Mac Jones Is Our QB1

To beat man you need some separation on average. Separation has been an issue for the Patriots the last couple of years. That may be on the way to getting better as even one better WR will shift the coverage capability "down" at each WR position giving the WR a better chance at separation. Separation = better man %.

I am 100% positive somebody else can write that better than me...
The new system that is being implemented is predicated on receiver separation.

The new system that is being implemented is predicated on receiver separation.

IKR? I have 18 minutes before my next call so let me give this one a shot.

According to the resident hater:

1. New offensive system predicated on receiver separation.
2. Patriots lack WR's that can get separation.
so....
3. New system decision is dumb (Belichick).
4. Mac is doomed to fail and was a terrible choice ( Belichick).
5. The Bills are the best team in the world and have the best roster because, Belichick.

What I miss?

IKR? I have 18 minutes before my next call so let me give this one a shot.

According to the resident hater:

1. New offensive system predicated on receiver separation.
2. Patriots lack WR's that can get separation.
so....
3. New system decision is dumb (Belichick).
4. Mac is doomed to fail and was a terrible choice ( Belichick).
5. The Bills are the best team in the world and have the best roster because, Belichick.

What I miss?
I'm just wondering why no one has thought to implement the genius offensive system where it doesn't matter whether your WRs can get separation. You'd think that would be way more popular, you know?

I'm just wondering why no one has thought to implement the genius offensive system where it doesn't matter whether your WRs can get separation. You'd think that would be way more popular, you know?

They did. Eli won 2 and Flacco another.

It's called the fling it and hope for a flag 50/50 passing attack.

Surely you know that the previous system was based on sight adjustments by the Qb and receivers based on the defense and required the Qb to fit the ball into tight windows frequently.

Surely you know that the previous system was based on sight adjustments by the Qb and receivers based on the defense and required the Qb to fit the ball into tight windows frequently.
I do indeed. And the purpose of those slight adjustments (and entire read-routes) was to manufacture separation. Because it is required for the offense to function.

I do indeed. And the purpose of those slight adjustments (and entire read-routes) was to manufacture separation. Because it is required for the offense to function.
I think her separation is sposed to be just quickness off the fine and speed to run away from the bad guy. That way they can be stoopid and not have to execute those tricky adjustments. Which makes sense since BB's staff isn't up to that kind of intellectual endeavor. You might think we've always done that, but TFB is why, and he is not here anymore.

Of course. But the Shanny offense is not predicated on sight adjustments. The receivers are going to have to beat their man. If you look at the offenses around the league that run it, almost all of them have one or more explosive receivers.

Has anyone seen anything about the passing attack shifting to the WCO base like Shanahan/McVeigh? Apart from adding the bootlegs/rollouts that Brady wasn't equipped to pull off, and having those look like the wide zone runs? Even the inside runs - are those shifting from gap to inside zone?

Of course. But the Shanny offense is not predicated on sight adjustments. The receivers are going to have to beat their man. If you look at the offenses around the league that run it, almost all of them have one or more explosive receivers.
The receivers have to beat their man in either case. The scheme is (part of) the how, not the if.

The receivers have to beat their man in either case. The scheme is (part of) the how, not the if.
The scheme can help get separation. But in the end the receivers have to be good enough.

Has anyone seen anything about the passing attack shifting to the WCO base like Shanahan/McVeigh? Apart from adding the bootlegs/rollouts that Brady wasn't equipped to pull off, and having those look like the wide zone runs? Even the inside runs - are those shifting from gap to inside zone?
I haven't and I would be shocked if they did.

My guess would still be Erhardt/Perkins terminology, but reducing the load on the wide receivers in how they are expected to read and adjust their routes, hence the 'simplification' that's been mentioned over the summer.

But some people see zone blocking on runs and now think it's an entirely new system.

I've seen it mentioned that they're running more bunched receiver groupings during TC than they have in the past.

All I have heard are raves about Tua in camp so far. Let’s see what happens when the games get real

Back