Looking at the Patriots 2023

Zappe would be the emergency QB, not Malik.

1. Cunningham activated from PS

2. Zappe named emergency QB.

3. During the game Jones and Cunningham play QB, going in and out at Patriots' discretion.

4 If both Jones and Cunningham get hurt and cannot play, then Zappe finishes the game
Right. And if Mac goes down for a longer span, it would be Zappe as QB1, Cunningham as QB2, and Mac (if he's close) or someone else (who would have been activated from the PS) as the QB3, who is inactive except for an emergency.

This scenario would have worked out to almost a free spot on the active roster (the 47/48 for game day, not the 53) when Jules was here.

Also 1st in Defensive EPA/play, lowest missed tackle rate, 2nd in # of plays against, and top 5 in opposing offensive efficiency rate, total yards against, and yards per play against.

This defense was much better than was generally perceived, and if you look at just the later season and metrics that are weighted for strength of opposition, it's more stark.

The areas they weren't elite were big play % allowed and % of negative plays. Those are often experience-driven metrics.

Thought this was a fun article and worth a read.

Kayshon Boutte was once thought to be a potential Top 10 pick.

When the wide receiver from LSU was finally taken by the Patriots in the sixth round of last month’s NFL Draft, Ryan Antoine’s reaction was simple.
“He’s the steal of the draft,” the Westgate High School football coach said. “He can just go play football and be in an organization of true structure and great stability. I think that will be amazing for him. He couldn’t ask for a better place to go to. Now he just has to show everybody what everybody around here already knows.”

Antoine has been watching Boutte score touchdowns since peewee ball in in New Iberia, Louisiana. When it came time to decide on a high school, Antoine convinced him to attend Westgate, and Boutte grew into a highly-touted recruit under his watch. As a freshman, Antoine tried to ease him in, but a month into the season had Boutte already forced his way into the varsity lineup.
“The biggest thing was just his competitiveness,” Antoine said. Boutte played everywhere at Westgate — wildcat quarterback, running back, inside receiver, outside receiver, kick returner etc. — and Antoine found creative ways to motivate him. One, in particular, came against Captain Shreve during his sophomore year.

“I took his phone from him,” Antoine recalled. “I said, ‘Hey you’re not getting your phone unless you have a breakout game.’”

Boutte lifted Westgate to a 27-22 win with three second-half touchdowns, including a 97-yard reception, and the game-winner with 2:02 remaining in the fourth quarter.

Kayshon ended the night with over 300 yards receiving,” Antoine said. “He just started making plays all over the place. I’m like OK, now he’s arrived. He’s definitely one of the top players in the state just as a 15, 16-year-old... Now you can have your phone back.”

Another time, Boutte showed up on game day in compression tights. Antoine wasn’t a fan.

“I didn’t want guys wearing tights,” Antoine said. “‘In order to keep these tights on, you’d better have a hell of a night or I’ll take you out of the game.’ Two plays later, I think he had two touchdowns back-to-back... ‘You all can put tights on now. If that’s how you’re going to play, we’re all going to wear tights.’”

Though an undoubted star in high school, things were more turbulent for Boutte at the college level. After excelling under Ed Orgeron as a freshman at LSU — one afternoon he torched Ole Miss for an SEC record 308 receiving yards — Boutte broke his ankle and ended his sophomore year prematurely.

Then when Brian Kelly took over for his junior season, there was friction and a different offense (and a different coaching staff) to learn. Off the field, Boutte’s girlfriend gave birth to a son last September, so there were plenty of changes across the board.

Though Boutte wasn’t able to match his stellar first season at LSU, Antoine believes Foxborough is the perfect place for him to hit his ceiling.

“To be honest with you, Kayshon still hasn’t scratched the surface of his potential,” Antoine said. “I think going to an organization like the Patriots with Coach (Bill) Belichick, I think you’re going to see monumental leaps. The biggest thing with Kayshon is just keep it competitive, keep it structured, and always have him working to always get better. When the chips are on the table, I know he’s always ready to perform."

“Get ready. Get y’all’s popcorn. Y’all going to see the show.”

:popcorn:

Thought this was a fun article and worth a read.

Kayshon Boutte was once thought to be a potential Top 10 pick.

When the wide receiver from LSU was finally taken by the Patriots in the sixth round of last month’s NFL Draft, Ryan Antoine’s reaction was simple.
“He’s the steal of the draft,” the Westgate High School football coach said. “He can just go play football and be in an organization of true structure and great stability. I think that will be amazing for him. He couldn’t ask for a better place to go to. Now he just has to show everybody what everybody around here already knows.”

Antoine has been watching Boutte score touchdowns since peewee ball in in New Iberia, Louisiana. When it came time to decide on a high school, Antoine convinced him to attend Westgate, and Boutte grew into a highly-touted recruit under his watch. As a freshman, Antoine tried to ease him in, but a month into the season had Boutte already forced his way into the varsity lineup.
“The biggest thing was just his competitiveness,” Antoine said. Boutte played everywhere at Westgate — wildcat quarterback, running back, inside receiver, outside receiver, kick returner etc. — and Antoine found creative ways to motivate him. One, in particular, came against Captain Shreve during his sophomore year.

“I took his phone from him,” Antoine recalled. “I said, ‘Hey you’re not getting your phone unless you have a breakout game.’”

Boutte lifted Westgate to a 27-22 win with three second-half touchdowns, including a 97-yard reception, and the game-winner with 2:02 remaining in the fourth quarter.

Kayshon ended the night with over 300 yards receiving,” Antoine said. “He just started making plays all over the place. I’m like OK, now he’s arrived. He’s definitely one of the top players in the state just as a 15, 16-year-old... Now you can have your phone back.”

Another time, Boutte showed up on game day in compression tights. Antoine wasn’t a fan.

“I didn’t want guys wearing tights,” Antoine said. “‘In order to keep these tights on, you’d better have a hell of a night or I’ll take you out of the game.’ Two plays later, I think he had two touchdowns back-to-back... ‘You all can put tights on now. If that’s how you’re going to play, we’re all going to wear tights.’”

Though an undoubted star in high school, things were more turbulent for Boutte at the college level. After excelling under Ed Orgeron as a freshman at LSU — one afternoon he torched Ole Miss for an SEC record 308 receiving yards — Boutte broke his ankle and ended his sophomore year prematurely.

Then when Brian Kelly took over for his junior season, there was friction and a different offense (and a different coaching staff) to learn. Off the field, Boutte’s girlfriend gave birth to a son last September, so there were plenty of changes across the board.

Though Boutte wasn’t able to match his stellar first season at LSU, Antoine believes Foxborough is the perfect place for him to hit his ceiling.

“To be honest with you, Kayshon still hasn’t scratched the surface of his potential,” Antoine said. “I think going to an organization like the Patriots with Coach (Bill) Belichick, I think you’re going to see monumental leaps. The biggest thing with Kayshon is just keep it competitive, keep it structured, and always have him working to always get better. When the chips are on the table, I know he’s always ready to perform."

“Get ready. Get y’all’s popcorn. Y’all going to see the show.”

:popcorn:

I'd rather he be self motivated and self-disciplined, but if he needs structure then the Patriots are the place to be for him to excel.

Last edited:
I'd rather he be self motivated in self-discipline, but if he needs structure then the patriots are the place to be for him to excel.
i hear you but...i am not very self-motivated when it comes to working out. during covid,i did do a work out video or something daily, but i didn't have the same committment so i put on weight. that's why i sign up for classes and go to a studio. having classes scheduled and getting my butt kicked by an instructor is how i get better. i work out about 14 hours/week.

i hear you but...i am not very self-motivated when it comes to working out. during covid,i did do a work out video or something daily, but i didn't have the same committment so i put on weight. that's why i sign up for classes and go to a studio. having classes scheduled and getting my butt kicked by an instructor is how i get better. i work out about 14 hours/week.
That sounds pretty self-motivated to me. Enough to know yourself.

You ARE self motivated. You are doing what is in your own best interest on you own. Nobody has to tell you. It doesn't impact your career.

So, it seems that the Thursday OTA session was cancelled and the reason is that the Pats violated an unspecified rule pertaining to the offseason which
will cost us another day of OTAs.

So, the question is -- what did we do?

I'm going with one of three:

1. Bill used his unofficial massive network of College personnel to perform defacto extra interviews with draft prospects.

2. The Patriots were caught putting in a CIA-level surveillance suite in the new Gillette lighthouse capable of improved signal jamming, AI lip-reading and
directed sideline beams using infrasound that can cause opponents to feel lethargic and confused.

3. Mac Jones was ordered to study his playbook in between songs while sitting the front row of last Friday's Taylor Swift concert and a clip of that was posted to
a 14 year-old girl from Medford's Tik-tok.

It’s being talked about in random football news, but I sure hope Hopkins is a Patriot on a reasonable contract for the next 2 years.
He seems ready to buy in, and that will give the team time to draft and develop a number one stud for the long term next year.

Just to keep it real, that picture has been around for a while and was also trotted out during the first days of FA. I say
that because I got fooled. Sorry, but It's bogus.

I believe we would be a better O with him in Foxboro, but I think we'll be fine when he signs with KC, which I'd
describe as a no-brainer if he wants a shot at a ring and not just the biggest possible payday.

They are very solid on the OL and have the best QB in the business. The combination of Mahomes' smarts/accuracy and
DHops hands and ability to screen defenders never mind the time the two will enjoy to work things open spells trouble for
anybody trying to stop them. The Chiefs don't make a lot of personnel mistakes, unfortunately, and they'll make him an
offer he can't refuse.

Just to keep it real, that picture has been around for a while and was also trotted out during the first days of FA. I say
that because I got fooled. Sorry, but It's bogus.

I believe we would be a better O with him in Foxboro, but I think we'll be fine when he signs with KC, which I'd
describe as a no-brainer if he wants a shot at a ring and not just the biggest possible payday.

They are very solid on the OL and have the best QB in the business. The combination of Mahomes' smarts/accuracy and
DHops hands and ability to screen defenders never mind the time the two will enjoy to work things open spells trouble for
anybody trying to stop them. The Chiefs don't make a lot of personnel mistakes, unfortunately, and they'll make him an
offer he can't refuse.
That picture gets posted here any time a FA is associated with the Pats.

From PFF - Ranking the rosters

18. New England Patriots

Biggest strength in 2023: Defense

With the exception of recently retired Devin McCourty, the Patriots return everybody from a 2022 defense that scored seven touchdowns, intercepted 19 passes and registered 41 sacks. Not only that, but each of New England’s top three draft picks targeted defensive positions.

Biggest weakness in 2023: Wide Receiver

The Patriots lack a receiving threat that keeps defensive coordinators up at night. They replaced Jakobi Meyers with JuJu Smith-Schuster in the offseason, but aside from some late-round fliers in the draft, they didn’t do much to improve an underwhelming group this offseason.

X-Factor for 2023: QB Mac Jones

Mac Jones struggled in 2022 to the point where some fans were clamoring for rookie fourth-rounder Bailey Zappe to fully take over. Jones will be learning his third offense in three years, so it’s unclear which version of the former Heisman runner-up we’re going to see.

Rookie to watch: WR Kayshon Boutte

Before the season, Kayshon Boutte was considered the top receiving prospect in the 2023 NFL Draft. However, an ankle injury and an inability to gell into new head coach Brian Kelly’s system led to the LSU product falling to the sixth round. Playing in as thin a receiving room as New England’s, Boutte may have an opportunity to see the field sooner rather than later.

Over/Under 7.5 win total: Over

The Patriots won eight games in 2022 despite an offensive system that was openly mocked by an opposing defensive coordinator. With Bill O’Brien at the helm, expect a much more efficient product in what is expected to be a very competitive AFC East.

From PFF - Ranking the rosters

18. New England Patriots

Biggest strength in 2023: Defense

With the exception of recently retired Devin McCourty, the Patriots return everybody from a 2022 defense that scored seven touchdowns, intercepted 19 passes and registered 41 sacks. Not only that, but each of New England’s top three draft picks targeted defensive positions.

Biggest weakness in 2023: Wide Receiver

The Patriots lack a receiving threat that keeps defensive coordinators up at night. They replaced Jakobi Meyers with JuJu Smith-Schuster in the offseason, but aside from some late-round fliers in the draft, they didn’t do much to improve an underwhelming group this offseason.

Mac Jones struggled in 2022 to the point where some fans were clamoring for rookie fourth-rounder Bailey Zappe to fully take over. Jones will be learning his third offense in three years, so it’s unclear which version of the former Heisman runner-up we’re going to see.

Before the season, Kayshon Boutte was considered the top receiving prospect in the 2023 NFL Draft. However, an ankle injury and an inability to gell into new head coach Brian Kelly’s system led to the LSU product falling to the sixth round. Playing in as thin a receiving room as New England’s, Boutte may have an opportunity to see the field sooner rather than later.

Over/Under 7.5 win total: Over

The Patriots won eight games in 2022 despite an offensive system that was openly mocked by an opposing defensive coordinator. With Bill O’Brien at the helm, expect a much more efficient product in what is expected to be a very competitive AFC East.
From PFF - Ranking the rosters This will be my reply to each of these things.

18. New England Patriots

Biggest strength in 2023: Defense This I agree with as I believe The D got stronger this off season.

Biggest weakness in 2023: Wide Receiver This I disagree with as it seems they fail to see the the quality of the WR who had to work within the Bull Shit program of Matt Patricia Thornton was put behind because of his collarbone injury He was thrown into a meatgrinder when he returned. Bourne was put into Patricia's dog house for no reason other than Matt's pride. We know nothing of Tre Nixon yet. JuJu Smith is a quality receiver who will add a lot. Gesicki is a solid receiving TE who gives Mac another good red zone target. This group is being seriously underestimated.

The Patriots lack a receiving threat that keeps defensive coordinators up at night. They replaced Jakobi Meyers with JuJu Smith-Schuster in the offseason, but aside from some late-round fliers in the draft, they didn’t do much to improve an underwhelming group this offseason. Again commenting on subjects that are yet unknown.

Mac Jones struggled in 2022 to the point where some fans were clamoring for rookie fourth-rounder Bailey Zappe to fully take over. Jones will be learning his third offense in three years, so it’s unclear which version of the former Heisman runner-up we’re going to see. Any 2nd year QB would have struggled in the disaster that Jones had to work with last season

Before the season, Kayshon Boutte was considered the top receiving prospect in the 2023 NFL Draft. However, an ankle injury and an inability to gell into new head coach Brian Kelly’s system led to the LSU product falling to the sixth round. Playing in as thin a receiving room as New England’s, Boutte may have an opportunity to see the field sooner rather than later. This Kid is by far better than his last season at LSU. Coach Kelly didn't like him and it showed.

Over/Under 7.5 win total: Over I think more like a 10-12 win season

The Patriots won eight games in 2022 despite an offensive system that was openly mocked by an opposing defensive coordinator. With Bill O’Brien at the helm, expect a much more efficient product in what is expected to be a very competitive AFC East. I agree.

Back