Mac Jones Is Our QB1

So during the media portion of practice today, Zappe was QB1, Cunningham was QB2 and Mac was QB3.

Now do we edit the thread title to Mac Jones is our QB3?

Message sent.

They are equal when handing the ball off so I don't see what difference it makes. Play em all and settle this thing.

Message sent.

They are equal when handing the ball off so I don't see what difference it makes. Play em all and settle this thing.

Yeah good point. I am semi joking about changing the thread title because it was true when started.

Lazar went on a bit of a rant on the Patriots Unfiltered podcast yesterday.
He was describing how much easier the Shanahan system is for QBs. " Brock Purdy walks up to the LOS and hikes the ball. Mac has to a bunch of manipulations before the snap and can run out of time. Brady can handle it but name another QB for the Pats or anywhere Josh went to, Denver, St Louis, Oakland, that could do the same. The offensive game plan is a hindrance."
I believe a variation of the Shanahan system was the offense that Patricia used last season.

So.......Josh Allen.

I realize it's ludicrous, but knowing a little about the mood surrounding the Bills and their concern that their franchise QB
might really be too erratic to win with I started wondering.

What if we ended up with, say, the 3rd pick in the draft and Buffalo came knocking and offered him as an even swap?

Bear in mind that just a short time ago the narrative around him was completely different. He's still young, doesn't seem
to be damaged goods and has performed, at times, spectacularly. The turnovers are, of course, a major concern but his
talent level, leadership and character should be unquestioned. He'll turn 28 next May and should be nearing his physical prime.

Would you pull the trigger on that deal?

Last edited:
So.......Josh Allen.

I realize it's ludicrous, but knowing a little about the mood surrounding the Bills and their concern that their franchise QB

What if we ended up with, say, the 3rd pick in the draft and Buffalo came knocking and offered him as an even swap?

Bear in mind that just a short time ago the narrative around him was completely different. He's still young, doesn't seem
to be damaged goods and has performed, at times, spectacularly. The turnovers are, of course, a major concern but his
talented level, leadership and character should be unquestioned. He'll turn 28 next May and should be nearing his physical prime.

I'd give them even more than that for Allen. Unfortunately, not a chance Buffalo would do it.

So.......Josh Allen.

talented level, leadership and character should be unquestioned. He'll turn 28 next May and should be nearing his physical prime.

In a heartbeat

So.......Josh Allen.

Buffalo is in the process of building a new stadium. Allen is the face of the franchise.
I know a couple of long time Bills fans. They when they lose, they blame coaches, other players, the refs always, but never Allen. Small sample size but I think it represents the overwhelming number of Bills fans.
I would say that the chances of their trading Allen, to any team but a team in the division would be 1 in 1,000,000,000,000.
So, I am saying,yes, there's a chance.

So.......Josh Allen.

talent level, leadership and character should be unquestioned. He'll turn 28 next May and should be nearing his physical prime.

A thousand times yes.

So.......Josh Allen.

You'd have to consider it, but he's such a rocks-for-brains, and he's making a ton of money. And is Harrison still on the board at 3?

I'm really surprised that people are so up for it.

I suppose the "right now" always seems more important than what happens down the road, say, with a really
young QB that might work out great. That is the golden fleece in this league, for sure. Getting a guy
that can really play early in his career for cheap. That's why teams spend huge resources to move
up to get one who is nothing more than a projection. (see Wilson, Zach) You can never be sure and
the devil you know seems safer, at least, than the one you don't. High-stakes drafting is a risky proposition.

Of course, having a rookie contract at that position for 5 years is a major value point considering
the astronomical cost of deciding to keep a good, young QB for a 2nd contract. The new economics
likely means that teams are thinking long and hard about whether it might be better to roll the dice on
a kid and be able to afford a better supporting roster. Sort of rethinking the whole "franchise QB" thing.

I'm hearing rumblings that there could be some surprises along those lines and the Bills will have to at least mull it over
in private. Their entire staff is now feeling the heat of wondering whether their window is closing and it
might not be as crazy as it seems on the surface. Extremely unlikely, sure, but not totally implausible.

Believe it or not, a LOT of people in Buffalo are really tired of Allen turning the ball over so consistently and
are asking some hard questions about him. The loss to the Pats unhinged a lot of them. There is a sense of real
desperation, no matter how iconic he might seem for that franchise and desperate people are unpredictable.

I personally would say a qualified no to Allen, but thought there was some food for thought in both directions.

I'm really surprised that people are so up for it.

I suppose the "right now" always seems more important than what happens down the road, say, with a really
young QB that might work out great. That is the golden fleece in this league, for sure. Getting a guy
that can really play early in his career for cheap. That's why teams spend huge resources to move
up to get one who is nothing more than a projection. (see Wilson, Zach) You can never be sure and
the devil you know seems safer, at least, than the one you don't. High-stakes drafting is a risky proposition.

Of course, having a rookie contract at that position for 5 years is a major value point considering
the astronomical cost of deciding to keep a good, young QB for a 2nd contract. The new economics
likely means that teams are thinking long and hard about whether it might be better to roll the dice on
a kid and be able to afford a better supporting roster. Sort of rethinking the whole "franchise QB" thing.

I'm hearing rumblings that there could be some surprises along those lines and the Bills will have to at least mull it over
in private. Their entire staff is now feeling the heat of wondering whether their window is closing and it
might not be as crazy as it seems on the surface. Extremely unlikely, sure, but not totally implausible.

Believe it or not, a LOT of people in Buffalo are really tired of Allen turning the ball over so consistently and
are asking some hard questions about him. The loss to the Pats unhinged a lot of them. There is a sense of real
desperation, no matter how iconic he might seem for that franchise and desperate people are unpredictable.

I personally would say a qualified no to Allen, but thought there was some food for thought in both directions.
Spoiler, it's already closed. :coffee:

Do you want a dumber Drew Bledsoe with better wheels for $50mil/yr for the next 4? Given the right pieces you could win with it, in theory. But then again, he's had 'the right pieces' for 3 years and hasn't won shit, so, I dunno.

Back