Mac Jones Is Our QB1

If every Patriots' performance tonight included the balls, composure, dedication and professionalism displayed by Jones, they likely still wouldn't have won. But, they wouldn't have been embarrassed.
i think harris, stevenson, bourne also had give a damn. a few others too, just not thinking of them all atm.

i think harris, stevenson, bourne also had give a damn. a few others too, just not thinking of them all atm.
I think the offense largely gave it all they had. I didn't intend to disparage the guys you cited. They played hard too. The defense? Not so much. They quit in the first half.

I have opined, much to the dismay of many of you, that it is my belief that Mac has already hit his ceiling and that if he hasn't, he is pretty close to it.

I came across this a bit earlier today and it fits perfectly with my assessment and it just so happens to be from your media.

Andy Dalton 2.0. Give it a listen.

View: https://twitter.com/NBCSPatriots/status/1483109794479325186

I have opined, much to the dismay of many of you, that it is my belief that Mac has already hit his ceiling and that if he hasn't, he is pretty close to it.

I came across this a bit earlier today and it fits perfectly with my assessment and it just so happens to be from your media.

And we have said, some of us, that we disagree. Time will tell. I don't need to read it. One can put in an article stats, facts and opinion, but on any given day in football things can change up or down. Just gonna agree to disagree with you.

Honestly, who cares if he has or almost has reached his ceiling? Maybe he has but as a rookie he was in the upper half of the league in passing. Hell, if he doesn't improve a single bit next season, he is still someone you can absolutely build a team around. 🤷‍♂️

It's not possible for an NFL QB to hit their ceiling of potential after 1 year in the NFL. It's a myth. Maybe there are caps on potential at other positions due to athletic limitations but QB is not one of those.

QBs who achieve their full potential do so through a combination of hard work, commitment, some luck, and executing at a high level in big games. Those who don't work as hard, aren't as committed, suffer bad luck in the form of coaching/injuries, and/or lay eggs in big games, aren't as successful. It's ultimately a position about decision making. Athletic talent adds value but is limited by decision making. If you're looking for a QB, decision making always trumps physical ability, because without the former the latter is irrelevant. The only circumstance in which you could argue a QB might have a ceiling is if they're extremely limited by their height and/or arm strength. Russell Wilson and Drew Brees are good examples that even that may not be the case.

I hate to keep referencing Brady, but everyone would have said the same (that's he's at his ceiling) about him after the 2001 season. He has 2 inches on Mac and that's it. Brady gained lower-body/core strength and by 2003-2004 onward had a live arm, but he didn't in 2001, and physically he mirrored Mac in a lot of ways. Skinny, weak lower body/core, inability to drive the ball at times. Absolutely nothing about Brady suggested he had much more of a ceiling beyond what he showed in 2001, and yet here we are.

If Mac Jones works hard, adds lower-body/core strength, continues to learn/absorb the game, and gets some fortune of good rosters around him, I don't see why he couldn't be a Super Bowl champion some day. His game against Buffalo was his best of the season, IMO. His arm looked really live and he was throwing some ropes 15-20+ yards downfield. I was extremely encouraged by what I saw from him.

Brady didn't achieve his status via physical ability/a high ceiling. He achieved it through incredible consistency, longevity, working to improve weak points in his game, and incremental improvements year after year. He works extremely hard, studies the game, and those accumulations of incremental improvements combined with being on some phenomenal teams, with phenomenal teammates and coaching, has led to what he has become ... not some abstract notion of a "ceiling" (which is, again, basically a myth -- it refers to a hypothetical potentiality that is irrelevant to what actually happens on the field, which is what determines outcome, legacy, and ensuing perception -- not what one's "ceiling" is).

You confuse your "belief" with your HOPE.

Don't you think it is a little too early for you to be in such panic mode?

You didn't REALLY believe you were going to walk through the division for 2 decades without the Patriots rising back up?

You did. Hence the panic.

I am enjoying it.

You seem to be fixated with Mac's potential, but I recall you posting about how QBs develop differently. It seems a bit incongruent with your opinion on Mac.

You seem to be fixated with Mac's potential, but I recall you posting about how QBs develop differently. It seems a bit incongruent with your opinion on Mac.
Nope, not at all. My opinion is pretty much congruent with the fact that all QB's develop differently. I see MJ and don't think he has much upside.

If you watched the video, Albert Breer points out that Mac has been surrounded by elite talent and had the best coaching and infrastructure around him in college that one has to wonder how much more room there is for growth here. IMO, Andy Dalton is the perfect comparable as he never really progressed from his rookie season.

Add to that the fact that many here, though not everyone to be sure, believe MJ is the second coming of TB. That is so far-fetched as to be laughable at this point.

That said, as someone said upthread... time will tell.

Nope, not at all. My opinion is pretty much congruent with the fact that all QB's develop differently. I see MJ and don't think he has much upside.

If you watched the video, Albert Breer points out that Mac has been surrounded by elite talent and had the best coaching and infrastructure around him in college that one has to wonder how much more room there is for growth here. IMO, Andy Dalton is the perfect comparable as he never really progressed from his rookie season.

Add to that the fact that many here, though not everyone to be sure, believe MJ is the second coming of TB. That is so far-fetched as to be laughable at this point.

That said, as someone said upthread... time will tell.

You're entitled to your opinion although at this point it seems a bit too persistent.

Breer can have his opinion and see things one way, same way we can look at the same points he makes and think for that exact reason there is a lot upside. It's not like he's been spoon-fed success. He had to work for it for years as a back up until he got his shot. Then stepped up by shattering records and winning a National title. It wasn't luck.

A player as intelligent as him that can play within himself and processes things at an elite level screams high potential even if the physical tools are not at Josh Allen/Mahomes level. Add to that elite coaching from Belichick and McDaniels and it seems puzzling that some think they won't build on what he's done his rookie year. Even if he were to remain relatively the same physically being able to read defenses and diagnose things pre-snap would make him a top tier QB for that alone.

Also comparing stats with 1st year Brady considering it's the same system (although a more evolved system now) is completely valid. Speaking for myself here, I don't see him as the second coming of Tom Brady. I see him as Mac Jones. Although if he were to pan out that way I'm sure it would be a tough pill to swallow considering how he terrorized the division for 20 years.

If you guys don’t want MJ, we will take him!!!!! Hell, we will even give you Wentz!

Hell….. we will give you Wentz regardless if we get MJ. You might have to fight the McDonalds Franchise for Wentz though. Apparently they’re interested in that bum.

If you guys don’t want MJ, we will take him!!!!! Hell, we will even give you Wentz!

Hell….. we will give you Wentz regardless if we get MJ. You might have to fight the McDonalds Franchise for Wentz though. Apparently they’re interested in that bum.
Ah, no
🤣🤣🤣

Back