Mac Jones Injury Watch - Update 30 Sept - Mac is out v Packers

This will get really interesting when Zappe goes up against the dregs of the NFL over the next 8 weeks and runs a streamlined offense efficiently, looking sharp while the D and running game lead the way to a 5-2 stretch that leaves us at 6-4 after Jets 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Holy shit can you imagine? This will be good for my training because I always run a little faster when I'm pissed off listening to the idiots on Boston radio.

What a disaster. At this point play Zappe see what you got I guess and then hope to get a top 5 pick.

One has to start somewhere. No sense in drafting him if you are not going to use him IMHO considering the recent events. I doubt though he is next man up.

A high ankle sprain is a separation of the ligamentous attachment between the tibia and fibula just above the ankle.

Here's a diagram to help you understand.
syndesmosis-3.jpg

This makes the entire ankle unstable and causes great pain until it is surgically fixated.
Screws can be used but the tightrope procedure is far superior for athletes who need to get back to work quickly.

Last edited:

I was curious about the tightrope method and came across this article. Worth the read.

It was a very questionable hit from Campbell. Contact was initiated after the ball was gone, and he then left his feet to generate the torque to rip Jones to the ground. Not cool, especially at that point in the game.

No silver linings here. This was a pivotal year in building the team on their long-term planning, with Mac getting a second, critical developmental season before they truly competed next season. Instead that’s likely lost.

I truly think this team will be competing for championships in 1-3 seasons if they have championship QB level play. This season was a big step in finding that out … now likely lost.

All-in on Zappe for the remainder of this season, and if he flops bring in another prospect this off-season, because the “find us a QB” thing just got really mucked up and Jones lost a critical period of developmental time.

I was curious about the tightrope method and came across this article. Worth the read.

Excellent article. Thank you for posting. I wonder if the Patriots are among the NFL teams that will use this procedure?

It was a very questionable hit from Campbell. Contact was initiated after the ball was gone, and he then left his feet to generate the torque to rip Jones to the ground. Not cool, especially at that point in the game.

No silver linings here. This was a pivotal year in building the team on their long-term planning, with Mac getting a second, critical developmental season before they truly competed next season. Instead that’s likely lost.

I truly think this team will be competing for championships in 1-3 seasons if they have championship QB level play. This season was a big step in finding that out … now likely lost.

All-in on Zappe for the remainder of this season, and if he flops bring in another prospect this off-season, because the “find us a QB” thing just got really mucked up and Jones lost a critical period of developmental time.
He's usually a classy guy...maybe the Raven's aura rubbed off on him.

I was going to bring that up but decided not to as I didn't see it mentioned anywhere by MIke Reiss, the other media guys etc. I thought it was a dodgy move by Campbell. The ball was gone and he jumps literally on Mac to bring him to the ground.

I dunno about that, it looked pretty clean to me.

"second opinion" carries it's own "uh-oh" with it

Yeah, my thought as well.

Likely scenario (based on my guess, which isn't worth much) is the team doctors saw MRI, believe it's grade-3 and recommend surgery with an associated 8-12 week recovery. Mac wants to see if he can avoid surgery, rest for 2-6 weeks, get back out there ASAP, and then deal with surgery (if necessary) after the season concludes.

Tough decision. If it's borderline, I might lean towards surgery just to ensure all is well long-term. There are still 15 weeks / 14 games remaining in the regular season. If Mac got surgery tomorrow, worked his ass off, and got back on the field in 8 weeks, he would miss 7 games, get an 8th week off via the bye, and return to play in 7 games to close the season. If the team managed to go 3-4, or 4-3 during his absence, they'd be 4-6 or 5-5, which would give Mac the opportunity to return with something meaningful to play for (a postseason push).

I don't think this team has Super Bowl aspirations. If they got hot late and things clicked, yeah, potentially, but they won't be a week-to-week heavyweight until 2023 or 2024. In that sense, losing Mac for a stretch of this season isn't a huge deal from a 'contending right now pov'. On the other hand, this longer-term plan is heavily contingent on Mac's development, so any missed time during this crucial developmental window is pretty disappointing.

Yeah, my thought as well.

Likely scenario (based on my guess, which isn't worth much) is the team doctors saw MRI, believe it's grade-3 and recommend surgery with an associated 8-12 week recovery. Mac wants to see if he can avoid surgery, rest for 2-6 weeks, get back out there ASAP, and then deal with surgery (if necessary) after the season concludes.

Tough decision. If it's borderline, I might lean towards surgery just to ensure all is well long-term. There are still 15 weeks / 14 games remaining in the regular season. If Mac got surgery tomorrow, worked his ass off, and got back on the field in 8 weeks, he would miss 7 games, get an 8th week off via the bye, and return to play in 7 games to close the season. If the team managed to go 3-4, or 4-3 during his absence, they'd be 4-6 or 5-5, which would give Mac the opportunity to return with something meaningful to play for (a postseason push).

I don't think this team has Super Bowl aspirations. If they got hot late and things clicked, yeah, potentially, but they won't be a week-to-week heavyweight until 2023 or 2024. In that sense, losing Mac for a stretch of this season isn't a huge deal from a 'contending right now pov'. On the other hand, this longer-term plan is heavily contingent on Mac's development, so any missed time during this crucial developmental window is pretty disappointing.
If he chooses the rest approach there's also a higher risk of reinjury..

You have talked me into surgery for Mac. I will let him know.

Mac should get surgery and come back 100%. Don’t risk making it worse with an OLine that got him hurt 2 weeks in a row.

Back