Malcolm Butler Signed, Returning to Patriots for 2 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropKickFlutie

Reaction score
Malcolm Butler back on the Patriots. 2 year deal. This is why you never burn bridges. We'll see what he can still do and how much athleticism is left. He might be an okay role player and he certainly knows the system.

Will always love Malcolm Butler for the most miraculous play in Superbowl history. The Patriots do not have a ring without his incredible INT at the goal line.

Apologies to the mods if this should be merged into the excellent off-season thread. Felt it warranted its own thread discussion.

View: https://youtu.be/U7rPIg7ZNQ8

I'm fine with it. Now a good corner to come from the draft and we might be in business.

While he is no JC Jackson, at least he's not going to shy away from tackles like JC did every now and then.

Malcolm Butler back on the Patriots. 2 year deal. This is why you never burn bridges. We'll see what he can still do and how much athleticism is left. He might be an okay role player and he certainly knows the system.

Will always love Malcolm Butler for the most miraculous play in Superbowl history. The Patriots do not have a ring without his incredible INT at the goal line.

Apologies to the mods if this should be merged into the excellent off-season thread. Felt it warranted its own thread discussion.

1000 replays later, I still haven't viewed it enuff.

Cheers, :toast:

I have 0 expectations. I'm just happy that they were able to put whatever it was behind them.
It obviously rewrites the historical narrative. And I don't see how that's anything other than good news.

Cheers

I have 0 expectations. I'm just happy that they were able to put whatever it was behind them.
Same. He's depth, if nothing else. But the idea of having Mills and a guy coming out of retirement out on the field at the same time makes me wants to puke.

Saw this on Facebook:

In the 2020 season, Butler played 1,150 snaps. 3rd most in the league. Among all corners that played at least 50% of their team snaps, here's where he ranked on PFF and other statistics (out of 71 corners):
Overall PFF grade: 13th
Coverage PFF grade: 13th
Zone coverage PFF grade: 8th
Man coverage PFF grade: 17th
Pass breakups: T-8th
Interceptions: T-3rd

For comparison, here's where JC Jackson ranked that year:
Overall PFF grade: 20th
Coverage PFF grade: 23rd
Zone coverage PFF grade: 11th
Man coverage PFF grade: 42nd
Pass breakups: 41st
Interceptions: 2nd

Butler wasn't terrible back in 2020... I like the signing, honestly.

If we can have a thread about the baby beater on another team, we can have one about the return of "The Butler did it".
We should have one for all the Patriots signings or re-signing.

Same. He's depth, if nothing else. But the idea of having Mills and a guy coming out of retirement out on the field at the same time makes me wants to puke.

He's good depth but he could be CB3. Or possibly CB2. Now, when does TC start again?

Saw this on Facebook:

In the 2020 season, Butler played 1,150 snaps. 3rd most in the league. Among all corners that played at least 50% of their team snaps, here's where he ranked on PFF and other statistics (out of 71 corners):
Overall PFF grade: 13th
Coverage PFF grade: 13th
Zone coverage PFF grade: 8th
Man coverage PFF grade: 17th
Pass breakups: T-8th
Interceptions: T-3rd

For comparison, here's where JC Jackson ranked that year:
Overall PFF grade: 20th
Coverage PFF grade: 23rd
Zone coverage PFF grade: 11th
Man coverage PFF grade: 42nd
Pass breakups: 41st
Interceptions: 2nd

Butler wasn't terrible back in 2020... I like the signing, honestly.

Hey there don't get me too excited.
But great info thanks for sharing, brother !

Dude was crying on the sideline during the National anthem.

There were some awful calls by the refs, but if he’d played that’s another super bowl win for NE. His absence forced the whole secondary, and chung in particular to step up in different roles.
If what he did was bad enough to get legitimately benched in the most important game of the year, one of the 5 most important games in the past 15 years, then why the heck is he being brought back?
And why even have him dressed for the game in the first place?
And why not get him in the game when Nick Fowls is in the process of hanging 35 or something close to that on your defense?

Dude was crying on the sideline during the National anthem.

There were some awful calls by the refs, but if he’d played that’s another super bowl win for NE. His absence forced the whole secondary, and chung in particular to step up in different roles.
If what he did was bad enough to get legitimately benched in the most important game of the year, one of the 5 most important games in the past 15 years, then why the heck is he being brought back?
And why even have him dressed for the game in the first place?
And why not get him in the game when Nick Fowls is in the process of hanging 35 or something close to that on your defense?
Hmmm...something new...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back