McDermott to Buffalo?

HipKat

Buffalo to The Bone!!
Reaction score
So who will take Buffalo?? I'm assuming it will be Lynn for sure now.

Looks like it's an almost done deal with McDermott.

Rumors are he brings McCoy as OC and that he wants more control over the 53 man roster, which would limit Whaley's influence on the team, and Pegula is willing to give it to him

Wondering what you guys think about that combo in Buffalo

Rumors are he brings McCoy as OC and that he wants more control over the 53 man roster, which would limit Whaley's influence on the team, and Pegula is willing to give it to him

How much worse can he be from the last guy?

A coordinator who has never been a HC. Roll the dice I suppose. I really don't have a feeling one way or the other. I am just glad Coughlin ended up in the FO at Jax and not on the sidelines in Buffalo.

There's a lot of info in this article from The Buffalo News. It sounds like the Pegula's have interviewed 4-5 candidates and don't presently intend to interview any more. Seahawks DC Kris Richard has also been interviewed and seems to be the best candidate. It appears to me that Sean McDermott, current DC of the Panthers, is the first guy to show any real interest in the job but he wants control of personnel, too. What to do with Whaley then? I would have fired him along with Rex/Rob but that's just me. Interesting to me that Whaley wasn't involved in firing Rex & now he doesn't seem involved in hiring the HC. Even more reason to fire Whaley imo. What good is he?

https://buffalonews.com/2017/01/10/bills-coaching-search-holding-pattern/

How much worse can he be from the last guy?

Nothing could be worse than the last guy.....

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

There's a lot of info in this article from The Buffalo News. It sounds like the Pegula's have interviewed 4-5 candidates and don't presently intend to interview any more. Seahawks DC Kris Richard has also been interviewed and seems to be the best candidate. It appears to me that Sean McDermott, current DC of the Panthers, is the first guy to show any real interest in the job but he wants control of personnel, too. What to do with Whaley then? I would have fired him along with Rex/Rob but that's just me. Interesting to me that Whaley wasn't involved in firing Rex & now he doesn't seem involved in hiring the HC. Even more reason to fire Whaley imo. What good is he?

https://buffalonews.com/2017/01/10/bills-coaching-search-holding-pattern/

Whaley apparently has said in the past he'd like be head of scouting so that may be an option with a shared control of the roster with the new HC, possibly

Nothing could be worse than the last guy.....

I would pump the brakes here especially with an unproven HC. There are many, many coaches that never see an 8-8 season. The Jets thought they were getting an upgrade when they hired Bowles and he completely lost the team this season.

McCoy's a good coordinator - wonder who you guys are going to bring in for a QB though.

McDermott in theory should help that defense. Let's be honest, it couldn't get any worse with the actual talent they have.

Whaley is tight with the ownership. I don't think he's going anywhere.

I would pump the brakes here especially with an unproven HC. There are many, many coaches that never see an 8-8 season. The Jets thought they were getting an upgrade when they hired Bowles and he completely lost the team this season.

TBH, Mazz, I've never been a fan of Bowles. I thought it was a mistake and watching the Jets fall apart confirms it

McCoy's a good coordinator - wonder who you guys are going to bring in for a QB though.

McDermott in theory should help that defense. Let's be honest, it couldn't get any worse with the actual talent they have.

Whaley is tight with the ownership. I don't think he's going anywhere.

I don't think Whaley is so tight with ownership anymore. Seems like this was a Pegula decision and giving McDermott control of the roster undermines Whaley even more.

I don't really know enough about him, but my instincts say McDermott > Rex, Chan, Jauron, Mularky (although he's better now than he was in 2003), Williams

Back