Mac Jones Is Our QB1

Just curious, what is the definition of when the rebuild is complete? 3 straight years of playoffs? SB appearance? SB win?
In my opinion it would be when the team is in consistent position to compete for a Championship year in and out.

In my opinion it would be when the team is in consistent position to compete for a Championship year in and out.
If by compete for a championship, you mean make the playoffs consistently, I agree. That's the best you can hope form. Any Given Day Syndrome has bitten us often enough in the past , but that's the NFL. But you can't compete until you make the dance. I think the Pats will be there. Hell, they are there this year.

If by compete for a championship, you mean make the playoffs consistently, I agree. That's the best you can hope form. Any Given Day Syndrome has bitten us often enough in the past , but that's the NFL. But you can't compete until you make the dance. I think the Pats will be there. Hell, they are there this year.
Agreed, so much goes into actually winning a Super Bowl that at least from my view, the rebuild is done when you are expected to win your division and have the stability of a good QB and coach. The rest are somewhat of moving pieces from year to year.

Not bad for a system QB.

Not bad for a system QB. :coffee:

The

Anyway, so that young Mac Jones needs some arm strength, right...?

And yet some how the media by and large considers that Mac is the only rookie QB that won't get any better, that this is all he is? Hell, even if that was true, can you picture what his stats would be this year if he had Edelman or Gronk in their prime?

And yet some how the media by and large considers that Mac is the only rookie QB that won't get any better, that this is all he is? Hell, even if that was true, can you picture what his stats would be this year if he had Edelman or Gronk in their prime?
If the Jets drafted Jones #2 and we ended up with Wilson @ #15, there would be a different narrative.

But the won't-get-ay-better mediots still baffle me. How can you tell a player won't get better? He's already hit his ceiling????

I can only guess that they are defining "better" as ability to run. Even arm strength, the main media complaint, isn't something you can say, "Nope, he can lift weights and put more mass on his frame but it won't make him stronger."

My guess is that if he were drafted higher they wouldn't be saying this, because every knows how you perform is determined by when you were drafted :coffee:

Or maybe it's because he's a Patriot.

If the Jets drafted Jones #2 and we ended up with Wilson @ #15, there would be a different narrative.

But the won't-get-ay-better mediots still baffle me. How can you tell a player won't get better? He's already hit his ceiling????

I can only guess that they are defining "better" as ability to run. Even arm strength, the main media complaint, isn't something you can say, "Nope, he can lift weights and put more mass on his frame but it won't make him stronger."

My guess is that if he were drafted higher they wouldn't be saying this, because every knows how you perform is determined by when you were drafted :coffee:

Or maybe it's because he's a Patriot.
Maybe, but if we had drafted Wilson we'd be screwed. I don't care how big his arm is or that he can run around. What he can't do is read defenses, follow progressions, and lead a team. Wilson will be a career back up at best.

I see that Ty Law is now agreeing with Rodney that Mac has hit his "rookie wall". I hope they mean just for this season, otherwise, I don't know what they're thinking.

I see that Ty Law is now agreeing with Rodney that Mac has hit his "rookie wall". I hope they mean just for this season, otherwise, I don't know what they're thinking.

Of course he means it's for this season.

Rookies, esp. QBs, can get overwhelmed mentally with the amount of information thrown at them. Then they get overwhelmed by the physical demands
of playing a long season against big boy pros. The mind and body can absorb only so much stress & trauma before shut down begins. Learning becomes harder at the very time rookies need to learn quicker to close the season strong. But that's when rookie QBs begin to struggle even more since teams game plan for him because film is out there. Things that worked earlier aren't working so well 5 games later. What was true is no longer true. Self doubt creeps in. It's difficult to keep focused but easy to get down. He's showing some signs.

I feel badly for Mac but I also realize he's done far better than most have done at keeping true to himself. He'll come back refreshed next year; they all do.

He's not the only one who is drained, though. The entire team, especially the new comers, is showing signs of fatigue, of wanting it to be over.
Imo, these slow starts since the bye week are classic indicators. Their minds and bodies aren't trained to withstand this amount of stress. The Bills are in their 3rd year of training for this grind so they have an advantage. IMHO

2 bye weeks in an 18 week season would help. I'm all for it.

Last edited:
That comp% nosedived the last couple of weeks.

Yeah but he still did very well this year compared to other recent rookie QBs. Mac didn't have the weapons Dak, Herbert or Mayfield had.

FI3sI5eUcAQUxzJ

amount of games is not the only thing that makes a rookie wall. The competition makes it difficult too. These young guys are coming up from college playing the equivalent of a bowl game almost every week without the prep time a bowl gets.
Edit Mac Jones is our qb1

Mac Jones on 3rd and 4th Down

In wins: 48-72 for 66.7%, 541 yards, 6 TD, 0 INT, 7.5 YPA, 116.7 rating

In losses: 42-71 for 59.2%, 462 yards, 2 TD, 7 INT, 6.5 YPA, 46.8 rating

Up to the coaches to determine why and how to fix it. Pressure from pass rush is obvious but what else and how to better scheme hot reads.

Back