Mac Jones Injury Watch - Update 30 Sept - Mac is out v Packers

Roberto71

Reaction score
That left ankle. That huge defender basically is on top of him after the pass and falls on his left ankle and it twists badly.

C82BBD79-714C-4BD2-AAFA-6904824F1CAA.jpeg

57DD9E1A-4DBA-45BD-A1EC-C21F45720CC5.jpeg

Attachments

• 6BA33155-C5F4-46F1-B679-9F39A7292613.jpeg
    6BA33155-C5F4-46F1-B679-9F39A7292613.jpeg
    505.4 KB · Views: 2
i thought i saw his left leg bend too far left under there, at the knee. not sure what that may mean.

If you watch it again you see the ankle ends up basically perpendicular to his leg at the most severe point of the flex.

it’s possible it could be a huge rupture of the ankle ligaments.

If he is done then i hope we lose every damn game. Im sick of picking 15th or lower in the draft. Get a high pick for once. This really sucks i was just hoping Mac could use this year to grow reguardleas off the record

Almost certainly a high ankle sprain. Average return time is 2-4 weeks ... 4-6 for the more severe ones. A QB with high pain tolerance could potentially return in 1-2 weeks.

If memory serves, it's the same injury Brady suffered against Pittsburgh in the 2001/02 AFFCG, in which Bledsoe had to replace him. Brady was back two weeks later for the Super Bowl against the Rams.

This is Brady's injury. Almost looks identical, even down to him grabbing the ankle and trying to hop it off, and the way it twists underneath the defender. Same leg, too, his left one. Brady is a tough dude and you could tell he was in a lot of pain after that injury.

Go to 5:50 in the link below (the URL is timestamped, so if you click that it should automatically bring you to that point in the video):

View: https://youtu.be/De8gmp-pFT0?t=349

Last edited:
The only thing I'd say about high ankle sprains, and I'm not doctor and have never experienced one, but my sense from researching them and observing players who've experienced them, is that they can linger. For a QB who doesn't do a ton of running, that could likely be managed over the course of a season, but it might be smarter to err on the side of 3-4 weeks instead of pushing him back in after 1-2 weeks, if it means that injury could linger for the rest of the year. That might hinge, to a certain extent, on how well Hoyer is performing.

Seeing the still photo of Mac being carried into the locker room, it doesn't look good if indeed it's an ankle sprain.

Last edited:
I wouldn't celebrate yet. If it's ankle ligaments, they can be slow to heal. Let's wait and see. No break is good, and thankfully not his knee.

Back