McGinest Going to Prison?

oldbagfan

No touchy
Reaction score
I didn't see this posted anyplace, so forgive me if it has already been discussed. McGinest was always one of my biggest favorites on our team during the dream years. Never heard that he had any kind of anger or drinking problem, so have to wonder what happened here. From what I've read, he is facing 8 years in prison for these charges. Yikes!

Did anyone ever find out what pissed him off so much? I heard something about his daughter but then I think that news rumor was dispelled

Apparently, there is security video of the incident, although I couldn't find it.

"Video caught on restaurant security cameras shows a man seemingly sitting at a table minding his own business when a group of men including McGinest begin mercilessly beating him, and at one point McGinest appears to hit the man with a bottle."

Here's the video from the TMZ site, but pretty grainy.

I didn't see this posted anyplace, so forgive me if it has already been discussed. McGinest was always one of my biggest favorites on our team during the dream years. Never heard that he had any kind of anger or drinking problem, so have to wonder what happened here.
Sometimes it's just a bad day combined with a really edge situation that gets away from you. But as we see this again and again, and continue to learn...I wonder:
Screenshot_20230303-120942.png

Considering that they found CTE in over 90% of NFL players' brains that were examined, and Willie played for a long time...

Who knows. There's certainly also a special strain of machismo and aggression that isn't coincidentally found in football players, and the outlet for it just disappears one day. Still, I'm just sayin'.

Apparently, there is security video of the incident, although I couldn't find it.

"Video caught on restaurant security cameras shows a man seemingly sitting at a table minding his own business when a group of men including McGinest begin mercilessly beating him, and at one point McGinest appears to hit the man with a bottle."

I posted the video someplace on PP 4-6 weeks ago when the story broke.

Sometimes it's just a bad day combined with a really edge situation that gets away from you. But as we see this again and again, and continue to learn...I wonder:
View attachment 15694

Considering that they found CTE in over 90% of NFL players' brains that were examined, and Willie played for a long time...

Who knows. There's certainly also a special strain of machismo and aggression that isn't coincidentally found in football players, and the outlet for it just disappears one day. Still, I'm just sayin'.
There were many people beating up on that other person. The reason they all head CTE?

Criminal behavior is criminal behavior, and it needs to be punished before society doesn't exist any longer.

There were many people beating up on that other person. The reason they all head CTE?

Criminal behavior is criminal behavior, and it needs to be punished before society doesn't exist any longer.
I don't disagree. I was just pointing out the "never had an issue with anger" vs that video. Feel free to apply my point to news story X about a football player flying off the handle and/or getting violent out of nowhere.

I don't disagree. I was just pointing out the "never had an issue with anger" vs that video. Feel free to apply my point to news story X about a football player flying off the handle and/or getting violent out of nowhere.
That's a really good point. A lot of these guys who ended up beating up their wives/children or blowing their own brains out have taken a whole lot of blows to the head. Even Hernandez who had a whole lotta troubles of his own, ended up hanging himself. There's a decent 2015 movie out called "Concussion" which starts out showing Mike Webster's sad end and detailing attempts to get the league to recognize this condition as a result of football injury. If you haven't seen it, worth a watch.

That's a really good point. A lot of these guys who ended up beating up their wives/children or blowing their own brains out have taken a whole lot of blows to the head. Even Hernandez who had a whole lotta troubles of his own, ended up hanging himself. There's a decent 2015 movie out called "Concussion" which starts out showing Mike Webster's sad end and detailing attempts to get the league to recognize this condition as a result of football injury. If you haven't seen it, worth a watch.
Agree, it's a great watch. Will Smith is the Pathologist, Dr. Omalu, who connects the dots about the brain damage done to football players and takes on the NFL who tried to suppress his work/research

The book was FANTASTIC

I'm going to wait for the trial before I opine on this any further. Willie himself said 'wait until all the facts come out' when this first happened, nothing else has really been surprising.

View attachment 15694

Unfortunately I am quite aware of the stages of this brain killer As my Doctors have ruled everything else out we are left with the realisation that this is my fate. It is not out of the question that Willie McGinest suffers from this as well. Unfortunately the only way to verify the disease is by autopsy. I have told my Dr. I will hold off on that.

Unfortunately I am quite aware of the stages of this brain killer As my Doctors have ruled everything else out we are left with the realisation that this is my fate. It is not out of the question that Willie McGinest suffers from this as well. Unfortunately the only way to verify the disease is by autopsy. I have told my Dr. I will hold off on that.
Good call.

I'm going to wait for the trial before I opine on this any further. Willie himself said 'wait until all the facts come out' when this first happened, nothing else has really been surprising.
Yes, I'm looking forward to learning more as well. I read his apology on ProfootballTalk, an apology in which he took total responsibility for the act and sounded both sincere and contrite, which in my opinion is rare in athlete apologies. What was interesting was the last line in the apology:

" I know that violence is never the answer to such situations, no matter how intense the provocation."

I'd really like to know the provocation. In the video he walks ups, talks for a couple of seconds, pops the guy hard without warning, and then participates in a mass beatdown. I don't have CTE but I do have combat PTSD which decades later still sometimes sets me off badly. I understand how people can do things that are totally against their moral code when their brain's wiring has been damaged even when they're under medications. That said, I know my triggers and I'm really interested in what caused him to go looking for that guy and start an incident in a restaurant that was sure to be recorded. That alone tells me he wasn't thinking straight.

Yes, I'm looking forward to learning more as well. I read his apology on ProfootballTalk, an apology in which he took total responsibility for the act and sounded both sincere and contrite, which in my opinion is rare in athlete apologies. What was interesting was the last line in the apology:

" I know that violence is never the answer to such situations, no matter how intense the provocation."

I'd really like to know the provocation. In the video he walks ups, talks for a couple of seconds, pops the guy hard without warning, and then participates in a mass beatdown. I don't have CTE but I do have combat PTSD which decades later still sometimes sets me off badly. I understand how people can do things that are totally against their moral code when their brain's wiring has been damaged even when they're under medications. That said, I know my triggers and I'm really interested in what caused him to go looking for that guy and start an incident in a restaurant that was sure to be recorded. That alone tells me he wasn't thinking straight.
To be honest, I read that and it had slick PR hands all over it.

1. Mentions his youth work - check
2. Mentions faith and family - check
3. Appears contrite and talks about lessons learned - check
4. Apologises to his employer - check
5. Talks about violence not being the answer - check

Let's face it, if there was a genuine reason for this, it would have been all over the news and social media. Willie is a seasoned media-savvy guy and has money. His PR people would have made sure the whole world knew the reason.

My suspicion is this was a stupid, guy thing. The stupidity of bumping into someone at the bar and cursing them out, more words exchanged and retribution decided upon and acted on. You or I might not go down that road but a lot of these guys who grew up in rough areas will happily put a cap into you for supposedly insulting them.

Willie had a moment of pure madness and he'll pay for it for a long time. of course I may be wrong, but the lack of any kind of background story from Willie's camp leads me to believe my version.

It's so sad, he was a real hero to me and many other. And he still can be if he pays the penalty and is genuinely contrite.

To be honest, I read that and it had slick PR hands all over it.

1. Mentions his youth work - check
2. Mentions faith and family - check
3. Appears contrite and talks about lessons learned - check
4. Apologises to his employer - check
5. Talks about violence not being the answer - check

Let's face it, if there was a genuine reason for this, it would have been all over the news and social media. Willie is a seasoned media-savvy guy and has money. His PR people would have made sure the whole world knew the reason.

My suspicion is this was a stupid, guy thing. The stupidity of bumping into someone at the bar and cursing them out, more words exchanged and retribution decided upon and acted on. You or I might not go down that road but a lot of these guys who grew up in rough areas will happily put a cap into you for supposedly insulting them.

Willie had a moment of pure madness and he'll pay for it for a long time. of course I may be wrong, but the lack of any kind of background story from Willie's camp leads me to believe my version.

It's so sad, he was a real hero to me and many other. And he still can be if he pays the penalty and is genuinely contrite.
You're right, it reads really well. I just can't tell the difference between sincere and contrite and a speech designed by pr to be sincere and contrite. Still, I do want to know the story behind the "no matter what the provocation." That sounded more like self justification to me.

Whatever the provocation, he could do real jail time.

Criminals in general can always be dumb, but how stupid do you have to be committing assault when you know there are surveillance cameras everywhere these days, not to mention everyone carries a cellphone capable of recording your actions? 🙄

Bummed out about this. Willie was always a favorite of mine. I'd like to see him vindicate himself, but beating a guy up in public with your buddies is not a good look, to say the least.

Whatever the provocation, he could do real jail time.

Criminals in general can always be dumb, but how stupid do you have to be committing assault when you know there are surveillance cameras everywhere these days, not to mention everyone carries a cellphone capable of recording your actions? 🙄

Bummed out about this. Willie was always a favorite of mine. I'd like to see him vindicate himself, but beating a guy up in public with your buddies is not a good look, to say the least.
100% agree.

Back