Mac Jones Is Our QB1

I remember telling BB (via my television) to TRADE UP! Every pick I was afraid some would pick him or trade up. I was convinced at pick #14 that the Vikings were going so select him. Why wouldn't they? I'll go to my grave thanking the Jete for trading with the Vikes.

I started off 2021 hoping stidham would be the guy, but if not then Jones. Then I wavered between him and Lance until about a week before the draft when I saw a couple of pre-draft scouting youtube videos. THey were glowing because he wasn't a threat to run, but they kept talking about reading and manipulating defenses, accuracy, and throwing players open.

All in all, even those who complained about Jones' selection in the draft thread are surely all on board now.
Tell that to Gasbag Gasper...

It's right there...8/9.
That's the completion percentage. It can't be the conversion percentage because they were 3rd and >10, and 8/9 only totals 76 yards.

Therefore he completed some of those 8 passes short of the sticks. Better than a punch in the nuts, sack, or (in most circumstances) an incompletion, but not reaching the goal.

That's the completion percentage. It can't be the conversion percentage because they were 3rd and >10, and 8/9 only totals 76 yards.

Therefore he completed some of those 8 passes short of the sticks. Better than a punch in the nuts, sack, or (in most circumstances) an incompletion, but not reaching the goal.

Ah, you meant 1st down conversion. IDK. Nevertheless, his 8/9 on passes of > 10 yds is good enough to continue those calls.

Ah, you meant 1st down conversion. IDK. Nevertheless, his 8/9 on passes of > 10 yds is good enough to continue those calls.
I think I will follow Flagg on this one. 3rd down completions don't mean much if you are not going to go for it on 4th down or converting.

I remember telling BB (via my television) to TRADE UP! Every pick I was afraid some would pick him or trade up. I was convinced at pick #14 that the Vikings were going so select him. Why wouldn't they? I'll go to my grave thanking the Jete for trading with the Vikes.

I started off 2021 hoping stidham would be the guy, but if not then Jones. Then I wavered between him and Lance until about a week before the draft when I saw a couple of pre-draft scouting youtube videos. THey were glowing because he wasn't a threat to run, but they kept talking about reading and manipulating defenses, accuracy, and throwing players open.

All in all, even those who complained about Jones' selection in the draft thread are surely all on board now.

I was right there with you cringing every time a team that could possibly use a QB came to the podium. I guess I would have been OK with a trade up, but the cost was unknown and could have been exorbitant. Then, as if that torture wasn't bad enough, he's sitting there at 15 and I'm shitting my pants that they'd pass over him and we'd lose our shot at rebuilding this season.

I would have been happy with Lance or Fields, but neither seemed a sure bet to do what we require anytime soon. I felt certain that Mac was a perfect fit and I didn't pay any attention to the people screaming about his arm being weak, because I'd seen him play a bunch of times. Those people are either blind or football stupid. I also knew that his athleticism and foot speed was much better than the other guy we had here. It was good enough and the every other trait seemed between very good to off the charts.

A lot of those who complained have backed away from their keyboards since, but definitely not all. Once a tag gets placed on a young guy it tends to stick like Gorilla Glue and nobody likes to admit that they were wrong. Mac will have to dominate people on a consistent basis before that stuff all goes away. Plus, there is the problem of transference of Patriots hate/jealousy to Jones.

I was right there with you cringing every time a team that could possibly use a QB came to the podium. I guess I would have been OK with a trade up, but the cost was unknown and could have been exorbitant. Then, as if that torture wasn't bad enough, he's sitting there at 15 and I'm shitting my pants that they'd pass over him and we'd lose our shot at rebuilding this season.

I would have been happy with Lance or Fields, but neither seemed a sure bet to do what we require anytime soon. I felt certain that Mac was a perfect fit and I didn't pay any attention to the people screaming about his arm being weak, because I'd seen him play a bunch of times. Those people are either blind or football stupid. I also knew that his athleticism and foot speed was much better than the other guy we had here. It was good enough and the every other trait seemed between very good to off the charts.

A lot of those who complained have backed away from their keyboards since, but definitely not all. Once a tag gets placed on a young guy it tends to stick like Gorilla Glue and nobody likes to admit that they were wrong. Mac will have to dominate people on a consistent basis before that stuff all goes away. Plus, there is the problem of transference of Patriots hate/jealousy to Jones.

They were definitely wrong and they see it now. Mac can do the job and he's proven it over and over in the face of a thundering herd coming right at him.
As the colorful Hank Stram used to say, he can matriculate the ball down the field.

Oh, Geez, you know, I don't think I even thought they might pass on him. I guess I just assumed they'd take him. Just as well, I was a nervous wreck as it was just being afriad someone would snag him. And I had a brief moment of paranoia that the Jets traded up just to keep him from the Pats.

Oh, Geez, you know, I don't think I even thought they might pass on him. I guess I just assumed they'd take him. Just as well, I was a nervous wreck as it was just being afriad someone would snag him. And I had a brief moment of paranoia that the Jets traded up just to keep him from the Pats.

I don't recall ever cheering as hard as I did at a draft than when Mac was picked. I was a nervous wreck hoping, but expecting for the inevitable shoe to drop, especially after seeing teams pick QB after QB and trading up. I just found it really nerve racking and thought BB might not even be interested in picking a QB because he wasn't trading up. When he was picked I remember cheering as if it was a playoff win, and the rest is history as they say...

I think there were several trades prior to 15, including the Jets at 14, but even after they took Boyband I was still concerned.

Getting Barmore was frosting on the cake, because he was the guy I always focused on whenever I watched 'Bama on D. On that note, I was rewatching the end of the Cowboys game last night and thought Barmore had one of his best series yet. He was getting doubled every play and was still getting heat on Prescott. So far, he's coming along almost as fast as Mac.

It would have been a great draft if we quit after Jones, but after a year or two it'll go down as one of the best we've ever had.

I really think that BB was ok with someone snagging Mac if he didn't move up. I think he was going to stay at 15 and if Mac was gone, he would have taken Trask in the 2nd.

I really think that BB was ok with someone snagging Mac if he didn't move up. I think he was going to stay at 15 and if Mac was gone, he would have taken Trask in the 2nd.

Stuff like that is why I was so afraid on Draft night. I watched Trask in a preseason game and he was just flinging the ball to nowhere randomly. That doesn't mean he won't be a good
player someday, but he sure didn't look like he'll be one anytime soon.

I did a Tiger-Woods-style fist pump when the pick was announced - we were all in a couple hotel rooms at the time. One of the Little Wanderers said "I've never seen you do that before, Dad!"

I'd been talking about Jones as the guy I was targeting and wanting them to take - I think I had him as my #2 guy behind Lawrence, and was saying I wasn't so sure he wasn't #1.

I don't recall ever cheering as hard as I did at a draft than when Mac was picked.
Vince Wilfork came close. Very close. Had he come out the year before he was slotted top 5. But he kept slipping and slipping, and then Miami (who should have been VERY familiar with Wilfork), jumped us from 22 to 20 and took a guard. So two of the best first round picks we made in the last 2 decades we were jumped by division rivals who both selected OGs.

Back