Mel Kiper on PTI says Maurice Clarett to the Patriots

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
Take this for what its worth....he also said we should take MacGahee last year:

http://www.kffl.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53243

Just a summary of what he said on Five Good Minutes...

-Thinks Clarett is worth a second rounder. Questions about his durability, character, year long layoff, and ability will hold him back. Thinks he should have stayed in college because he hurt his draft stock. Thinks he could have been a Top 5 pick if he stayed at Ohio State for three years. Thinks New England should take a shot at him since they have two firsts and two seconds.

-Doesn't think this ruling will open a floodgate for young players who want to come to the NFL. Points to numerous players who could have declared this year and been first rounders, but decided to stay. Thinks there will be players who grow tired and will want to move on, but for the most part, things shouldn't change much.

-Thinks Drew Henson is worth a second rounder. Thinks Green Bay might be the team to take him since he thinks that would be an ideal situation for them.

Undertaker #59 said:

http://www.kffl.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53243

Yeah, I was watching PTI last night when he said that. I almost choked on my food. It's amazing how clueless some of these analysts are. Unless BB/Pioli were completely convinced that this kid fit the Patriot mold, they won't go anywhere near him. Guys like Kiper are strictly numbers driven. Give the player a rating number and put him in a slot. Minor adjustments for team needs. They rarely ever take into consideration the intangibles that a team like the Pats look for.

Undertaker #59 said:
Mel Kiper on PTI says Maurice Clarett to the Patriots

I had the same incredulous reaction when I saw it. For a guru, he doesn't seem too dialed-in to the Patriots draft tendencies. Clarett to the Pats? Unbelievably off the mark for so many reasons, not the least of which is that Belichick is known NOT to like rookies all that much to begin with (he prefers veterans), and almost never takes underclassmen. Then you add in Claretts dislike for playing by the rules, his potential legal issues, etc.

Way to go Mel. Shootin' blanks :thumb:

Question: Is it possible for a team to draft and sign a player to a contract, and then during the first year or to of the contract the player play for a team in a different league--e.g., CFL, NFL Europe (with the drafting team's permission, of course)?

Bushy T Beaver said:
Question: Is it possible for a team to draft and sign a player to a contract, and then during the first year or to of the contract the player play for a team in a different league--e.g., CFL, NFL Europe (with the drafting team's permission, of course)?

Thinking aloud:

Teams can get NFL Europe exceptions (to the cap) for players signed but playing in Europe, but then during the regular season they usually release them or sign them to the practice squad...so I would say it is possible but not desirable from a cap perspective. I think they would count against the cap regardless of where they play. Then again I imagine the contract could be for a nominal (league min. for vets) amount...but a rookie doesn't want to sign a nominal contract. What's the incentive for the player? I think that becomes your biggest issue. Like I said, just thinking aloud, I'm not certain. Why do you ask? Clarett?

NoRespect said:
Thinking aloud:

Teams can get NFL Europe exceptions (to the cap) for players signed but playing in Europe, but then during the regular season they usually release them or sign them to the practice squad...so I would say it is possible but not desirable from a cap perspective. I think they would count against the cap regardless of where they play. Then again I imagine the contract could be for a nominal (league min. for vets) amount...but a rookie doesn't want to sign a nominal contract. What's the incentive for the player? I think that becomes your biggest issue. Like I said, just thinking aloud, I'm not certain. Why do you ask? Clarett?

Kind of. I guess I'm trying to figure out how a team would try to work it so that they could lock up the rights to a young prospect, but get him some seasoning before bringing him up, all at the same time minimizing their financial risk. If they could give him an ample but back-loaded contract and play him in one of the other leagues for a year or two, that might make sense.

Bushy T Beaver said:
Kind of. I guess I'm trying to figure out how a team would try to work it so that they could lock up the rights to a young prospect, but get him some seasoning before bringing him up, all at the same time minimizing their financial risk. If they could give him an ample but back-loaded contract and play him in one of the other leagues for a year or two, that might make sense.

It might work provided the guy is taken low enough in the draft. No first round pick is going to sign with a team that wants to send him here . Sorry OttowaP. If I might digress for a moment, so it appears that fans paint their faces in the CFL too? :D That is actually an interesting looking site. I am going back to check it out later.

Where was I? What you are aluding to might need to happen particularly if more underclassmen start coming out and teams don't show a unified front. The Pats might balk at drafting a sophmore or freshman, but I wouldn't put anything past Al Davis. I think you are going to see a new draft "class" and that is guys that teams are willing to take a chance on, but not for big bucks. Eventually that group will dwindle when players see they are hurting their earning potential but I don't think it will ever go away, thank you Maurice. There will always be that one sleezy owner willing to take a chance.

NoRespect said:

Way to go Mel Shootin' Blanks :thumb:

Wasn't he the voice of Bugs and Elmer?? Maybe you're onto something here NR!;)

DeaconPanther said:
Sorry to intrude but........are there any NFL fans that want their team to draft Clarett?

Cardinal fans maybe?:p Well god knows I would cry my ass to sleep if they drafted this goof. LAw problems, out of shape..ummmmm NO

DeaconPanther said:
Sorry to intrude but........are there any NFL fans that want their team to draft Clarett?

Maybe a perfect fit for the Faidahs, they need an injection of young punk blood!

runnerone said:
Maybe a perfect fit for the Faidahs, they need an injection of young punk blood!

I was thinking this as well. If the Faiders don't take Clarrett in the first round, they'll probably definitely take him in the second. And he'll turn into a crack addict punk. Good! Serves him right! ;)

PSC_Pats_Fan said:
I was thinking this as well. If the Faiders don't take Clarrett in the first round, they'll probably definitely take him in the second. And he'll turn into a crack addict punk. Good! Serves him right! ;)

I dont exactly wish for him to throw his life away. But I could see that punk becoming a Faider. Good fit, think about it, one retard who cant finish school, with the worst team in the league today.

Back