have hung around this roster who can't do anything.

Two-way TEs, real ones, are pretty rare in the NFL, but it shouldn't be all that hard to find a guy that
can either block or catch. We've been treated to some guys in recent years who couldn't do either.

Matt LaCosse, Devin Asiasi, Dalton Keene and Matt Sokol are just a few that come to mind.

My nickname for LaCosse was "DoorMatt". I couldn't fathom how he managed to hang around as long as he did
and Sokol plays just like him. We need to do better.

Not at the price BB paid. 4.5/year could have been 3 years easy. I think the Geseki probably he's looking towards his next contract, knowing that he would come here and pick up twice as many receptions, and at least twice as many yards has he did last year in Miami and then cash in next year.

Last edited:
I think it’s probably a decent set a skill guys, but is it enough to compete in the division? That has really been the issue the last several years IMO. We have good players, but not explosive players that defenses have to really plan for. This is where we get stuck because the defense just can’t slow down those explosive offenses enough and we don’t have enough fire power to stay with them. I would still like to see us get that one guy that defense has to really plan for.

What is the cap hit for rookie class this year? Is that number included already?
3.4 million according to Miguel and the rookie cap hits only occur once they sign. Also according to Miguel the Pats will need 15 to 16 million set assisde to navigate the season, this inclludes the draft, going from 51 to 53, practice squad, and having 5 to 6 million on hand to deal with IR issues and bonuses.

Last edited:
3.4 million according to Miguel and the rookie cap hits only occur once they sign. Also according to Miguel the Pats will need 15 to 16 million set assisde to navigate the season, this inclludes the draft, going from 51 to 53, practice squad, and having 5 to 6 million on hand to deal with IR issues and bonuses.
Very interesting. Thanks for this. I was thinking the Pats had plenty of $$$ for more FA signings, but they are right at the minimum of what they need for the year.

Given that overthecap.com shows 16 teams with less space than the Pats, it begs the question: What are these other teams planning on doing?

Back