Mac Jones Is Our QB1

The point of the article :

Mac Jones was the best rookie QB of the 2021 class by a country mile this year. Jones (3,801 passing yardstick ) is the only one going to the playoffs, and you could see his growth as the season progressed.

Rookie Quarterback Rankings: Steady play wins the race​

Rookie

Of course he means it's for this season.

Rookies, esp. QBs, can get overwhelmed mentally with the amount of information thrown at them. Then they get overwhelmed by the physical demands
of playing a long season against big boy pros. The mind and body can absorb only so much stress & trauma before shut down begins. Learning becomes harder at the very time rookies need to learn quicker to close the season strong. But that's when rookie QBs begin to struggle even more since teams game plan for him because film is out there. Things that worked earlier aren't working so well 5 games later. What was true is no longer true. Self doubt creeps in. It's difficult to keep focused but easy to get down. He's showing some signs.

I feel badly for Mac but I also realize he's done far better than most have done at keeping true to himself. He'll come back refreshed next year; they all do.

He's not the only one who is drained, though. The entire team, especially the new comers, is showing signs of fatigue, of wanting it to be over.
Imo, these slow starts since the bye week are classic indicators. Their minds and bodies aren't trained to withstand this amount of stress. The Bills are in their 3rd year of training for this grind so they have an advantage. IMHO

2 bye weeks in an 18 week season would help. I'm all for it.
bb teams usually come out of byes slow. they'll play shittastic for at least a half, usually. at this point, that part is a bb mystery for him to figure out.

Mac reminds me of Tintin, the cartoon reporter. (Has a dog, Snowy)

What exactly is the “rookie wall”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What exactly is the “rookie wall”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rookies are used to a college season so their strength and stamina are curtailed towards the end of their first year in the NFL due to a more grueling schedule... that's the premise anyway

I've heard some analysts suggest that Mac's recent slump is due to his relative lack of patience with letting a play fully develop and trying to
get the ball out of his hand a little too fast. There are some other issues, but I found this one interesting.

When I watch Jakobi Meyers, the thing I notice is that he's really good at getting himself open, but he needs a little time to string his moves together,
which are pretty complicated. The point being that the longer the play goes the greater the likelihood he's going to get his man off balance
and bust open. He's not a slot guy like Jules was who could make one or two cuts and beat guys with explosive spring out of those cuts.

We know Mac's stats indicate he releases the ball pretty quick and is maybe too reliant on check-downs even when his protection
is there.

If there is anything to this theory, which applies to all the WRs and TEs, then I'm hoping he decides to hang tough until the last split second and
throw it away if nothing is there. There's no reason to hold anything back. Buffalo will be sitting on the in cuts again, so let's force them to think
about the boundary and get them off-balance with different routes than they're used to seeing from us.

If Mac hits on a couple of those early and things could start flowing. If we can't then we'll likely be watching a rerun of the last game with Buffalo
defenders daring us to throw wide and looking to step into the box. We need to spread them out.

Back