Memorial day thanks to all that gave their all

thank-you-for-your-service.jpg

Here's one with a better soundtrack.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OO5y2O_hv3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've been researching my father's Korean War service in order to get info for his grave marker, and even though he told Mom, my sister and me a few stories (previously he had kept to lighter stuff, like winning big in a poker game), some of the battle reports for his company/regiment can make your hair stand on end.

To all the veterans who fought and suffered, thank you.

another version

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UUZHTE1jMXg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm taking my wife and kids to visit the 15 yr old grave of an old friend today. He was never married and his elder sister had just died when I met him in the mid 80's. Every Thursday night for years we would take him into the the North End for dinner. He enjoyed it so much. For years we watched as he marched proudly in local Memorial Day Parades in uniform. We miss you, Ed. Thank you.

An Aside: Venice CA had a nice replica of the Vietnam Memorial vandalized apparently in Honor of Memorial Day. I have shed tears for three friends (One from 'Nam, two from HS, at the wall in DC and this disrespect makes me sad. We are supposed to understand that we (all the generations of my family and yours) fought for the freedom to allow these *holes to be *holes. But it HAS put a bit of a damper on today for me.

That said, I can not understate how much I owe to those who died for our country. To all these valiant men and women, thank you and requiescat in pace.

BostonTim

I give the utmost respect to those who gave all for this country, both voluntarily or drafted. Most were young and still had a full life to live. They sacrificed so that we could raise and love our family. May the sacrifice never be in vain.

Thank you to all who have served and to those paid the ultimate sacrifice so that we can have our freedom.

Gina

My dad was a ww2 vet and never would talk about it. Everything I know about his service my mom Told me. He flew on bombers and Had a disability from a plane crash that ended his war for him.

My dad was a ww2 vet and never would talk about it. Everything I know about his service my mom Told me. He flew on bombers and Had a disability from a plane crash that ended his war for him.

My Grandfather never, dad talked a bit with my son about it, my brother never, sons and son-in-law don't talk about it much.

On a lighter note, we had a what I thought was to be a family cook out. All my son's and SIL's local fellow soldiers that I had gotten to know quite well showed up to surprise me. It's amazing to see the men they've become they were just kids when I first met them. wuv

~Dee~

I salute all the vets today. I always hope we are worthy in the end.

Back