Mac Jones Is Our QB1

Want to watch a really good evaluation of Mac?
This guy does it right.
It's been put up before and I'm putting it up again in case you didn't watch it.

FFYui1uWYAEovEV

MJ10 is bad, derivative, and too much of a stretch when Mac10 is just there for the taking.

Which is why Agholor isn't having "drops".

When you go from Carson Wentz to Mac Jones, that's a big improvement. Compare that to Newton last year. Harry was second worst behind Jerry Jeudy last year in terms of being able to receive a catchable ball from Newton/Drew Lock (in Denver for Jeudy).

Holy hell, this is one of the funniest takes I've ever read on Mac, straight off of 2BillsDrive! :ROFLMAO:

Bubba Gump

• Bubba Gump
    Veteran
  • Community Member
Posted 10 hours ago
Mac Jones was drafted at his ceiling. He isn't coachable. He already has good accuracy with a short passing game. He isn't physically mobile (uncoachable) and he has a weak arm (uncoachable). He also is inaccurate throwing down field (which is coachable, but not with a noodle arm). Teams will adjust and he will be a backup for most of his career. How many QBs have the pundits praised in their first year just to watch them fade to rust? Too many to count.

Holy hell, this is one of the funniest takes I've ever read on Mac, straight off of 2BillsDrive! :ROFLMAO:
Wow. I'm perplexed by the bizarre idea that arm strength is a fixed attribute. We should clearly fire all strength and conditioning coaches across the league, then. And certainly there are no obvious examples of an NFL QB developing a stronger arm, especially over the first 3-5 years of his career. I mean, it's a fixed-ish attribute as a range for the most part, but it's not only coachable in terms of technique, it's physically developable outside if that. In Brady's case, I'd say it wasn't until maybe the off-season between 05 and 06 where I really saw the arm strength jump, and it wasn't until after taking the time off for his injury that it was a separating factor.

In terms of physical mobility? Meh. He doesn't rely on it, and it's not a strength, but he has the two most important aspects of it: in-pocket mobility (coachable, and still developing), and adequate straight-line speed. And I'd say the latter is helped by the perception that he doesn't have it - he's made the 6-15 yard scrambles when they were available and the right play. He got some mockery for his not-quite-1st-down scramble on Sunday, but I don't think he thought he got the 1st. I think he thought he was going to get it from a late hit call that he (correctly) didn't get. But he has reasonable foot speed, and as the speed and quality of his diagnostics improves (and almost as importantly, as his assessment of the athleticism of NFL defenders improves) he will be able to deploy it better and better to scramble for 4, 9, or 12 yards here and there. Most importantly, it will be deployed to take advantage of the fact that defenses don't plan for the fact that he can.

People have talked about his ceiling as Kirk Cousins or pre-injury Pennington, or Matt Ryan at the high end. I think Pennington (pre-injury) is probably the best of those, but it's a projection, not a ceiling. To me, his ceiling is Brees, if Brees were a few inches taller. That assumes his arm develops some, his diagnosis and processing continue to improve, and he's dedicated to being the absolute best at what he does - basically everything you'd look for in a standard "ceiling" scenario.

Now, if he continues to have a great organization and great coaching to support him, and happens to have that elusive "clutch" gene on top of all that, his ceiling is GOAT-ish. That's far from a prediction, but he has better tools in pretty much every category (mental and physical) than rookie Brady. If he has that sort of psychological makeup as well, why would his ceiling be anything less? I think he's already shown the borderline psychopathic focus on improvement. Sustaining that through paychecks, failures, and successes is a dramatically different thing, though.

There are so many things that can go wrong, from injury to failures in assessment to psychological hurdles to coaching to gm'ing...even a messy PR problem could derail him. But my prediction, if pushed, is that he finishes his career with 2-3 Lombardis. 1-2 of those will be with him, because he did his job and because (in these next few years) the team leveraged his rookie contract to put an amazing team around him. 1-2 will be significantly because of him, where he is a driver/difference maker.

I'll note that the total number and the early years number are probably lower by one at the high end because of the ridiculous glut of outstanding, young/developing high-end QBs, especially in the AFC. And this is something we should probably talk more about, BTW.

The next several years are going to be the equivalent of if Brees, Rodgers, and Wilson were all in the AFC with Brady/Manning or Brady/Mahomes. I mean, all are flawed, but with Hebert, Mahomes, and Allen it's already tough right now. Throw Jackson in as a wild card that can have a night and just beat you on any given day. Then figure that among Burrow, Carr, Wilson, Lawrence, maybe even Mills or Mayfield in the right situation (and I'll throw Jackson in here as well) chances are that 1-3 of them will likely develop into high-end, dangerous passers. Hell, I'll throw Bridgewater and Wentz in as guys that show signs of being late bloomers and who, at their best if they get serious about study and self-improvement, and have decent situations, are dangerous. And none of that counts Watson coming back, who is potentially (like Hebert and Allen) in both of those first two categories - already outstanding and has significant upside potential that could develop.

It's going to be a tough sled for awhile in the AFC. We're not likely to see many AFC contenders or even playoff teams lead by your Rypiens and your Dilfers for quite some time, and everyone listed above has the talent to give your defense a very bad day on any given night.

We're very fortunate to have a guy who looks like even his worst days don't totally preclude you from winning. Even more so to have one who is clearly so dedicated to improving himself and making the team as good as it can possibly be. I'm pretty sure he's not Jordan, LeBron, or Kobe. He's not Giannis or Durant. He's not one of those guys that is insanely talented and can just throw everything in his shoulders and just will a victory. But he might be Stockton or Chris Paul, or maybe even Bill Russell - someone who is dedicated to excellence, does all the little things well, and makes everyone around him better by both his skillset and by holding everyone accountable to that goal, and is in a position to maximize that sort of leverage. He is a huge step towards the team building goal of "play meaningful games in December every year and out yourself in a position to take your shot." Given what I've seen from him this far (in the NFL and what is known about his history even pre-Bama) I am pretty confident he'll finish the job at least once in his career, and I strongly suspect he'll join the small club of NFL QBs who have started and won multiple rings.

Similar to the Uzi.
Well, yes. There is the potential image problem of being associated with a gun that is (as I understand it) kinda crappy and not exactly known for its accuracy. But MJ10 doesn't flow, and it's just too derivative.

Back