Mac Jones Is Our QB1

Odd. This actually makes me feel better that Mac Jones is my QB. Didn't Rex pick and stick with buttfumble Sanchez?

Rex Ryan: "The Patriots won't make the playoffs because they have a peashooter at quarterback. This team should've been beaten by the Houston Texans. When the ball travels down the field more than 15 yards [in the air], it's bad news for this guy. He's like Danny Wuerffel."
you mean we don't want a guy who throws long, pretty ints downfield?😄

He does throw 3 balls a game that seem to be lock interceptions. I expect that to change, but if we're being honest in our assessment, he needs to learn to climb the pocket (actually better yesterday), and he needs to read linebackers much, much better. It's not easy, every QB has issues with it from time to time, but it's going to cost a game at some point if it doesn't get fixed.

That said, 3 screen passes from first and goal at the 9 is fucking inexcusable playcalling.
I think he's regularly underestimating how quick 'backers are, and how far they can drop to make a play on the ball. Even safeties, putting a foot in the ground and covering territory to get in position for a pick.

Mostly. If so, he should adjust to that pretty quickly.

He does throw 3 balls a game that seem to be lock interceptions. I expect that to change, but if we're being honest in our assessment, he needs to learn to climb the pocket (actually better yesterday), and he needs to read linebackers much, much better. It's not easy, every QB has issues with it from time to time, but it's going to cost a game at some point if it doesn't get fixed.

That said, 3 screen passes from first and goal at the 9 is fucking inexcusable playcalling.
If I wasn't already bald I would have pulled my hair out.

Exactly. I mean, he was good, but he was sort of a deep route runner guy and a consistently good one at that. I just laugh at the Pats haters out there that claim Edelman isn't in the discussion as a WR and I say he absolutely is if a like Swann or Lofton are in the HOF. I mean, it's one thing to have upper level production for a long period of time, but there's other arguments to be made for Edelman.

5 years ago I'd just laugh at how people just refused to acknowledged he was a top 3-5 WR in the AFC. Brown, Hopkins, maybe AJ Green, but give me 11 Edelmans all day, everyday even over those guys.

Ultimate gamer and football player.
I dunno, I'm taking Nuke over Edelman. You can't teach 6'4", 4.4, 40" verts and glue hands. The other two you can keep.

You know, I really thought he moved in and around the pocket pretty well yesterday. Even when he rolled out, he showed decent speed.
Rex is fucking A hole, just looking for anyway to criticize the Pats. He's largely out of coaching because of the Pat's. That being said, there is a concern with Mac when the weather turns, it will be another test for him.

Rex is fucking A hole, just looking for anyway to criticize the Pats. He's largely out of coaching because of the Pat's. That being said, there is a concern with Mac when the weather turns, it will be another test for him.
sure, cold, snow, will be another challenge. that said, i was VERY impressed with how mac handled the rain. 0 issues. i believe most qbs would rather play in snow than rain.

I agree. He will continue to develop his body and core and hopefully get stronger. Arm strength was his major issue. I think if he learns to step forward more and not backwards everything will be better for him.

Two things that aren't exactly new points, but I feel like elaborating a bit now that I've had a chance to watch Jones for a while.

1. The precision with which Jones delivers the football is very unusual. Not every ball is perfectly on target, but the percentage of passes that are spot on has to
be extremely high. This is based on nothing more than observation and could be tilted a bit because I recently spent a season watching Cam Newton where if he
happened to deliver an accurate ball or two in the course of a game you were surprised. Mac seems to throw a dime on every other pass he attempts. He appears,
to me, to be an extremely accurate passer.

2. "Catchable ball".

We heard Lofton use that expression a couple of times yesterday and that wording has sometimes been used over the years as sort of a polite euphemism for "no zip on the ball".

I don't believe that is the case with Mac, because I've seen him throw some ropes when the situation calls for it, but my take is that Jones actually changes speeds
like a baseball pitcher. He's excellent at short/touch passes and James White would have had a big year with the kid. As has been mentioned in this thread, he's still not used to the speed of pro linebackers/DBs and has some close calls, but steady pressure on him is part of that problem. When (and if) the pocket clears up a bit, I think we'll see the near picks clear up, too. When we
figure out how to get our OL untracked then I believe that people, like Rex Ryan, who believe he has a weakish arm are going to discover that he can throw a pretty good fastball, too. To continue
the baseball analogy, he isn't going to hit 100 on the radar gun, but he can throw 94 on the outside corner. His mechanics look really solid and as his body matures I think his arm will get stronger.

I'm not saying that Jones is the only QB who changes speeds, but rather there are a lot of rookies/young QBs who either don't do it at all, or not nearly as well. I think you can throw some vets
in there, too. We've got a kid to watch now who is not only talented, but pretty unique.

Phil Perry had throwing coach Tom House on a recent podcast. House likes what he sees of Mac and figures he has had good coaching in the past. House made a point of not having worked with Mac previously. House also mentioned having lying eyes. When you see a car wheel spinning backwards on TV, it's because the film speed isn't fast enough. He has been using high speed film in his coaching. And learned that prior to that film work he was coaching poorly, he had lying eyes.

I agree. He will continue to develop his body and core and hopefully get stronger. Arm strength was his major issue. I think if he learns to step forward more and not backwards everything will be better for him.
Arm strength is not his "major issue" at all. That's statement by morons jealous he fell into our lap at 15. You don't have an arm strength issue and play at Alabama and set all kinds of records beating out a 5 star recruit.

Tom Brady was reported to have a weak arm as well, which was completely bogus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arm strength is not his "major issue" at all. That's statement by morons jealous he fell into our lap at 15. You don't have an arm strength issue and play at Alabama and set all kinds of records beating out a 5 star recruit.

Tom Brady was reported to have a weak arm as well, which was completely bogus.

In a nutshell, this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brady, in his first 3-4 years, was ridiculed by fans of other teams as a dink and dunk passer. As Jones gets more notice, that stupid shit will happen with him as well. "He's a game manager, not a QB," and "He's just a product of the system," were tags also applied to Brady and probably soon will be to Jones. Who cares what haters think. While they spew judgemental opinions which they pretend are facts, the rest of the world looks at objective data. This is from today's TheAthletic.com:

Mac Jones delivers another consistent effort
Mac Jones hasn’t been the flashiest quarterback in the NFL through five weeks, but he’s been arguably the Patriots’ most consistent offensive player. He threw a few passes that could been picked off against the Texans, but otherwise, he played the same steady game he has each week. The most encouraging part of Jones’ game is how he’s improving against the blitz. Teams have been testing Jones with extra rushers since Week 1. In the first three weeks of the season, Jones was the sixth-worst quarterback against the blitz, according to Expected Points Added per dropback. In the last two weeks, Jones is the seventh-best quarterback against the blitz, according to EPA per dropback. He has a 99.5 passer rating against the blitz over the last two weeks, according to TruMedia data. The best way to make teams stop blitzing is to beat the blitz, and Jones is starting to do that.

Jones is also performing well with a clean pocket. He only attempted seven passes while pressured on Sunday, according to Pro Football Focus. One of those resulted in an interception. But when kept clean, Jones completed 19 of his 23 passes. His yards per attempt jumped to 8.78 and he had a passer rating of 117.8 when not pressured.

A lot of Jones’ trouble came when he took more than three seconds to throw. He was 18-for-20 passing for 197 yards and a touchdown when he got rid of the ball in under three seconds. He was 5-for-9 for 34 yards and an interception when he took longer than three seconds to throw. That was likely part of the game plan with Jones playing behind a banged-up offensive line. It helped keep Jones clean and the offense on schedule.

Brady, in his first 3-4 years, was ridiculed by fans of other teams as a dink and dunk passer. As Jones gets more notice, that stupid shit will happen with him as well. "He's a game manager, not a QB," and "He's just a product of the system," were tags also applied to Brady and probably soon will be to Jones. Who cares what haters think. While they spew judgemental opinions which they pretend are facts, the rest of the world looks at objective data. This is from today's TheAthletic.com:

Mac Jones hasn’t been the flashiest quarterback in the NFL through five weeks, but he’s been arguably the Patriots’ most consistent offensive player. He threw a few passes that could been picked off against the Texans, but otherwise, he played the same steady game he has each week. The most encouraging part of Jones’ game is how he’s improving against the blitz. Teams have been testing Jones with extra rushers since Week 1. In the first three weeks of the season, Jones was the sixth-worst quarterback against the blitz, according to Expected Points Added per dropback. In the last two weeks, Jones is the seventh-best quarterback against the blitz, according to EPA per dropback. He has a 99.5 passer rating against the blitz over the last two weeks, according to TruMedia data. The best way to make teams stop blitzing is to beat the blitz, and Jones is starting to do that.

Jones is also performing well with a clean pocket. He only attempted seven passes while pressured on Sunday, according to Pro Football Focus. One of those resulted in an interception. But when kept clean, Jones completed 19 of his 23 passes. His yards per attempt jumped to 8.78 and he had a passer rating of 117.8 when not pressured.

A lot of Jones’ trouble came when he took more than three seconds to throw. He was 18-for-20 passing for 197 yards and a touchdown when he got rid of the ball in under three seconds. He was 5-for-9 for 34 yards and an interception when he took longer than three seconds to throw. That was likely part of the game plan with Jones playing behind a banged-up offensive line. It helped keep Jones clean and the offense on schedule.
Brady did not have a great arm especially compared to Bledsoe. He developed a much bigger arm as he developed his body and skills.
I believe the same can happen for Mac. Every young Qb has things to work on.

Agreed, hopefully by the time the snow comes, we will have some sort of a running game that can ease up on Mac a little.

Rex has a fantastic Defensive mind, he is not a head coach and yes I agree, Rex's career as a HC was ruined because of the Patriots.

I have always had issue with "Dink N Dunk" passer or "Game Manager". Uh, part of the battle is managing the game clock etc. McD has set Mac up with high percentage passes to help develop him to the speed of the game. It's why anyone who was not named Tom Brady also had success in our system. So if this gets him comfortable with the speed of the NFL and game plan in general I am ok with that. Besides, Tom Brady as a game manager, did pretty well his first 4 seasons. Let the haters hate, they hate us cause they ain't us.

I'll take accuracy over arm strength every day. Jones has nice zip on the ball when he needs too, I have no issues with his arm strength at this point.

Back