Mac Jones Is Our QB1

To clarify, I should say that the part I am referring to is Mac running the ball lamar jackson, Jose Allen, etc style. that is what I think of as an “RPO QB”. Don’t want him taking those Hits And he isn’t that type of QB

If RPO means Mac has someone else run vs pass then great. When Mac does run am I the only one yelling both “go Mac go” and “get down/out of bounds” at the same time?

RPO = Run, Pass Option

It means the QB chooses based on what he sees at the line and maybe after the snap. It does not mean the QB either runs or throws although he could.

RPO = Run, Pass Option

It means the QB chooses based on what he sees at the line and maybe after the snap. It does not mean the QB either runs or throws although he could.
I know, I know.... but I was taking RPO QB and assuming it as a QB that is likely to run it himself as an option, not just make a play decision/change at the LOS.

TBH - isn't getting to the line of scrimmage and changing the play just an audible? seems like those have been around for a while.

I know, I know.... but I was taking RPO QB and assuming it as a QB that is likely to run it himself as an option, not just make a play decision/change at the LOS.

TBH - isn't getting to the line of scrimmage and changing the play just an audible? seems like those have been around for a while.

Kinda except that RPO is a "play" that can be either based o n the decision. And yes, running QB's are more often associated with RPO offenses.

An audible changes the play before the snap. RPO is after the snap. Lots of ways to run it, but I think the most common is QB runs off to one side toward the LOS with a RB a couple steps behind and further outside. Depending on what the QB sees, he can toss to the RB, keep the ball and run, or keep the ball but pass it. Supposedly Mac was very good at this play at Alabama..

Like Aloyious said, running QBs are used a lot for this. It's like a triple option for those running QBs who can pass decently.

I feel like you might be thinking more 'read option' than RPO, which is in every team's playbook by now.

As far as Jones running some read option from time to time, I think it's kind of a waste for him to not run it occasionally. He does run a 4.7, it's not like he's Brady back there.

I feel like you might be thinking more 'read option' than RPO, which is in every team's playbook by now.

As far as Jones running some read option from time to time, I think it's kind of a waste for him to not run it occasionally. He does run a 4.7, it's not like he's Brady back there.
I'd like to see mac run sparingly but effectively. if it's there, go for it, but limit exposure to hits. his "R"un option is to give it someone else to run 99.8% of the time :coffee:

And he doesn't look particularly "fast", although saying he's faster then Brady is like being the tallest pygmy :)
(that's "pygmy" not Piggie!)

I'd like to see mac run sparingly but effectively. if it's there, go for it, but limit exposure to hits. his "R"un option is to give it someone else to run 99.8% of the time :coffee:

And he doesn't look particularly "fast", although saying he's faster then Brady is like being the tallest pygmy :)
(that's "pygmy" not Piggie!)
Actually, I didn't say he was faster than Brady. I said he was faster than Mahomes and Allen. I never gave numbers, though. Here they are:

Combine numbers
4.68 Mac Jones
4.76 Josh Allen
4.80 Patrick Mahomes

So he is faster than guys who people consider to be running QBs. Not that I want him running, but when he does he is fast. And he was a bit pudgy at the combine. Would love get get his 40 time now. In fairness, Mahomes and Allen are a bit heavier and, especially Allen, are better able to absorb hits. At least until that the one time he doesn't.

On the other hand,
4.33 Michael Vick (combine QB record)

Oh, Tom Brady? Yeah, probably not much faster than you:
5.28 Tom Brady
5.08 Vince Wilfork

5.94 Rich Eisen (running in street clothes)

Actually, I didn't say he was faster than Brady. I said he was faster than Mahomes and Allen. I never gave numbers, though. Here they are:

Combine numbers
4.68 Mac Jones
4.76 Josh Allen
4.80 Patrick Mahomes

So he is faster than guys who people consider to be running QBs. Not that I want him running, but when he does he is fast. And he was a bit pudgy at the combine. Would love get get his 40 time now. In fairness, Mahomes and Allen are a bit heavier and, especially Allen, are better able to absorb hits. At least until that the one time he doesn't.

On the other hand,

5.28 Tom Brady
5.08 Vince Wilfork

The fastest QB never won a Super Bowl, and the slowest has won seven (so far).

So what you're saying here is that speed is negatively correlated with winning Super Bowls.

Good to know - keep an eye out for Tonya Harding at Patriots training camp.

Combine numbers
4.68 Mac Jones
4.76 Josh Allen
4.80 Patrick Mahomes

On the other hand,

5.28 Tom Brady
5.08 Vince Wilfork

The big point - and well said is - "until the one time he doesn't (absorb the hits)"
Mac is deceivingly fast then, 'cause he doesn't seem fast when I'm watching, but this brings up a good point.... when I am watching a game, It always "feels" like our guys are slower and the other team is faster. they may not be, but that might just be my "Boston Sports Fan" negativity that lived thru numerous negatives in the late 1900's (sounds funny to put it that way) that no amount of amazing success in the 2000's can quite remove :)
I'm much easier about a loss by a "home town team" as I've now been blessed to see so much success - still like winning of course - but those of us old enough to remember expected something to go wrong at the worst time.
when Pats got the "tuck rule" in the snowbowl, I turned to my son and told him "we NEVER get those breaks!" he was about 6 months old and didn't appreciate the sentiment at the time! :coffee:

The big point - and well said is - "until the one time he doesn't (absorb the hits)"
Mac is deceivingly fast then, 'cause he doesn't seem fast when I'm watching, but this brings up a good point.... when I am watching a game, It always "feels" like our guys are slower and the other team is faster. they may not be, but that might just be my "Boston Sports Fan" negativity that lived thru numerous negatives in the late 1900's (sounds funny to put it that way) that no amount of amazing success in the 2000's can quite remove :)
I'm much easier about a loss by a "home town team" as I've now been blessed to see so much success - still like winning of course - but those of us old enough to remember expected something to go wrong at the worst time.
when Pats got the "tuck rule" in the snowbowl, I turned to my son and told him "we NEVER get those breaks!" he was about 6 months old and didn't appreciate the sentiment at the time! :coffee:

Nope. Not the Boston in you. The Patriots are slow.

But less slow since the draft and will be more less so when HT and Van Noy are officially gone.

Last edited:
The fastest QB never won a Super Bowl, and the slowest has won seven (so far).

So what you're saying here is that speed is negatively correlated with winning Super Bowls.
I was only reply to someone's comment that Mac was slow. He is, but for QB he's pretty good.

I've never been one of those who bought into the new breed of QB. I remember Mazz blasting BB for drafting a dinosaur that cannot win in today's NFL, but I think speed and running ability in a QB are not traits that significantly increase the odds of winning games or superbowls UNLESS the running ability is accompanied by such superior passing ability that running isn't done frequently,

Reading a defense, accuracy, and throw anticipation are IMO what makes a winning QB. There is the added benefit of absorbing many fewer bone-jarring hits, so IMO drop back passer = more wins per year PLUS more years of playability.

I also make a distinction being running ability (looking for yardage - Lamar Jackson) and elusiveness in the pocket (looking to extend a play) - Aaron Rogers). I'm a huge fan of the latter and think Brady never got the kudos he deserved for this. The only thing he couldn't avoid was pressure up the middle, but I can't think of any QB ever who could. Hard to throw flat-footed with a bunch of 6'7" standing two feet in front of you :)

After spending the entire 2021 season in the top 10, Jones jerseys finish at No. 5 on the league’s top-sellers list:

Back