Mac Jones Is Our QB1

We don't need a qb who will win the game, we need a qb who will not lose the game, circa 2001.
Not in today's league with the rules that favor the offense.

Not in today's league with the rules that favor the offense.
I will repeat as often as necessary that if not turning the ball over, your offense will have as many possessions as the other teams. Doesn't matter if you run 75% of the time or never. Ball control offense is as or more effective than highlight reel offense. Ball control offense will tire the opposing defense.

I will repeat as often as necessary that if not turning the ball over, your offense will have as many possessions as the other teams. Doesn't matter if you run 75% of the time or never. Ball control offense is as or more effective than highlight reel offense. Ball control offense will tire the opposing defense.
Ideally, sure. But if the other team is scoring then you have to be able to open it up and score. We are playing some of the best offenses in the league this year. We play in the AFC which is littered with high octane offenses and elite QBs that score in chunks.

Ideally, sure. But if the other team is scoring then you have to be able to open it up and score. We are playing some of the best offenses in the league this year. We play in the AFC which is littered with high octane offenses and elite QBs that score in chunks.
But it doesn't matter how fast we score, as long as we score when they do. If they score in one play, we get the ball back and score in 19 plays we are even but the other defense will be very tired by the 4th quarter. We do not have to open it up, we just have to keep up. That doesn't mean we have to score in one play like they did. Why pay for a defense at all if that is your attitude towards winning in the NFL. Just get the best 53 offensive players you can and they can just stand on the field during the other teams offensive possessions. I really don't want to have to score 50-60 points a game to win. I would like to win 21-10 or something like that.

But it doesn't matter how fast we score, as long as we score when they do. If they score in one play, we get the ball back and score in 19 plays we are even but the other defense will be very tired by the 4th quarter. We do not have to open it up, we just have to keep up. That doesn't mean we have to score in one play like they did. Why pay for a defense at all if that is your attitude towards winning in the NFL. Just get the best 53 offensive players you can and they can just stand on the field during the other teams offensive possessions. I really don't want to have to score 50-60 points a game to win. I would like to win 21-10 or something like that.
I would like to win low scoring too but there are not too many offenses we are going to hold to 10 points.

IMO, I think we need to score mid-20s on average and of course more against the powerhouse offenses. I am basing this on our defense being better than last year although I am concerned about our secondary even if Gilmore is back. If our secondary is not one of the top ones in the conference than we will struggle mightily to hold off even bad teams, see Houston game from last year. So, I would rather have an offense that can put up points to ensure we win those types of games when the other's team offense/QB is going off.

This worries me to be honest if it happens. Whoever is the starter needs all the reps once the regular season starts or else our offense will have fits and starts.

Are you saying you distrust Belichick's methods which have historically been proven far more correct than any of us wringing our hands in confusion and consternation over his moves?

Are you saying you distrust Belichick's methods which have historically been proven far more correct than any of us wringing our hands in confusion and consternation over his moves?
I am not convinced Bill is going to do that (split the reps) for precisely the reasons you state. He believes in having the starter as ready as possible for every game and no days off. And let's face it, Cam needs all the reps he can get. He has said this himself.

I would like to win low scoring too but there are not too many offenses we are going to hold to 10 points.

IMO, I think we need to score mid-20s on average and of course more against the powerhouse offenses. I am basing this on our defense being better than last year although I am concerned about our secondary even if Gilmore is back. If our secondary is not one of the top ones in the conference than we will struggle mightily to hold off even bad teams, see Houston game from last year. So, I would rather have an offense that can put up points to ensure we win those types of games when the other's team offense/QB is going off.
Those games can be won with time of possession ....taking as much time off the clock, while wearing down the opposing defense and scoring..... hence the concentration on the running game...

~Dee~

I am not convinced Bill is going to do that (split the reps) for precisely the reasons you state. He believes in having the starter as ready as possible for every game and no days off. And let's face it, Cam needs all the reps he can get. He has said this himself.
Please explain the pre-season so far.

Please explain the pre-season so far.
That is common for the preseason as you are not game planning to win. Rookies normally get reps/playing time in the pre-season.
Once the regular season comes, the starter takes all the reps as then the team is game planning for the opponent.

You know I want Mac to start desperately but if Cam is going to be the starter than he should get the reps. I want him as ready as possible. Our first 2 games are divisional games. We really need to win both or else our chance at the division takes a serious hit right out of the gate.

That is common for the preseason as you are not game planning to win. Rookies normally get reps/playing time in the pre-season.
Once the regular season comes, the starter takes all the reps as then the team is game planning for the opponent.

You know I want Mac to start desperately but if Cam is going to be the starter than he should get the reps. I want him as ready as possible. Our first 2 games are divisional games. We really need to win both or else our chance at the division takes a serious hit right out of the gate.
No. Not like this.

Here you go. This will make you feel better. Get beyond the first 3-4 minutes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU01cEikSWA

No need to post any highlights. I like Mac - a lot. I am just not ready to anoint him anything right now. He has not played one snap of a real game. There are 4 really good QBs that were taken before him. I think this class of QBs has a chance to be truly special and I certainly hope Mac is the best of the lot BUT I liked Jimmy a lot too. Let's allow his career to play out a bit.

No. Not like this.
Sure. We have a true competition going on. But once the starter is named, I want him taking all the snaps. If Mac is named the week one starter, I don't want him splitting with Cam either. I think it is terrible for game planning and will hurt continuity of the offense that already has so many new pieces added through FA/draft.

Mac needs reps, too. He'll be QB2 at the very least. He has to be ready to play.

Mac needs reps, too. He'll be QB2 at the very least. He has to be ready to play.
Sure. No doubt. I just don't want them split. Cam needs to have the majority. You agree, right? I feel the same if Mac is named the starter.

First long term goal is the division.

Sure. No doubt. I just don't want them split. Cam needs to have the majority. You agree, right? I feel the same if Mac is named the starter.

I don't agree. Split doesn't mean 50/50. :coffee:

I don't think splitting the first team reps is all that likely. Belichick tried that with Bledsoe and Brady and it didn't work for him. I could be wrong and maybe he has a new way to make it work, but he clearly stated it didn't work well in 2001.

I think Mac will be QB 2 and get all he can handle in practice though.

Whoever is the 3rd qb will be scout team.

Back