Mac Jones Is Our QB1

It still boggles my mind that the principal criticism of Jones is "All he does is throw the ball really well"
If that's the worst trait about him then we will be ok I think. Part of me wants to see him really out perform the 4 other QB's taken before him.

If that's the worst trait about him then we will be ok I think. Part of me wants to see him really out perform the 4 other QB's taken before him.

Well, he kinda blew them outta the water in just his first game.

He seems to have it all going for him.

All of me wants to see this. For several (obvious) reasons.

I finally had a chance to watch the game for a second time and I watched Mac as closely as I could.

He was outstanding, as everybody has recognized, but what got me was the maturity. He just doesn't get the vapors when things go wrong and keeps his focus to an extent which I find mind-boggling. I was impressed with how he wasn't interested in celebrating his first TD pass and quickly just handed the ball to Hoyer. I got the impression he wasn't just doing it for window dressing, either. He really didn't feel like it while we were still in the middle of a dogfight. Maybe we'll see him open up a bit in the future when a win is assured, but the kid stays on point.

We had several drives bog down for various reasons, penalties and fumbles and a couple of plays that Miami sniffed out well, but he just kept his cool and kept attacking.

People have duly noted the beautiful wheel route pass to White that couldn't have been handed to him any better, but I noticed some subtle things that you just don't see from rookies. I'm pretty sure I saw him look the safeties off on a running play late in the game and Harris busted free for a nice gain just when Miami had started zeroing in on him. Stuff like that.

I figured the kid would be really, really good in time, but that debut was eye-popping. He looks wayyyy ahead of the curve. I'm not sure I've ever seen a rookie QB with that much command in his first game, nevermind in this offense where the whole show depends on the QB's ability to process everything and execute. The offense was a bit sloppy, but Jones wasn't.

This is going to be fun to watch. I can't wait for the next one and seeing him in person when the Saints come in two Sundays from now.

Philly is even worse. Believe it or not.

City of brotherly love it is not any longer.

That is a great story.

To a kid from Boston Tony Conigliaro was the ultimate local hero. Hit a homer in his first at-bat for his hometown team. Youngest player (at that time) to hit 100 homers. Movie star looks and a rock star voice. When I was about 8 hanging out at the beach snack bar I'd go over to the juke box and cue up "Playing the Field" after a local girl tried to con me into playing Herman's Hermits instead which didn't work on me. Mrs. Brown and her lovely daughter. As if. She was too young to get how cool he was. A Red Sox star with a hit record. He was our Elvis.

He was one of my 3 idols along with John Lennon and Alan Shephard and if I could have picked just one to be like it would have probably been Tony. I tried to copy his swing with a menacing tilt forward at the top. It's a pity what happened to him. He would have been an all-time great.

Ahhh, the memories.

View: https://youtu.be/p5whptzs1g8

I have never heard that song before. I do remember hearing another by Tony on the radio a couple times months before I went in the Army and met Tony. And I really can't remember the tune now.
I haven't thought of him for many years. Funny how a post by JL, brought back so many memories of that time.
There was another celeb in the company next to us
going through basic. He played Wally on Leave it to Beaver. I remember him taking crap from the guys just walking back and forth to the mess hall.

I have never heard that song before. I do remember hearing another by Tony on the radio a couple times months before I went in the Army and met Tony. And I really can't remember the tune now.
I haven't thought of him for many years. Funny how a post by JL, brought back so many memories of that time.
There was another celeb in the company next to us
going through basic. He played Wally on Leave it to Beaver. I remember him taking crap from the guys just walking back and forth to the mess hall.

Tony Dow? Did you ever tell him that you thought the CO was "kinda creepy and junk"? Your basic had two famous Tonys. My wife and I started rewatching Leave It to Beaver this summer and I discovered that they did an amazing 234 episodes of that show in 6 seasons. Dow probably went into the service just to get some sleep.

That Tony C. song I linked was actually the B side to a song called "Why don't they understand?" which is also on Youtube, but I preferred it to another tune which got a fair amount of buzz and was probably his best-known, called "Little Red Scooter" which might be the one you were thinking of. I think all of his stuff is on Youtube, but "Playing the Field" was the only one I could relate to due to the baseball lyrics. I was unaware that those lyrics were double entendres about his sex life when I was 8, but it seemed pretty obvious now.

I still go to that beach (Green Harbor in Marshfield) that I mentioned and I actually recalled the little chick griping about my bad musical taste when I was there last month, but I never considered trying to find that song again. Sometimes It's weird the stuff that you remember. Listening to it again after all those years really took me back. It's amazing some of the shit you can find on that website.

:rofl:

E_ftao-WQAYEt-d

Tony Dow? Did you ever tell him that you thought the CO was "kinda creepy and junk"? Your basic had two famous Tonys. My wife and I started rewatching Leave It to Beaver this summer and I discovered that they did an amazing 234 episodes of that show in 6 seasons. Dow probably went into the service just to get some sleep.

That Tony C. song I linked was actually the B side to a song called "Why don't they understand?" which is also on Youtube, but I preferred it to another tune which got a fair amount of buzz and was probably his best-known, called "Little Red Scooter" which might be the one you were thinking of. I think all of his stuff is on Youtube, but "Playing the Field" was the only one I could relate to due to the baseball lyrics. I was unaware that those lyrics were double entendres about his sex life when I was 8, but it seemed pretty obvious now.

I still go to that beach (Green Harbor in Marshfield) that I mentioned and I actually recalled the little chick griping about my bad musical taste when I was there last month, but I never considered trying to find that song again. Sometimes It's weird the stuff that you remember. Listening to it again after all those years really took me back. It's amazing some of the shit you can find on that website.
Yes Tony Dow! He couldn't walk off out of his barracks without some a-hole yelling "hey Wally, getting much Beav" or some shit like that.
It was an interesting time for a 19 year old from Maine.
One incident I remember was when we went on a 5 mile run with full packs and rifle. Tony was faking being out of breath and dragging. One poor draftee, soft as a marshmallow, was about to collapse. Tony C took his rifle and dragged him to the finish. If you didn't make the run, you had to do it over and over until you made it. Tony saved that kid from possibly being recycled.

Last edited:
Back