Mac Jones Is Our QB1

Mac Jones says he needs to be a more vocal leader during Patriots practice:
“Being the quarterback, I need to do a better job of demanding more in practice. I sometimes let things slide.”

The birth of a leader. Love this

Watching the highlights, seems like Mac had a very good first game as a pro, if he can continue to perform to that level and even exceed it, then the future seems very promising with him at the helm.

PFF's QB grades are in:

Mac's Passer Rating Grade came in 9th. He surpassed Mahomes, Mayfield, Jimmy G., Josh Allen, Tyrod Taylor, Burrow, Wentz, Goff, Zach Wilson, Tannehill, Trey Lance, Matt Ryan, Trevor Lawrence, Tua, Heinicke, Rodgers, Fitzmagic, a few others and Ben came in last. His Passer Rating was hurt by his batted ball and his fumble. Otherwise he'd have been top 5 or 6.

His Adjusted completion % came in 4th for QBs with more than 15 throws behind only Hurts, Wentz, and Wilson.

From Breer's MMQB series today

I think it’s hard to believe that the Dolphins would feel better about Tua Tagovailoa than the Patriots do about Mac Jones this morning. And I say that with a whole lot of respect for the job that Brian Flores has done. He’s now 3–2 against his mentor, Patriots coach Bill Belichick, and Miami’s 17–16 win over New England was his second in Foxboro. His team was tough and disciplined, and won the game despite being outgained 393 to 259, in large part because Xavien Howard was able rip the ball away from Patriots bell cow Damien Harris inside the Dolphins’ 10 to preserve the one-point lead with 3:31 left; and because the offense was able to churn out a couple of first downs after that to ensure Jones and the Patriots wouldn’t get the ball back. And by looks of how Jones came on late, it’s a good thing for the Dolphins they didn’t. You could see the confidence Jones was gaining, and the coaches were putting in him. On a third-and-6 with 6:51 to go, Jones stared down a blitz and delivered the ball through a forest of D-linemen to Jakobi Meyers for seven yards and a first down. Five snaps later, Belichick and Josh McDaniels wheeled Jones out there in an empty look—making him personally responsible for extra rushers—and Jones took the snap and quickly dealt it to Jonnu Smith for 11 yards to set up first-and-10 from the Dolphin 11 with 3:35 to go. Harris’s fumble came on the next play, but I’d say the Patriots, even in a loss, saw a lot of what they wanted to see from their rookie QB. As for the Dolphins and Tagovailoa? Well, here’s what Patriots DB J.C. Jackson said, in response to a question on Tagovailoa’s pick (running from Matthew Judon, he tried to throw the ball away, and it ended up in Jonathan Jones’s hands near the boundary instead): “That’s what he does. If he doesn’t have his first read, he just is going to throw the ball up and that’s when we capitalize on defense when he makes mistakes like that.” Harsh comment? Maybe. But it also matches up with the reputation Tagovailoa had coming out of Alabama—where Jones thrived on his depth of knowledge of the game, Tagovailoa played more off instinct, accuracy and overall twitchiness. The hard truth here is that Tua looked explosive and played fast at Bama, and that hasn’t translated to the pros. There’s still time, of course. But it was at least a tad alarming that Tagovailoa’s old college backup, now an NFL rookie, looked better in a regular-season setting.

LOL. I thought Breer was an a$$hat?

I really don't get the Tua hate at all. The guys is:
7-3 as a starter
He's thrown 12 TDs to 6 picks (2:1 ratio)
4 rushing TDs
63.7 completion percentage
2000+ yards passing

I really don't get the Tua hate at all. The guys is:
7-3 as a starter
He's thrown 12 TDs to 6 picks (2:1 ratio)
4 rushing TDs
63.7 completion percentage
2000+ yards passing
I don't think there's any "hate", it's just that so far, he's a 60% passer, with sub 90 passer rating, who has averaged 200 yards and a TD per game, which isn't typically enough for a team to win in the modern NFL. Which also wouldn't be that bad, if it weren't for being the 5th overall pick, and the Dolphins now a year later being in a position where they are potentially trading 3 1st round picks in a desperate attempt to upgrade at QB, if the Deshaun Watson rumors are to be believed. So again not hate, moreso just a recognition that up to this point, he's not met expectations, much less exceeded them.

I don't think there's any "hate", it's just that so far, he's a 60% passer, with sub 90 passer rating, who has averaged 200 yards and a TD per game, which isn't typically enough for a team to win in the modern NFL. Which also wouldn't be that bad, if it weren't for being the 5th overall pick, and the Dolphins now a year later being in a position where they are potentially trading 3 1st round picks in a desperate attempt to upgrade at QB, if the Deshaun Watson rumors are to be believed. So again not hate, moreso just a recognition that up to this point, he's not met expectations, much less exceeded them.
LOL. He's only played 10 games.

I see the Watson trade as completely separate. Any time you have a chance to get a proven, elite talent like Watson, you do it.

LOL. He's only played 10 games.

I see the Watson trade as completely separate. Any time you have a chance to get a proven, elite talent like Watson, you do it.
You say that, but then the 49ers stuck with Jimmy G, etc etc. Tom Brady being available, look at the class of QB to where it was more worthwhile in the organization's viewpoint to stick with what they had rather than going after a proven, elite talent. He didn't even require draft picks to obtain! Watson has lawsuits, possible suspension, and serious character concerns hanging over his head. So for Miami to be willing to risk that to make the trade, I don't see how it can be anything But a reflection of their view on Tua. He may have only played 10 games, and he may blossom into a star in the league, but why would anyone be over the moon with him so far? If and when he starts posting 300+ yard games and / or multiple TDs on the regular, I'm sure people will be appropriately impressed. So far he's looking like a similar player to Alex Smith, which there's nothing wrong with that. However it only took 1 game for Mac Jones to already look significantly better.

You say that, but then the 49ers stuck with Jimmy G, etc etc. Tom Brady being available, look at the class of QB to where it was more worthwhile in the organization's viewpoint to stick with what they had rather than going after a proven, elite talent. He didn't even require draft picks to obtain! Watson has lawsuits, possible suspension, and serious character concerns hanging over his head. So for Miami to be willing to risk that to make the trade, I don't see how it can be anything But a reflection of their view on Tua. He may have only played 10 games, and he may blossom into a star in the league, but why would anyone be over the moon with him so far? If and when he starts posting 300+ yard games and / or multiple TDs on the regular, I'm sure people will be appropriately impressed. So far he's looking like a similar player to Alex Smith, which there's nothing wrong with that. However it only took 1 game for Mac Jones to already look significantly better.
The Niners are idiots. I think that has been proven in spades since last off-season.

Very few QBs ever reach Watsons level and are available at his age. If not for his off field issues he would have been traded by now.

Back