Mail In Voting

johnlocke

Reaction score

johnlocke

Reaction score
Each person has one job- convince 10 people to go vote and vote Trump.

I don't think we need to. But I think I actually got one.

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Apparently the codes for Republican or Democrat are on the "Outside" of the ballots.

Yeah, nothing to see here.

Just say no.

HSanders

omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
Reaction score
Is that a reportable offense? I'd block their number if it were me.
I would actually like to check that # to see what it links to. My guess is it is like most fraud. You call it and it says "non working #". And with the way technology works, I feel like if I block it, that will send them something confirming that my # is legit.

It is curious because I don’t think HS is a FL resident yet it’s the end of the link.

You're right, I live in OH. I bet they'd send me one anyway! ROFL

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Oh a guy at work told me something I never knew. If you want to skip over an issue or person, fill in all the circles, do not leave it blank. If you leave it blank, someone else can fill it in for you. If you fill in all the circles, they can't. And the vote will be counted differently I believe he said.

shecolt

Reaction score
I would think the XIIth Amendmentand XXth Amendment would be invoked.

XIIth Amendment

The Electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as President, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as Vice-President, and they shall make distinct lists of all persons voted for as President, and of all persons voted for as Vice-President, and of the number of votes for each, which lists they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the seat of the government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate;

The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted; -- The person having the greatest number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President.

But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice.

And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.

The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.​

Paragraph breaks inserted for clarity.

XXth Amendment
Section 1.
The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.

Section 2.
The Congress shall assemble at least once in every year, and such meeting shall begin at noon on the 3d day of January, unless they shall by law appoint a different day.

Section 3.
If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President. If a President shall not have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified; and the Congress may by law provide for the case wherein neither a President elect nor a Vice President elect shall have qualified, declaring who shall then act as President, or the manner in which one who is to act shall be selected, and such person shall act accordingly until a President or Vice President shall have qualified.

Section 4.
The Congress may by law provide for the case of the death of any of the persons from whom the House of Representatives may choose a President whenever the right of choice shall have devolved upon them, and for the case of the death of any of the persons from whom the Senate may choose a Vice President whenever the right of choice shall have devolved upon them.

Section 5.
Sections 1 and 2 shall take effect on the 15th day of October following the ratification of this article.

Section 6.
This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several states within seven years from the date of its submission.​

Now Based on the dates any voting by Congress would be the Congress determined by the upcoming election, not the present one.

So if everything is totally FUBARed in January, presumably the Senate would vote to elect a Vice President who would serve as POTUS until the House voted to elect a POTUS.

Presumably, the way the House members from each State determine who their State casts it single vote, is for all the members of that States Delegation to vote.

So simply because one Party has the majority in the House, that does not necessarily mean it would have the majority of votes for this matter.

One would have to look at the distribution of how many members of each Party were in any given State.

Thank you so much for your very thorough answer to my question. While 9/10th's of that went way over my head, it pretty much answered my underlying question which was . . . would Nancy Pelosi serve as POTUS should she remain Speaker of the House.

I'm happy to know that wouldn't necessarily be the case because she drives me nutz. However, I do have to give her credit for knowing how to really rock a gaiter. I think she must have had one made to match every outfit in her extensive wardrobe.

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score
Which rich Jesuit pedo will you be voting for this year? ...

Voting doesn't mean jack shit...

OP
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/an...d-was-revealing-and-chilling-ny-post-reporter

Anonymous Democrat operative's account of how election fraud is allegedly committed was 'revealing' and 'chilling': NY Post reporter

'There are some very, very easy ways' to make mail-in voting 'a lot safer,' reporter says

Talia Kaplan3 hours ago
Political insider explains voter fraud with mail-in ballotsVideo
An anonymous Democratic operative’s account of how election fraud is allegedly committed was “revealing” and “chilling,” the New York Post reporter who interviewed him told “Fox & Friends” on Tuesday.

“Confessions of a voter fraud: I was a master at fixing mail-in ballots,” was published in The New York Post on Saturday and was written by Jon Levine, who interviewed the top Democratic operative and wrote “voter fraud, especially with mail-in ballots, is no myth.”

Levine added that the operative “knows this because he’s been doing it, on a grand scale, for decades.”

Mail-in ballots have become a point of contention between Republicans and Democrats in the 2020 elections.

Democrats contend President Trump and new Postmaster General Louis DeJoy are trying to sabotage the 2020 election by delaying service that could compromise mail-in ballots during the coronavirus pandemic.

Republicans dismissed the Democrats' election concerns as a conspiracy theory. President Trump has railed against mail-in voting over fraud concerns as more states seek to increase it during the pandemic.

Levine told “Fox & Friends” that the political insider, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he fears prosecution, came to The New York Post and presented evidence. Levine called him “a very serious guy in New Jersey” who “has a very long track record with some of the biggest politicians in that state.”

“Once he started talking and once it came from the horse's mouth, it was both … revealing, but also chilling,” Levine said.

The Democratic operative “said fraud is more the rule than the exception,” Levine wrote in the piece.

Rep. Devin Nunes: 'Shameful' that Democrats brought House back to vote on USPS conspiracy theoryVideo
REP. KEN BUCK RESPONDS TO DEMOCRATS $25 BILLION POST OFFICE BAILOUT VOTE: 'POSTAL SERVICE HAS BEEN BLEEDING MONEY FOR 40 YEARS'

“His dirty work has taken him through the weeds of municipal and federal elections in Paterson, Atlantic City, Camden, Newark, Hoboken and Hudson County and his fingerprints can be found in local legislative, mayoral and congressional races across the Garden State,” The Post article said. “Some of the biggest names and highest office holders in New Jersey have benefited from his tricks, according to campaign records The Post reviewed.”

Levine went on to write that “The whisteblower — whose identity, rap sheet and long history working as a consultant to various campaigns were confirmed by The Post — says he not only changed ballots himself over the years, but led teams of fraudsters and mentored at least 20 operatives in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania — a critical 2020 swing state.”

Levine told “Fox & Friends” on Tuesday that what the operative would say is the “voter is mailed the ballot and then once the ballots go out, they just fan out and they knock on doors and they convince people to hand over completed ballots.”

“He says a shocking number of people will just hand over completed ballots,” Levine added.

“This is a real thing,” the tipster said, according to the New York Post. “And there is going to be a f–king war coming November 3rd over this stuff … If they knew how the sausage was made, they could fix it.”

Mike Huckabee dismisses USPS concerns as 'diversionary tactic' by DemocratsVideo
Host Brian Kilmeade pointed to another part of the article where the anonymous source explained that voter fraud is also connected to nursing homes, where the nurses are allegedly "paid operatives: and fill out absentee ballots for the seniors."

“This has been called ‘granny harvesting’ in the past,” Levine said. “They don't even have to steam it open because the nurse is on the payroll and then they just go and the nurse gives a stack of ballots, it’s like, ‘Hello, we’re going to do the ballot together’ and then it's both fraud and it's elder abuse frankly.”

The piece noted that according to the operative, “sometimes postal employees are in on the scam.”

The operative reportedly told The Post, “You have a postman who is a rabid anti-Trump guy and he’s working in Bedminster or some Republican stronghold … He can take those [filled-out] ballots, and knowing 95% are going to a Republican, he can just throw those in the garbage.”

Kilmeade asked Levine on Tuesday, “When you were done with the interview, when you wrote the story, what did you walk away with?”

“The takeaway for me and his [the operative’s] takeaway, too is … the answer here is not to abolish mail-in voting, but that there are some very, very easy ways to just make it a lot safer,” Levine said in response. “Things like having a watermark or bar code.

“He was saying treat a ballot with the same security you treat the money,” Levine continued. “I could never take a $20 bill, put it into a copy machine and come out with a new $20 bill that I could just go spend at the store because that's a one-way ticket to jail.”

Levine stressed that a ballot should be treated the same way and should include security features.

Rep Doug Collins on the House passing $25 billion USPS bailout billVideo
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Levine also said “voter education” is important.

“Don't hand your ballot to a random person that knocks at your door saying he will deliver it for you. Do it yourself,” he explained.

Fox News’ Marisa Schultz and Brie Stimson contributed to this report.

OP
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
https://www.foxnews.com/media/barr-chuckles-wolf-blitzer-cnn-fair-balanced

Barr chuckles after Wolf Blitzer insists CNN is 'fair and balanced' during interview

AG, veteran broadcaster spar over media bias, mail-in voting

2 hours ago
AG Barr: Media does not have a license to lieVideo
AG Barr: Media does not have a license to lie

Barr responds to CNN's Wolf Blitzer on whether he would serve under President Trump in a second term, and the difference between the Trump presidency and George H.W. Bush's presidency.
Attorney General William Barr did not appear to buy Wolf Blitzer's claim Wendesday that CNN is "fair and balanced."

At the end of a lengthy, contentious interview, the "Situation Room" host asked if Barr would return for President Trump's second term if the incumbent wins reelection, a question Barr thought was "presumptuous" for him to answer.

"Are you enjoying what you're doing?" Blitzer followed up.

"I wouldn't use the word 'enjoy,' but it's satisfying," Barr responded with a grin.

CNN'S DON LEMON CALLS TRUMP A 'BIGOT,' 'RACIST': 'THOSE AREN'T OPINIONS, THOSE ARE FACTS'

Blitzer then asked Barr if he "enjoyed it more the first time around" as attorney general under George H.W. Bush.

"Well, the political climate and the media was a lot different," Barr said.

"And you had a different president, George H.W. Bush," Blitzer jumped in.

"Yeah, but the media should be fair and balanced no matter who the president is," Barr retorted. "[It] doesn't give the media license to lie the way a lot of the media is."

"I can speak for us, we are fair and balanced," Blitzer said in defense of his network.

"OK," the attorney general reacted with a chuckle.

Earlier in the interview, Barr and Blitzer had a combative exchange on the subject of mail-in voting, with the CNN anchor suggesting the president was fueling fears of voter fraud.

"Wolf, this is, you know, sort of cheap talk to get around the problem," Barr said, "which is a bipartisan commission chaired by Jimmy Carter and James Baker said back in 2009 that ... mail-in voting is fraught with the risk of fraud and coercion."

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

Blitzer attempted to interject but was shut down by Barr, who told the anchor, "Let me talk."

"Since that time, there have been -- in the newspapers, in networks, academic studies -- saying it is open to fraud and coercion. The only time the narrative changed is after this administration came in."

Coltsfan2theend

Semi Pro Sharp Shooter in Training
Reaction score
Did CNN put the "breaking news" banner underneath when this happeneD? I work at a tv station and at my previous station CNN was a joke because they always had "Breaking news" up even if it was days old.

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
https://www.foxnews.com/media/barr-chuckles-wolf-blitzer-cnn-fair-balanced

Barr chuckles after Wolf Blitzer insists CNN is 'fair and balanced' during interview

AG, veteran broadcaster spar over media bias, mail-in voting

2 hours ago
AG Barr: Media does not have a license to lieVideo
AG Barr: Media does not have a license to lie

Barr responds to CNN's Wolf Blitzer on whether he would serve under President Trump in a second term, and the difference between the Trump presidency and George H.W. Bush's presidency.
Attorney General William Barr did not appear to buy Wolf Blitzer's claim Wendesday that CNN is "fair and balanced."

At the end of a lengthy, contentious interview, the "Situation Room" host asked if Barr would return for President Trump's second term if the incumbent wins reelection, a question Barr thought was "presumptuous" for him to answer.

"Are you enjoying what you're doing?" Blitzer followed up.

"I wouldn't use the word 'enjoy,' but it's satisfying," Barr responded with a grin.

CNN'S DON LEMON CALLS TRUMP A 'BIGOT,' 'RACIST': 'THOSE AREN'T OPINIONS, THOSE ARE FACTS'

Blitzer then asked Barr if he "enjoyed it more the first time around" as attorney general under George H.W. Bush.

"Well, the political climate and the media was a lot different," Barr said.

"And you had a different president, George H.W. Bush," Blitzer jumped in.

"Yeah, but the media should be fair and balanced no matter who the president is," Barr retorted. "[It] doesn't give the media license to lie the way a lot of the media is."

"I can speak for us, we are fair and balanced," Blitzer said in defense of his network.

"OK," the attorney general reacted with a chuckle.

Earlier in the interview, Barr and Blitzer had a combative exchange on the subject of mail-in voting, with the CNN anchor suggesting the president was fueling fears of voter fraud.

"Wolf, this is, you know, sort of cheap talk to get around the problem," Barr said, "which is a bipartisan commission chaired by Jimmy Carter and James Baker said back in 2009 that ... mail-in voting is fraught with the risk of fraud and coercion."

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

Blitzer attempted to interject but was shut down by Barr, who told the anchor, "Let me talk."

"Since that time, there have been -- in the newspapers, in networks, academic studies -- saying it is open to fraud and coercion. The only time the narrative changed is after this administration came in."

For the record, the report of that commission is here. and here's what it says about mail in voting.

VOTE BY MAIL

A growing number of Americans vote by mail. Oregon moved entirely to a vote-by-mail system in 1998 and the practice of casting ballots by mail has continued to expand nationwide as voters and election officials seek alternatives to the traditional system of voting at polling stations. The state legislatures of California and of Washington state have considered legislation to expand the use of vote by mail and in 24 states no excuse is required to vote absentee.

The impact of vote by mail is mixed. Proponents argue that vote by mail facilitates participation among groups that experience low voter turnout such as elderly Americans and Native Americans.

While vote by mail appears to increase turnout for local elections there is no evidence that it significantly expands participation in federal elections. Moreover, it raises concerns about privacy as citizens voting at home may come under pressure to vote for certain candidates and it increases the risk of fraud. Oregon appears to have avoided significant fraud in its vote-by-mail elections by introducing safeguards to protect ballot integrity including signature verification. Vote by mail is however likely to increase the risks of fraud and of contested elections in other states where the population is more mobile where there is some history of troubled elections or where the safeguards for ballot integrity are weaker.

The case of King County Washington is instructive. In the 2004 gubernatorial elections, when two in three ballots there were cast by mail, authorities lacked an effective system to track the number of ballots sent or returned. As a result, King County election officials were unable to account for all absentee ballots. Moreover, a number of provisional ballots were accepted without signature verification. The failures to account for all absentee ballots and to verify signatures on provisional ballots became issues in the protracted litigation that followed Washington state’s 2004 gubernatorial election.

Vote by mail is popular but not a panacea for declining participation. While there is little evidence of fraud in Oregon where the entire state votes by mail absentee balloting in other states has been one of the major sources of fraud. Even in Oregon better precautions are needed to ensure that the return of ballots is not intercepted.

The evidence on early voting is similar to that of vote by mail. People like it but it does not appear to increase voter participation and there are some drawbacks. It allows a significant portion of voters to cast their ballot before they have all of the information that will become available to the rest of the electorate. Crucial information about candidates may emerge in the final weeks or even days of an election campaign. Early and convenience voting also detracts from the collective expression of citizenship that takes place on Election Day. Moreover, the cost of administering elections and of running campaigns tends to increase when early and mail-in voting is conducted in addition to balloting on Election Day. Early voting should commence no earlier than 15 days prior to the election so that all voters will cast their ballots on the basis of largely comparable information about the candidates and the issues.

Recommendation on Vote by Mail

4.2.1 The Commission encourages further research on the pros and coral of vote by Mail and of early voting.

The first bit in blue is the key.

States are going to roll out hastily developed vote by mail procedures and two things are absolutely certain to happen.

1. Someone will claim that whatever "safeguards" are adopted to ensure that the ballot is actually an accurate representation of what the voter wanted (e.g., signature verification) will be an effort to "suppress the vote"
  2. #1 and any other item that they can come up with will be the basis for litigation to challenge the validity of the results.

Now to be clear, I expect both sides to do this, but the Dems and GOP will raise these claims in different States.

This should be an epic shit storm.

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
Then there's this

Exclusive: Dem group warns of apparent Trump Election Day landslide

A top Democratic data and analytics firm told "Axios on HBO" it's highly likely that President Trump will appear to have won — potentially in a landslide — on election night, even if he ultimately loses when all the votes are counted.

Why this matters: Way more Democrats will vote by mail than Republicans, due to fears of the coronavirus, and it will take days if not weeks to tally these. This means Trump, thanks to Republicans doing almost all of their voting in person, could hold big electoral college and popular vote leads on election night.

• Imagine America, with its polarization and misinformation, if the vote tally swings wildly toward Joe Biden and Trump loses days later as the mail ballots are counted.
  • That is what this group, Hawkfish, which is funded by Michael Bloomberg and also does work for the Democratic National Committee and pro-Biden Super PACs, is warning is a very real, if not foreordained, outcome.

What they're saying: Hawkfish CEO Josh Mendelsohn calls the scenario a "red mirage."

• "We are sounding an alarm and saying that this is a very real possibility, that the data is going to show on election night an incredible victory for Donald Trump," he said.
  • "When every legitimate vote is tallied and we get to that final day, which will be some day after Election Day, it will in fact show that what happened on election night was exactly that, a mirage," Mendelsohn said. "It looked like Donald Trump was in the lead and he fundamentally was not when every ballot gets counted."

By the numbers: Under one of the group's modeling scenarios, Trump could hold a projected lead of 408-130 electoral votes on election night, if only 15% of the vote by mail (VBM) ballots had been counted.

• Once 75% of mail ballots were counted, perhaps four days later, the lead could flip to Biden's favor.
  • This particular modeling scenario portrays Biden as ultimately winning a massive victory, 334-204.
  • The methodology, described in detail below, was based in part on polling from FiveThirtyEight in August.
  • The ultimate results may well sit somewhere between these low-end and high-end scenarios and will also be impacted by who actually votes, and how voters' views about their options change over the coming weeks.

I love the bit in bold.

Just what is the basis for that claim?

OP
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
Lol!!!!! He certainly knows how to kick the hornets nest! They’re losing their minds over this:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/trumps-vote-twice-comments-outrage-media-which-amplify-his-message

Trump’s vote-twice comments outrage media, which amplify his message

Howard Kurtz5 hours ago
Trump focuses on law and order, manufacturing in battleground statesVideo
So why did the president of the United States do it?

Why did Donald Trump, in broad daylight, with cameras rolling, suggest that the good people of North Carolina vote twice?

He knew full well that this would cause a media freakout, that journalists and pundits would rise up in unison and denounce him for promoting such a blatantly illegal act.

And that was precisely the point.

CAMPAIGN FLASHPOINT: WHY URBAN VIOLENCE IS MORE THAN A DEMOCRATIC MESS

Had Trump merely issued his 130th warning about mail ballot fraud, it wouldn’t have made much news, maybe one paragraph in a story. But he knows from long experience that when he crosses the line, goes over the top, the resulting furor can last several days, even a week, getting the media and political world chattering about the very issue he wants to spotlight.

If he takes heat, if he has to backtrack, so be it. That still means lots of cable segments and front-page stories about the possibility of mail fraud as opposed to, say, a thousand Americans dying each day from Covid-19.

Now I’m not defending the outrageous suggestion that Americans somehow test the system by voting twice. (Or why stop there, maybe five times.) I just don’t think Trump is serious. He has a well established pattern of saying questionable things to push a broader narrative, in some cases admitting privately he’s changing the subject from some other controversy. He is trolling the press.

Here are the president’s exact words to Jon Evans of North Carolina’s WECT:

“Well they'll go out and they'll vote, and they're going to have to go and check their vote by going to the poll and voting that way, because if it tabulates, then they won't be able to do that. So, let them send it in and let them go vote, and if the system is as good as they say it is, obviously they won't be able to vote. If it isn't tabulated, they'll be able to vote so that's the way it is. And that's what they should do.”

He repeated a similar message last night in Pennsylvania.

SUBSCRIBE TO HOWIE'S MEDIA BUZZMETER PODCAST, A RIFF OF THE DAY'S HOTTEST STORIES

I haven’t found anyone, including on Fox News, defending this maneuver. In fact, when Sandra Smith pressed Kayleigh McEnany on why Trump made the comments, the press secretary said he wasn’t suggesting people do anything illegal but to make sure their mail ballot was tabulated--and if not, go vote. “He wants verification,” she said.

The second round, as these things spread across the cableverse, was when Bill Barr appeared on CNN.

When Wolf Blitzer said it sounds like “Trump is encouraging people to break the law and try to vote twice,” the attorney general replied: “Well, I don’t know exactly what he was saying, but it seems to me what he’s saying is he’s trying to make the point that the ability to monitor this system is not good.”

When Wolf pressed again, Barr said he didn’t know the law in that particular state, but that the whole mail-ballot system is like “playing with fire.”

That formulation--that Barr doesn’t know the specifics but here’s why Trump is right on the larger point--is one the AG used more than once in the CNN interview. (He said Trump was speaking “colloquially,” not using a legal term, when he accused Barack Obama and Joe Biden of “treason.”)

This touched off a fresh wave of attacks on Barr by pundits on CNN and MSNBC, giving the story legs.

Trump knows how to push the media’s buttons. In a memo leaked to the New York Post, he ordered federal agencies to look into cutting off funding to such cities as New York, Washington, Portland and Seattle that “allow themselves to deteriorate into lawless zones.” This brought an unusually harsh counterattack from Andrew Cuomo, who said Trump would need an “army” to protect him if he were to walk down New York City streets.

Now I don’t believe the feds will end up terminating this aid, any more than the administration slashed aid to schools that don’t physically reopen, as Trump threatened earlier. But it’s another way for him to appear strong by vowing to retaliate against those grappling with urban violence.

In the meantime, anyone who follows the Trump suggestion about voting more than once does so at his or her own risk.

AnOldTroll

Reaction score
I just got a reminder from FB when I logged in:

All active registered voters in California will be mailed a ballot automatically. Make sure your registration is up to date now. Ballots will start to be mailed out by Oct 5.

Been at this address since 1995. Still get mail for previous resident (s). I will wait and see what comes.

OP
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
Perfectly legit

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Why this isn’t being squashed at the Supreme Court baffles me

OP
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
https://justthenews.com/politics-po...al-immigrants-are-registered-vote-ny-election

Some non-citizens and illegal immigrants are registered to vote in N.Y., election officials say

Todd Valentine, New York Board of Elections co-executive director, and Nick LaLota, Suffolk County elections commissioner, said some non-citizens and illegal immigrants incorrectly get registered to vote in the state of New York.

New York Republican Rep. Lee Zeldin said he's aware of some non-citizens in Suffolk County who voted in previous elections. During a mail-in voting discussion organized by House Administration Committee ranking member Rodney Davis, Zeldin asked how to prevent this situation from happening.

"We don't have the proper amount of rules and laws and regulations to fetter out that sort of nefarious activity," LaLota said.

LaLota explained that undocumented immigrants are able to apply for driver's licenses in the state, which makes it easier for them to mistakenly become registered eligible voters.

"The state automatically registers them to vote unless they check a small box saying that no, they don't want to get registered to vote," LaLota said. "I would presume some of that happens intentionally, probably a larger amount happens unintentionally, but whatever the case is, the end result is a large amount of folks who are not in our country legally getting put on the rolls."

According to the New York DMV website, "the DMV does not approve or deny voter registration applications," but they "send the application to the County or City Board of Elections for their review."

LaLota said his ability to find and remove non-citizens from voter files on the county level was constrained. "I don't have any tools," he said. "I'm not allowed to, as an elections commissioner, ask anybody from the U.S. Department of State or anybody else, who has citizenship, who has a Social Security number or anything else, so I have no tools here, congressman."

Todd Valentine, New York Board of Elections co-executive director, said some non-citizens get incorrectly registered at the DMV due to the automatic voter registration system.

"If any voter comes in and checks that they are not a citizen, they don't get to the voter registration application," Valentine said.

"If they don't check the box, and say they are a citizen," he added, "it is going to go through and get that [voter] application and just as you pointed out, it's very difficult in the back end because there is no list of citizens that's ever been given to any state or county across the entire country."

Valentine said some states have asked the federal government for a list of citizens to help them locate ineligible registered voters, such as non-citizens, but they have been denied.

"Right now, we're reliant solely upon the voter to check the appropriate box on the application that yes, I am a citizen, and if they don't check the box — 'Hey, you forgot' — it's an incomplete application — that's the one good thing DMV does," he said.

Valentine explained that the current system relies on the honesty of non-citizens and illegal immigrants to indicate that they aren't citizens during the voter registration process at the DMV.

"It's very difficult, if there's no other way to validate that in any manner," he said.

In response to the statements from election officials, Zeldin said he wants every eligible voter to vote, but ineligible individuals should not be voting.