Mac Jones Is Our QB1

I gotta say, he really makes some impressive throws. I'd like to see him come away with some clean games with 0 INTs in the upcoming games and I think he can. He was close last week.

PFF grades for the rookie quarterbacks through six weeks:
1. Mac Jones, 79.7
2. Zach Wilson, 59.4
3. Trey Lance, 59.0
4. Trevor Lawrence, 56.8
5. Davis Mills, 56.3
6. Justin Fields, 56.0
Bill really needs to work on our offensive line and do a better job protecting him or he’s going to killed….

Bill really needs to work on our offensive line and do a better job protecting him or he’s going to killed….
It'd be great if we had healthy bodies. Cajuste had no excuse on that whiff, but I am not going to bag on some guys who are obviously hurt. I am just not buying that the same guys as last year (almost) across the board are worse with a far better QB under Center. It just doesn't make sense like the punt blocks. This is an All Pro STs group. The good news is, it can only improve.

It'd be great if we had healthy bodies. Cajuste had no excuse on that whiff, but I am not going to bag on some guys who are obviously hurt. I am just not buying that the same guys as last year (almost) across the board are worse with a far better QB under Center. It just doesn't make sense like the punt blocks. This is an All Pro STs group. The good news is, it can only improve.

Cajuste looked awful on that play, no doubt.

Some guys just can't get out to the edge when they face a really fast guy like Gregory.

It looked to me like Gregory faked an inside move and Yodny bit hard, overset and then he had no chance to get back outside. It was an elite move by Gregory who is a good pass rusher when he isn't suspended. Sure, it sucked that Mac took a beating on that hit, but Cajuste has been getting to the edge pretty well for a "rookie" OT. I don't think people should decide that he's completely useless based on that play, but that was already his rep.

On a related note, while Jones looked to be in pain from that hit, he seems pretty advanced at rolling with the punches much like another guy whose name escapes me. It's another thing Jones does that most rookies don't or can't.

Yet another post showcasing that BB clearly can't draft.

I love these comparisons but he's so far out in front of his rookie class that it's almost meaningless now.
It's time to begin comparing him to the best rookie performances over the last 20-25 years.

Best rookie performances over the last 20 yrs and how Mac compares after 6 games

Peyton Manning - 56%, 26 TDs, 28 ints; Rating 71
Ben - 66% comp rate, 17 TDs 11 ints Rating 98 (on a great team with great support)
Matt Ryan - 61%, 17 TDs, 11 ints Rating 87
Andrew Luck - 54%, 23 TDs, 18 ints (threw a ton of passes) Rating 76
Cam Newton - 60%, 21 TDs, 17 ints; 1st rookie to throw for over 4000 yds; Rating 84
Russell Wilson - 64%, 30 TDs, 10 ints; Rating 100
Dak Prescott - 69%, 29 TDs, 4 ints; Rating 105 (Great OL and receivers in 2014 - #1 ranked OL, Witten, Dez, CBeasley, Terrrance Williams, DeMarco Murray, RB)
DeShaun Watson - 62%, 19 TDs, 8 ints; Rating 103 but only had 200 total attempts. Great receivers, Hopkins et al

Mac Jones - 71%, 7 (16) TDs, 6 (14) ints; Rating 90 ( ) = 16 game projection

Last edited:
Best rookie performances over the last 20 yrs and how Mac compares after 6 games

Peyton Manning - 56%, 26 TDs, 28 ints; Rating 71
Ben - 66% comp rate, 17 TDs 11 ints Rating 98 (on a great team with great support)
Matt Ryan - 61%, 17 TDs, 11 ints Rating 87
Andrew Luck - 54%, 23 TDs, 18 ints (threw a ton of passes) Rating 76
Cam Newton - 60%, 21 TDs, 17 ints; 1st rookie to throw for over 4000 yds; Rating 84
Russell Wilson - 64%, 30 TDs, 10 ints; Rating 100
Dak Prescott - 69%, 29 TDs, 4 ints; Rating
DeShaun Watson - 62%, 19 TDs, 8 ints; Rating 103 but only had 200 total attempts. Great receivers, Hopkins et al

Mac Jones - 71%, 7 (16) TDs, 6 (14) ints; Rating 90 ( ) = 16 game projection

I was the first PP'er to demand we draft Mac.

I have no proof of this, but it is fact and we as a Patriots society will always refer to this as fact.

Make your way and deliver my truth to the people.

I was the first PP'er to demand we draft Mac.

I have no proof of this, but it is fact and we as a Patriots society will always refer to this as fact.

Make your way and deliver my truth to the people.

High Five Group Hug GIF by Hospital Show

4-5 of us, including you, were making a case for Mac Jones early in the period leading up to the draft. You, BSF, Hawg and me were all pushing for BB to draft Mac Jones as the perfect fit for the Pats starting mid-December. Who was first doesn't matter but I can say that, yes, you were among the first. What matters is that we all got it right on draft day.

PICK NO. 15: QB Mac Jones, New England Patriots

Overall Rookie Grade: 79.7 (Rank: 1/6)

Week 6 Grade: 92.5

Jones was very impressive this week against Dallas. He barely missed a throw all game, completing 71.4% of his passes with an 84.2% adjusted completion rate. Unfortunately for him, when he did miss, it ended up in the hands of Trevon Diggs and went back the other way for a touchdown. The Patriots also didn’t exactly lean on their young quarterback and give him a chance to make as many plays as he could have, electing to kneel rather than try to score before the half with 90 seconds on the clock. Jones is accurate and doesn’t miss many throws, but he has been running the training-wheels version of this offense, and they need to come off at some point.

Jones was very impressive this week against Dallas. He barely missed a throw all game, completing 71.4% of his passes with an 84.2% adjusted completion rate. Unfortunately for him, when he did miss, it ended up in the hands of Trevon Diggs and went back the other way for a touchdown. The Patriots also didn’t exactly lean on their young quarterback and give him a chance to make as many plays as he could have, electing to kneel rather than try to score before the half with 90 seconds on the clock. Jones is accurate and doesn’t miss many throws, but he has been running the training-wheels version of this offense, and they need to come off at some point.

I can't believe I'm quoting Herm Edwards here, but You play to win the game, and to paraphrase Jerry Glanville, You know what a prevent [offense] does? It prevents you from winning the game.

I love these comparisons but he's so far out in front of his rookie class that it's almost meaningless now.
It's time to begin comparing him to the best rookie performances over the last 20-25 years.
Those remarkable numbers with his underproducing O-line and constant pressure ? Wait til matures.

I rarely predict, but God I'm optimistic.

Cheers

High Five Group Hug GIF by Hospital Show

4-5 of us, including you, were making a case for Mac Jones early in the period leading up to the draft. You, BSF, Hawg and me were all pushing for BB to draft Mac Jones as the perfect fit for the Pats starting mid-December. Who was first doesn't matter but I can say that, yes, you were among the first. What matters is that we all got it right on draft day.

I know, I was just failing at being funny. ;)

Wait just a minute. I was calling for Mac the Knife in early January. Back then most were saying he was a second rounder, but not I. So unless you had me on ignore, or just ignored me, I was one of the first to say we need to take him in the 1st round. All my mocks on the simulator had the Patriots taking him, even trading up.

Back