Mac Jones Is Our QB1

Start at 13:20 and you will hear Lazar's comments on what he thinks BB thinks about Mac Jones. His evaluation of Mac goes til the 27 min mark.
In the end Lazar thinks the play calling and lack of PA was a huge part of Mac's regression but a coach (BB) might see Mac's panic in the pocket and lack of arm strength as actual deal breakers.

The conversation from 29 to 37 is especially illuminating on several topics.

If you noticed, I haven't complained about Mac Jones' lack of arm strength all year. I don't think it's nearly as big an issue as it was.
I mean, compared to Bailey Zappe, he's Dan Marino.

If you noticed, I haven't complained about Mac Jones' lack of arm strength all year. I don't think it's nearly as big an issue as it was.

That podcast is well worth the 20-25 minutes I've outlined above.

Quotes please.
Okay. So I listened to the relevant part. Lazar is saying what he thinks Bill thinks, not what he (Evan) thinks as Chev says above.

Concerning if true. This makes me wonder if Bill really thinks Patricia was/is the problem.

Last edited:

Mac sends an encouraging message via instagram

View: https://twitter.com/DakRandallNESN/status/1615899200209801216?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1615899200209801216%7Ctwgr%5E15cc351322d533a46530ad0bfe4a6ec04ca80600%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fnesn.com%2F2023%2F01%2Ftheres-lot-happening-in-rare-mac-jones-patriots-instagram-post%2F

View: https://twitter.com/ByMarkDaniels/status/1615899843678855169

"IF"

FmzTIBKWAAIbXw-

I wish I felt the same way, but I felt like Jones was all over the map this year in every way. His inconsistency was consistent.

I'm not part of the Jones has a noodle arm crew, yet I believe that I saw him throw quite a few passes that looked, uh, not strong, along with inaccurate, ill-advised and
sometimes even clueless. His mechanics were often poor. Sure, his pct. is still high, but how many of those were two-yard gains to guys closely covered? I think he missed his reads to an alarming
extent, often skipping the open guy for a shorter throw that was covered when both should have been in his field of vision. Decision making was supposed to be one of his best traits, but....not so much this season.

Do I think he threw downfield better? Yes, to a degree, but there wasn't a single other aspect of his game that made me think he's
a better player than what I had seen. He didn't look more experienced or cool under fire. He wasn't great at protecting the ball and that's
what he is supposed to be good at.

His ball-handling looked awful at times and that was something that I thought was a major strength of his in College. He was pretty slick at
Bama. In general, he didn't fool many people in 2022 after it appeared he was going to be a crafty sort of QB. I think he moved more Safeties
and LBs with his eyes in his rookie year, though I can't prove it. Was that Matty's fault, too?

I'm on board for him to be our QB this season, because I acknowledge he was in a bad situation, but I'm not 100% sure the regression apparent
to most football folk is fully explained by the usual excuses, i.e., coaching and the OL.

In any case, he's smart enough to think the whole thing through, recognize where it all started to spin out and, with help, get himself untracked, but
I can't claim that I'm confident that will definitely happen. I have my doubts which I'll attempt to suppress.

What bothers me most about this year was the excitement the players displayed when Mac was pulled for Zappe, which obviously didn't end up working
out. Forget what the fans or the media say-- that is a telltale right there.

I wish I felt the same way, but I felt like Jones was all over the map this year in every way. His inconsistency was consistent.

I'm not part of the Jones has a noodle arm crew, yet I believe that I saw him throw quite a few passes that looked, uh, not strong, along with inaccurate, ill-advised and
sometimes even clueless. His mechanics were often poor. Sure, his pct. is still high, but how many of those were two-yard gains to guys closely covered? I think he missed his reads to an alarming
extent, often skipping the open guy for a shorter throw that was covered when both should have been in his field of vision. Decision making was supposed to be one of his best traits, but....not so much this season.

Do I think he threw downfield better? Yes, to a degree, but there wasn't a single other aspect of his game that made me think he's
a better player than what I had seen. He didn't look more experienced or cool under fire. He wasn't great at protecting the ball and that's
what he is supposed to be good at.

His ball-handling looked awful at times and that was something that I thought was a major strength of his in College. He was pretty slick at
Bama. In general, he didn't fool many people in 2022 after it appeared he was going to be a crafty sort of QB. I think he moved more Safeties
and LBs with his eyes in his rookie year, though I can't prove it. Was that Matty's fault, too?

I'm on board for him to be our QB this season, because I acknowledge he was in a bad situation, but I'm not 100% sure the regression apparent
to most football folk is fully explained by the usual excuses, i.e., coaching and the OL.

In any case, he's smart enough to think the whole thing through, recognize where it all started to spin out and, with help, get himself untracked, but
I can't claim that I'm confident that will definitely happen. I have my doubts which I'll attempt to suppress.

What bothers me most about this year was the excitement the players displayed when Mac was pulled for Zappe, which obviously didn't end up working
out. Forget what the fans or the media say-- that is a telltale right there.

I am fully confident that if Belichick gets appropriate coaching on the offensive side of the ball that Mac Jones will bounce back strongly.

Mac didn't forget how to be a quarterback. He was placed into a ridiculously bad situation that can happen at any profession.

Only time will tell which of us is correct.

A lot of us are in the "prove it" mode. Not just with Mac but also with the offensive coaches and players. There's lots to figure out.
I am not one of them. I watched Jones get frustrated with MP over and over. To many times they got a delay of game because MP didn't get the play called in. Not to mention the number of times he called plays with the wrong personnel on the field. then you have MP benching Bourne fore a good part of the season. Mac was not the problem last season MP and his poor skills at offence were.

I am not one of them. I watched Jones get frustrated with MP over and over. To many times they got a delay of game because MP didn't get the play called in. Not to mention the number of times he called plays with the wrong personnel on the field. then you have MP benching Bourne fore a good part of the season. Mac was not the problem last season MP and his poor skills at offence were.

I also wonder what type of "people skills" Patricia has as well. One of the things that made him a failure at Detroit was how bad he was at communicating with players. Even before he left, there were players openly complaining about him, and then after he left it really became apparent that most of the team hated him.

A lot of us are in the "prove it" mode. Not just with Mac but also with the offensive coaches and players. There's lots to figure out.

Well, after I posted this remark BOB was announced & solves the biggest problem we had on offense.

Well, after I posted this remark BOB was announced & solves the biggest problem we had on offense.
I had wondered about your post. But agree with your overall post.

Last edited:
I'm excited to see Jonnu Smith at H-Back though, if nothing else. But BoB's teams were garbage running the ball (granted they didn't have great talent then either at RB on on the O-line either), so I hope he's able to incorporate their strong running game into a more dynamic and intelligible passing offense.

How about maximizing Mac's game via a quick attack, add Zay Flowers and Shane Vereen types.

People can criticize Mac for many things, but not work ethic. That's for sure.

The kid definitely cares about getting better and about winning. But I worry if he's focusing too much on strength. His game is about fast processing and making the best decision out of 4-5 reads every single snap.

He already worked with Tom House last year, that should have already upped his arm significantly. Being a workout warrior is not going to help Mac. He needs to be a film rat.

It's hard to know what he should focus on since 2022 was such a mess in changing schemes and benching his top2 WR most of the season. I have a hope that Mac will be much better simply because Bill O'Brien is the OC and it will fix a lot of things across QB, playbook, scheme, play-calling, halftime adjustments, and also which players to play more.

The kid definitely cares about getting better and about winning. But I worry if he's focusing too much on strength. His game is about fast processing and making the best decision out of 4-5 reads every single snap.

He already worked with Tom House last year, that should have already upped his arm significantly. Being a workout warrior is not going to help Mac. He needs to be a film rat.

It's hard to know what he should focus on since 2022 was such a mess in changing schemes and benching his top2 WR most of the season. I have a hope that Mac will be much better simply because Bill O'Brien is the OC and it will fix a lot of things across QB, playbook, scheme, play-calling, halftime adjustments, and also which players to play more.

I'm almost certain he will work with Tom House again this off season. Brady worked out to get a stronger arm, Mac will get a stronger arm, too.
BOB will fix the offense, BB will fix the OL. They all know what they need to do and Mac is doing his part until spring practices begin.

Back