Looking at the Patriots 2023

Very interesting. Thanks for this. I was thinking the Pats had plenty of $$$ for more FA signings, but they are right at the minimum of what they need for the year.

Given that overthecap.com shows 16 teams with less space than the Pats, it begs the question: What are these other teams planning on doing?

Cut downs will usually net several million, and then restructures, extensions, trades, and cuts. They don't need the 15 to 16 million on hand and can free up the cap space as it's needed.

A few examples of how yhe Pats can free up space:

Restructure Judon - $5M
Extend Judon - $8M
Extend Henry - $7M
Restructure Godchaux - $2.5M
Restructure Wise - $2M
Cut Bourne $5.4
Cut Parker $6.2

Cut downs will usually net several million, and then restructures, extensions, trades, and cuts. They don't need the 15 to 16 million on hand and can free up the cap space as it's needed.

Restructure Judon - $5M
Extend Judon - $8M
Extend Henry - $7M
Restructure Wise - $2M
Cut Bourne $5.4
Cut Parker $6.2
Most of what you posted I can agree with. However I don't expect Parker and Bourne to be cut.

Who do you think is the Patriots most important off season signing so far? Below is a list of non-Patriot signings.

Mike Gesicki, tight end (one year, up to $ 9 million)
Daniel Ekuale, defensive tackle (one year, money TBD)
James Robinson, running back (two years, $ 8 million)
JuJu Smith-Schuster, wide receiver (three years, $ 33 million)
Riley Reiff, offensive tackle (one year, $ 5 million)
Calvin Anderson, offensive tackle (two years, money TBD)
Chris Board, linebacker/special teamer (two years, up to $ 6.7 million)

My choice is Bill O'Brien.

Last edited:
Who do you think is the Patriots most important off season signing so far? Below is a list of non-Patriot signings.

BO'B is a good choice, but I think Klemm is in the running. As for players If he can keep his aggressiveness on the right side of the yellow flag it is Juju.

Most of what you posted I can agree with. However I don't expect Parker and Bourne to be cut.
I was just listing a few possibilities, but I agree that as the roster is currently constructed that they both should stay. If the Pats somehow land a true number one I would be ok moving on from one of them to help offset the related cap hit.

Last edited:

Restructure Judon - $5M
Extend Judon - $8M
Extend Henry - $7M
Restructure Wise - $2M
Cut Bourne $5.4
Cut Parker $6.2

What if we traded or released Bourne and replaced him with an upgrade. I'd do that. In an instant
OBJ may still be a possibility and cut downs are coming which could bring 1 or 2 upgrades.
You may be ok with them for now but our pro player personnel dept. has to earn their pay.
Someone will become available and neither player is safe imo.

What if we traded or released Bourne and replaced him with an upgrade. I'd do that. In an instant
OBJ may still be a possibility and cut downs are coming which could bring 1 or 2 upgrades.
You may be ok with them for now but our pro player personnel dept. has to earn their pay.
I'm all for trading Parker, or even cutting him in camp. If his targets go to Gesicki, JuJu, Hunter, Bourne, and maybe Thornton, this is a better team. I like Parker more than most on the board, but I don't think he brings much to this offense, and he's probably taking away from Tyquan's development.

Put another way, if you're a defensive coordinator, what combination of 4 skill players the Patriots put on the field is harder to defend by Parker being the 5th instead of Thornton? The only situation I can see is a big crowd of short DBs and/or pure low red zone. And red zone might flip as well once Thornton develops his drags and crosses and develops chemistry with Mac.

I'm all for trading Parker, or even cutting him in camp. If his targets go to Gesicki, JuJu, Hunter, Bourne, and maybe Thornton, this is a better team. I like Parker more than most on the board, but I don't think he brings much to this offense, and he's probably taking away from Tyquan's development.

Put another way, if you're a defensive coordinator, what combination of 4 skill players the Patriots put on the field is harder to defend by Parker being the 5th instead of Thornton? The only situation I can see is a big crowd of short DBs and/or pure low red zone. And red zone might flip as well once Thornton develops his drags and crosses and develops chemistry with Mac.

I agree with you but I still would love upgrades to both Parker and Bourne.

I actually think Bourne is an upgrade to Bourne, if you take my meaning...

I do. He could be if he comes out motivated this year.

Compromise.

He gets a short leash and any sign of poor motivation, I'm replacing him.

I'm not a guy that blames players for getting injured, but one thing that I've noticed about Parker is that he seems to get banged up on
every other hit. Like he doesn't really want to get up. He's not soft but it looks as if his body might be breaking down and I don't think he's worth
keeping on the roster based on the scarce production when he is available to play. He did make some great catches last season, but we wouldn't
miss him much because he didn't do all that much.

I'd take my chances with a young, fast draft pick with upside to replace him.

WR 1 is a need, but it doesn’t look like theres gonna be one worth taking in the first round of this draft especially given the need at tackle. Do we really want Odell? He’s old, coming off an acl, was already on the decline, and frankly I don’t want to cheer for him. plus he’s a bad value. Let him be a cowboy. Hell let him be a Jet. I hope he’s a Jet.
We dont need a WR in the second round or later of this draft. The depth in this group is already there.
It sucks, but it’s best if the number one WR role is addressed next offseason. The value just is not there this year, and the Pats have needs as important on the Oline.
I’m very happy with the Mike G signing.

I do. He could be if he comes out motivated this year.

Compromise.

He gets a short leash and any sign of poor motivation, I'm replacing him.

We now have reason to believe that the Offense was poorly coached, Patricia's system didn't work and the
players were definitely frustrated.

Bourne is going to tell you what's on his mind, but I don't think he's got bad intent. He was just pissed as
were all of them, but his next "no comment" will be his first. He's an emotional player and got caught up in
the negativity.

My hope is that the players feel comfortable with the new system/O staff and it all starts to click early and often.

I think we may see a quote or two coming out around OTAs indicating that things are being run professionally (again) and
the players are buying in with enthusiasm. Bourne will be a happy guy again and we'll forget all of it.

I'm not a guy that blames players for getting injured, but one thing that I've noticed about Parker is that he seems to get banged up on
every other hit. Like he doesn't really want to get up. He's not soft but it looks as if his body might be breaking down and I don't think he's worth
keeping on the roster based on the scarce production when he is available to play. He did make some great catches last season, but we wouldn't
miss him much because he didn't do all that much.

I'd take my chances with a young, fast draft pick with upside to replace him.

There's no point dumping on Parker and letting Bourne off the hook.
I'm not one to allow my hope that Bourne improves dramatically to influence what I know from the cold, hard football facts last year.
In the Parker vs Bourne competition, Parker was far and away the high producer and he did it in 3 fewer games (which speaks to Hawg's point).

Just to be clear, for me, Parker was the better player in '22 despite his misuse early in the season on those poorly conceived GO routes.

Statistics Parker​

SEASONTEAMGAGPGSSNAPSSNAPS%TGTRECREC YDSYDS/RECYDS/GMREC TDFUMDROPSPROD PTS
2022NE13131048949.7473153917.441.4630071.9

Statistics Bourne​

SEASONTEAMGAGPGSSNAPSSNAPS%TGTRECREC YDSYDS/RECYDS/GMREC TDFUMDROPSPROD PTS
2022NE1616240541.2483543412.427.1312353.3

I need to see both of these WRs perform better or I'm looking for replacements, first for Bourne then for Parker.

Drafting at least 1 WR is a given.

I don't feel we have had the chance to see what Bourne can really do. Last season Patricia so screwed up the offence that it put everyone in a bad spot.

If the Broncos trade demand for Jerry Jeudy continue to go down, the Pats may get interested at some point. I still prefer OBJ who is a FA.
DHop seems like a pipe dream.

Belichick’s former assistant, Michael Lombardi, said on his "GM Shuffle" podcast that he believes Hopkins’ market is “really soft” because teams are reluctant to trade for him and “re-do his contract.” The financial expectation with Beckham, who is coming off a torn ACL, reportedly is similar.

That suggests nothing is imminent with those players, at least from a Patriots standpoint.

Last edited:
3.4 million according to Miguel and the rookie cap hits only occur once they sign. Also according to Miguel the Pats will need 15 to 16 million set assisde to navigate the season, this inclludes the draft, going from 51 to 53, practice squad, and having 5 to 6 million on hand to deal with IR issues and bonuses.

Makes sense, which is why that top5 cap space figure talking point was never a real thing. JuJu and Gesicki were the major splurges. I wonder if this puts the Pats as the lowest overall spenders in total cash spend again

I agree with you. O'Brien by far.

As far as players I think if Gesicki pans out he could be the best signing just going by potential.

In a perfect world he can be Mac's Kelce -- a piece BOB can move around and create mismatches all over the field. Which to me it's why the Juju signing makes even more sense.

Henry then can play his two way TE role, which he does well enough.

If Bourne or Thornton step up this offense can look dangerous.

I can't help but think Parker will become a cap casualty. Well, him or Bourne, but seeing how good Bourne was two years ago I hope it's the former if that were to be the case.

Back