McCourty back

I'm glad he's back. He still runs well enough and if he has lost a step his smarts more than make up for it. He and Phillips make a great tandem of safeties.
We have no one who can replace him on the field or in his leadership/culture role.
This team is getting younger and needs the leadership he and Slater provide right now.

Besides, Devin outplayed a lot of safeties last year who make a ton more than he does.
Tyrann Mathieu for 1 and Budda Baker, Nasir Adderly and Jimmy Ward to name a few others. As much acclaim as Buffalo's Jordan Poyer got last year, Devin was within a few percentage points in PFF's rankings.

Devin's cap hit this year is only $6.45M because 2022 was supposed to be a void year. Cap magic by the Patriots.

Leave our Safeties alone. We have plenty of needs on D but S isn't one of them.

Last edited:
I'm glad he's back. He still runs well enough and if he has lost a step his smarts more than make up for it. He and Phillips make a great tandem of safeties.
We have no one who can replace him on the field or in his leadership/culture role.
This team is getting younger and needs the leadership he and Slater provide right now.

Besides, Devin outplayed a lot of safeties last year who make a ton more than he does.
Tyrann Mathieu for 1 and Budda Baker, Nasir Adderly and Jimmy Ward to name a few others. As much acclaim as Buffalo's Jordan Poyer got last year, Devin was within a few percentage points in PFF's rankings.

Devin's cap hit this year is only $6.45M because 2022 was supposed to be a void year. Cap magic by the Patriots.

Leave our Safeties alone. We have plenty of needs on D but S isn't one of them.
$6.45mm is better value for what he can provide than $9mm. I feel a little better about that.

Let's see how much of the 9M is in incentives. Although he's lost a step his leadership has value, especially as the Pats transition.to a younger core of DB's/
With all due respect, the vast majority of opinions from people who would know is that, amazingly, he hasn't lost a step. In my view, he's the same terrific player he's been for years.

I'm glad he's back. He still runs well enough and if he has lost a step his smarts more than make up for it.
This. I've always felt that Intelligence (particularly that which creates almost instantaneous situational awareness) should add a year or two on the back end.

Cheers

In terms of potential new culture guys, I've been getting pretty good Patriots Way feels from Phillips, Judon, and Bourne. But it's definitely going to be quite a transition over the next couple of years as guys like Slater, McCourty, and to a lesser extent Bolden and (maybe?) Hightower head out the door.

In terms of potential new culture guys, I've been getting pretty good Patriots Way feels from Phillips, Judon, and Bourne. But it's definitely going to be quite a transition over the next couple of years as guys like Slater, McCourty, and to a lesser extent Bolden and (maybe?) Hightower head out the door.

Hightower is the one who has slowed to the point I can do without him this year so long as we find someone to fill his spot. He looked like a rookie last year.

Hightower is the one who has slowed to the point I can do without him this year so long as we find someone to fill his spot. He looked like a rookie last year.
I've never been a big Hightower guy ('ceptin' that it's hard to argue with a guy who comes up that big on gotta-have-it plays in February) but he was a horrific nightmare last year. Taking his career as a whole, I don't think see him as a top-10 Belichick-era LB. Definitely not top-5.

My "maybe" above was as in "maybe he's a culture guy." I know for sure the other three are.

I have been trying to find missed tackle stats for the back end of the defense last season to no avail. I find those to be one of the more important stats.

With all due respect, the vast majority of opinions from people who would know is that, amazingly, he hasn't lost a step. In my view, he's the same terrific player he's been for years.
The evidence says otherwise. He made the pff, ap, and pfw all pro teams in 2016, but he hasn't made any since turning 30, coincidence perhaps?

His pff grades have trended down from excellent to good since then as well.

He's still good, and hasn't lost a ton of speed or quickness, but 25 y/o Devin would easily beat 35 y/o Devin in both 40 and 3 cones.

Back