Mac Jones Is Our QB1

I made the mistake of listening to EEI for about 3 minutes last night. Just wringing hand about why Mac doesn't throw the deep ball and why he's not using the TE's more.
It is only game 2 and Mac is doing what BB and Josh wants him to do at this point.

It's all part of the plan to catch Arians off guard. That's my theory and I'm sticking with it. :coffee:

Lazar’s Film Review: Patriots’ Mac Jones Leaves Too Many Big Plays on the Field vs. Jets​

It will get better

Lazar’s Film Review: Patriots’ Mac Jones Leaves Too Many Big Plays on the Field vs. Jets​

It will get better

Love Lazar.

Mac missed a couple for sure, but I DO believe they are coaching him that way. Why would they ever admit it, though?

Hell, BB wouldn't tell you what he had for breakfast on game days because someone would compile and contrast the teams relative starting field position or something crazy. LOL.

Unprovable theory

Mac right now is being coached to hit the first open read. The progressions right now are short to long.
I don't think so. I've seen some film breakdowns that highlight him looking off safeties and working through his progressions that don't seem short to long.

Unprovable theory

Mac right now is being coached to hit the first open read. The progressions right now are short to long.

It would make a ton of sense, especially considering he was going against Wilson who kept trying to go for a big play and would screw the pooch.

Sure, it might seem very conservative, but in time he should be more confident to make those reads. He has shown he can take care of the football, and right now that might be more important than taking chances on "NFL throws" until he is more comfortable in the system.

Unprovable theory

McDaniels has said the opposite. That they are not reeling him in. The double pass play was glaring to me. He never looked at Agahlor who was open for a TD but checked right down to Smith.

I do think it is early in the season and we have to see where our offense goes now that we are finally playing some non-division opponents the next few weeks.

One thing to keep in mind - Mac has the least amount of arm talent compared to the other QBs taken ahead of him. That is one of the main reasons he was there for us at #15. He could just be hesitant to pull the trigger because he feels better about taking the safe play. Or he does not trust his arm or receivers yet. Both I think will come in time.

McDaniels has said the opposite. That they are not reeling him in. The double pass play was glaring to me. He never looked at Agahlor who was open for a TD but checked right down to Smith.

I do think it is early in the season and we have to see where our offense goes now that we are finally playing some non-division opponents the next few weeks.

One thing to keep in mind - Mac has the least amount of arm talent compared to the other QBs taken ahead of him. That is one of the main reasons he was there for us at #15. He could just be hesitant to pull the trigger because he feels better about taking the safe play. Or he does not trust his arm or receivers yet. Both I think will come in time.
I think Jones trusts his arm, more so his accuracy. Odd comparison time, Chad Pennington wasn't going to throw an 80 yard bomb, but he could throw a guy open, his accuracy was ridiculous. I feel Jones is similar, he may not have the arm strength but he certainly has the accuracy. But even on deeper passes he has shown nice touch and ball placement and hasn't really underthrown a receiver deep. Granted he hasn't taken too many shots down field for that to be a completely accurate statement. But I do think he has outperformed all the other QB's taken before him.

I personally would rather have a QB who is smart and doesn't make a whole lot of mistakes with the ball and doesn't try to force the ball into spots he shouldn't (see Zach Wilson for example) than have a guy who can heave the ball 90 yards.

I think Jones trusts his arm, more so his accuracy. Odd comparison time, Chad Pennington wasn't going to throw an 80 yard bomb, but he could throw a guy open, his accuracy was ridiculous. I feel Jones is similar, he may not have the arm strength but he certainly has the accuracy. But even on deeper passes he has shown nice touch and ball placement and hasn't really underthrown a receiver deep. Granted he hasn't taken too many shots down field for that to be a completely accurate statement. But I do think he has outperformed all the other QB's taken before him.

I personally would rather have a QB who is smart and doesn't make a whole lot of mistakes with the ball and doesn't try to force the ball into spots he shouldn't (see Zach Wilson for example) than have a guy who can heave the ball 90 yards.
I don't think it is about 80 yard bombs as those never come up in a game except for Hail Mary's. I think it is more about throwing the deeper routes that require the ball to come in on a laser versus the floaters down the sideline like he has hit to White a couple of times. I am just guessing like everyone else as to why he is not attempting more down field throws in the 20-40 yard range. It could be a combo of coaching and also him trusting his arm and his receivers. We really don't have skill guys that can get a lot of separation except for Algahlor so that could be it too.

I like the accuracy too but for our offense to progress to its next evolution, he is going to have to start showing he can make some of the more dynamic throws down the field. I do think it will come in time and also when we have better receivers on the outside as well.

I don't think it is about 80 yard bombs as those never come up in a game except for Hail Mary's. I think it is more about throwing the deeper routes that require the ball to come in on a laser versus the floaters down the sideline like he has hit to White a couple of times. I am just guessing like everyone else as to why he is not attempting more down field throws in the 20-40 yard range. It could be a combo of coaching and also him trusting his arm and his receivers. We really don't have skill guys that can get a lot of separation except for Algahlor so that could be it too.

I like the accuracy too but for our offense to progress to its next evolution, he is going to have to start showing he can make some of the more dynamic throws down the field. I do think it will come in time and also when we have better receivers on the outside as well.

It is almost like you read the Lazar article.

Plus the required BB GM hate of course....

Unprovable theory

Sort of right but here's a little diff way to look at it.
I remember Brady way back when saying his job was to never pass up the first open man he saw even if it were for only a short gain unless he needed more for a 1st down.
That was with Weis as OC.

It is almost like you read the Lazar article.

Plus the required BB GM hate of course....
I didn't read his article but I don't think it takes much football acumen to watch the last 2 games and figure out why Mac is hesitant. He is a rookie, playing for Bill in offense designed to run and play defense and he does not have great skill guys that he trusts yet. I mean pretty simple.

I didn't read his article but I don't think it takes much football acumen to watch the last 2 games and figure out why Mac is hesitant. He is a rookie, playing for Bill in offense designed to run and play defense and he does not have great skill guys that he trusts yet. I mean pretty simple.

Pretty simple. Sure. Just a coincidence. I got it. You didn't read the article.

Me either. I didn't read it either.

Nope. I sure didn't.

Did. Not. Read. It.

Read what?

Pretty simple. Sure. Just a coincidence. I got it. You didn't read the article.

Me either. I didn't read it either.

Nope. I sure didn't.

Did. Not. Read. It.

Read what?
It's pretty sad that you have become "that guy.'

You have always been IMO a valuable poster to this forum and outside of the Bill issue we agree on most things up here especially the PF.

It will get better

This was what I was saying...but, some people here were boo/booing my points.

I do agree that it will get better though. Without a doubt.

Back