Mac Jones Is Our QB1

You're entitled to your opinion although at this point it seems a bit too persistent.
Not sure exactly how to take this. As such I am highlighting it and commenting.

Would you prefer I ball wash MJ like the majority here are or can I have my beliefs and try to make a compelling argument in the dissent? Though you may not agree with them, my responses are thought out.

I will give credit where it is due, I just don't see a whole lot to give credit to, to be honest. And if we're being honest, judging by Belichick's presser, he'd agree with me.

Not sure exactly how to take this. As such I am highlighting it and commenting.

Would you prefer I ball wash MJ like the majority here are or can I have my beliefs and try to make a compelling argument in the dissent? Though you may not agree with them, my responses are thought out.

I will give credit where it is due, I just don't see a whole lot to give credit to, to be honest. And if we're being honest, judging by Belichick's presser, he'd agree with me.

Well, I think you've established your thoughts on Mac Jones on several occasions. That is what I meant by it. Nothing more, nothing less.

It seems as though you're trying to convince us to not be excited about Mac because you think he's Andy Dalton-type player. You're not going to have many people agree with you on that.

Also, you just quoted the first sentence and ignored the rest, which I also feel was a well thought out response.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Nope, not at all. My opinion is pretty much congruent with the fact that all QB's develop differently. I see MJ and don't think he has much upside.

If you watched the video, Albert Breer points out that Mac has been surrounded by elite talent and had the best coaching and infrastructure around him in college that one has to wonder how much more room there is for growth here. IMO, Andy Dalton is the perfect comparable as he never really progressed from his rookie season.

Add to that the fact that many here, though not everyone to be sure, believe MJ is the second coming of TB. That is so far-fetched as to be laughable at this point.

That said, as someone said upthread... time will tell.
I'm begging you. Quote the post. You can't, because it doesn't exist.

If you guys don’t want MJ, we will take him!!!!! Hell, we will even give you Wentz!

Hell….. we will give you Wentz regardless if we get MJ. You might have to fight the McDonalds Franchise for Wentz though. Apparently they’re interested in that bum.
maybe he fits the clown shoes? 😁

Nope, not at all. My opinion is pretty much congruent with the fact that all QB's develop differently. I see MJ and don't think he has much upside.

If you watched the video, Albert Breer points out that Mac has been surrounded by elite talent and had the best coaching and infrastructure around him in college that one has to wonder how much more room there is for growth here. IMO, Andy Dalton is the perfect comparable as he never really progressed from his rookie season.

Add to that the fact that many here, though not everyone to be sure, believe MJ is the second coming of TB. That is so far-fetched as to be laughable at this point.

That said, as someone said upthread... time will tell.

That's a ridiculous point people like you make when you're looking BACK at Brady after 20+ years of play and comparing him to a rookie QB. There is and can be no comparison to be made yet.

That's a ridiculous point people like you make when you're looking BACK at Brady after 20+ years of play and comparing him to a rookie QB. There is and can be no comparison to be made yet.
It's a 'belief' that was shared by absolutely nobody outside the national hot take media. And even that was half-hearted.

Breer can have his opinion and see things one way, same way we can look at the same points he makes and think for that exact reason there is a lot upside. It's not like he's been spoon-fed success. He had to work for it for years as a back up until he got his shot. Then stepped up by shattering records and winning a National title. It wasn't luck.

A player as intelligent as him that can play within himself and processes things at an elite level screams high potential even if the physical tools are not at Josh Allen/Mahomes level. Add to that elite coaching from Belichick and McDaniels and it seems puzzling that some think they won't build on what he's done his rookie year. Even if he were to remain relatively the same physically being able to read defenses and diagnose things pre-snap would make him a top tier QB for that alone.
Sure, okay. I will comment here because you're correct, well thought out.

Can you help a fellow out and maybe explain the point(s) Breer utilized(s) to buttress his position and how they are the exact reasons for your optimism? I guess I don't understand that. TYIA

I can agree that Mac possesses the level of intelligence required to play the QB position, I see the way he plays the game. I guess I question if that is elite level though. Being he just struggled through the last half of the season, I think my skepticism is justified.

As an aside and a bit of a tangent, does his grimacing every time someone pretty much just breathes on him concern you at all?

I have opined, much to the dismay of many of you, that it is my belief that Mac has already hit his ceiling and that if he hasn't, he is pretty close to it.

I came across this a bit earlier today and it fits perfectly with my assessment and it just so happens to be from your media.

Andy Dalton 2.0. Give it a listen.

View: https://twitter.com/NBCSPatriots/status/1483109794479325186

Little Albie is a world-famous Patriot/Belichick hater. His greatest claim to fame was his national story a number of years ago prior to a Texans/Patriots playoff game when the Texans players all wore their Varsity Letterman Jackets on the plane to NE. Little Albie went on the NFL Network and NBC Sports Boston and described that as the coolest thing he'd ever seen since he started covering the NFL Literally everyone on both stations giggled in his face.. Predictably, the Texans got smoked and wore their jackets back on the plane to Houston. Nice try on your part, though. Keep up the good work. Oh, and Albie isn't from "our media." He works for Sports Illustrated. He's sometimes guest on NBCS Boston. That's not "our media."

Last edited:
Sure, okay. I will comment here because you're correct, well thought out.

Can you help a fellow out and maybe explain the point(s) Breer utilized(s) to buttress his position and how they are the exact reasons for your optimism? I guess I don't understand that. TYIA

I can agree that Mac possesses the level of intelligence required to play the QB position, I see the way he plays the game. I guess I question if that is elite level though. Being he just struggled through the last half of the season, I think my skepticism is justified.

As an aside and a bit of a tangent, does his grimacing every time someone pretty much just breathes on him concern you at all?

Breer's points are used as a detriment to be surrounded by talent and excellence. I think if he was a very physically talented yet with questionable work ethic it would work as a good set of points. But Mac wasn't coddled into playing. He wasn't a star true freshman or anything of the sort. He was an afterthought scout QB in a QB rich group yet he fought his way into the starting role and thrived when he got the chance. It's almost as if it's a knock on him to have done everything correctly because of the team around him.

If he had struggled in NE without that star studded talent it would be a fair point, but he did just fine. I wouldn't call the Pats offense stellar by any means (except from the RBs possibly).

His struggles came at the hand of tough defenses, it wasn't against questionable teams. He dismantled any other team. Bills game was a top defense that had a jump on what the Pats wanted to do, and notably Mac really struggled there. No argument. He also struggled against the Colts, but eventually led a comeback that just fell short. Same exact story against a tough Dolphins defense. It wasn't pretty and he made rookie mistakes, but once again, instead of letting that influence his play, he instead pushed the ball and led another comeback that fell short.

In the Wild card, it might be hard to see given the complete utter dominance by the Bills offense, but Mac held his own within the game plan. The offense is not built to win a shootout. That said, he marched the ball several times, although it just lead to 17 points. He could have very easily mailed it in, but instead worked his way to two touchdowns. It's nothing stellar, but it shows that the kid is willing to fight instead of lowering his head and accepting defeat.

As far as him grimacing. I have no issue with it whatsoever considering his first 6 or so starts he was the most blitzed QB and took a pounding. But instead of wilting or getting happy feet, or making dumb decisions, he began to diagnose the blitzes and got rid of the ball quicker to the point that teams began to respect him and played more coverage.

Back