Mac Jones Is Our QB1

FnbMWINXoAs7GFD
Welcome to Fight Club. The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: you DO NOT talk about Fight Club!

The kid definitely cares about getting better and about winning. But I worry if he's focusing too much on strength. His game is about fast processing and making the best decision out of 4-5 reads every single snap.

He already worked with Tom House last year, that should have already upped his arm significantly. Being a workout warrior is not going to help Mac. He needs to be a film rat.

It's hard to know what he should focus on since 2022 was such a mess in changing schemes and benching his top2 WR most of the season. I have a hope that Mac will be much better simply because Bill O'Brien is the OC and it will fix a lot of things across QB, playbook, scheme, play-calling, halftime adjustments, and also which players to play more.

To be fair, when his HC (when asked why a hail mary wasn't attempted) publicly says he can't throw a football 55 yards, I'm sure that doesn't sit very well with him.

To be fair, when his HC (when asked why a hail mary wasn't attempted) publicly says he can't throw a football 55 yards, I'm sure that doesn't sit very well with him.
That's fair, but unnecessary. Not much of what DKF made sense. Jones wants to work on strength so according to DKF Jones is concentrating too much. Not sure how that leap was made. Ditto that Jones should be not building strength, but studying reading defenses, as though NFL players can only work on one thing during the off season.

I suspect Jones will work on lower body strength, upperbody strength, accuracy, reading defenses pre-snap and post snap, and watching film, the same with every other QB in the league. It's just that all this is a positive for the QBs of 31 teams but not the Pats. Luckily, according to Drop Kick Brutus, Jones' fault lies neither in his stars or in his self, but in BB.

I think he was hurt that game
Mac was elite on deep throws at Bama

But his game is as a short/medium passer field general who makes the best read quickly. He’s wasting his time working on “strength “

LT Trent Brown to @TMZ_Sports
On Mac Jones: "I love him."

On those who don't believe in Jones: "They don't really matter. Really nobody outside of that building matters."

Then he sent a message to fans. "Stick with us. I don't believe we'll be down too long."

LT Trent Brown to @TMZ_Sports
On Mac Jones: "I love him."

On those who don't believe in Jones: "They don't really matter. Really nobody outside of that building matters."

Then he sent a message to fans. "Stick with us. I don't believe we'll be down too long."
The players, all knew within the first few days of training camp, that a disaster was about to happen. So many folks bitched, and moaned about Mac Jones during the season, and his seemingly low level of maturity, but we didn’t hear it coming from inside the building. The players knew, what they were dealing with, and specifically what Matt Jones was dealing with, and the ridiculousness of it all. He was their leader, and they backed him.

I remember all of the wailing when Matt Jones screamed at Matt Patricia “the short game sucks!!”. Everyone thought he was calling for the long passing game to be called when in fact, he was just stating what was obvious. The short passing game did suck -simple as that.

I’m more looking forward to next season than I was this season. That’s how much I think getting Matt Patricia out and replacing with Bill O’Brien will do for Mac Jones in particular, but the Patriots team as a whole.

Last edited:
Heard Judon on nfl live yesterday expressing similar comments. he did say maybe mac wants to cover his mouth sometimes before he hollers...😄

I have no issue at all as far as having Mac Jones as the QB for the Patriots. He is a good young talent that was unfortunately held back last season by a horrible idea to let Mat Patricia and Joe Judge run the offence. That will not happen this season.

Last edited:

"What does all this have to do with Jones, you ask?

Based on what the analytics community seems to value at the quarterback position -- work from a clean pocket -- there should be hope in New England for the starting quarterback headed into his third season. Jones was the NFL's fifth-highest graded passer in 2022 when kept clean, per PFF, trailing only Joe Burrow, Patrick Mahomes, Jalen Hurts and Trevor Lawrence.

To Frelund's point about the importance of being able to throw deep effectively from a clean pocket, Jones ended up having an impressive year. He had a higher percentage of big-time throws -- which PFF defines as a pass with "excellent ball location and timing, generally thrown farther down the field and/or into a tighter window" -- than any of the other quarterbacks in the top five mentioned above."

"What does all this have to do with Jones, you ask?

Based on what the analytics community seems to value at the quarterback position -- work from a clean pocket -- there should be hope in New England for the starting quarterback headed into his third season. Jones was the NFL's fifth-highest graded passer in 2022 when kept clean, per PFF, trailing only Joe Burrow, Patrick Mahomes, Jalen Hurts and Trevor Lawrence.

To Frelund's point about the importance of being able to throw deep effectively from a clean pocket, Jones ended up having an impressive year. He had a higher percentage of big-time throws -- which PFF defines as a pass with "excellent ball location and timing, generally thrown farther down the field and/or into a tighter window" -- than any of the other quarterbacks in the top five mentioned above."

And that is with his WRs and TEs running into each other!

Back