Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

Dirtywater

Planet's Graphics
Reaction score
OT: Best Pizza in Mass...

OK, I am curious what are your favorite Pizza places in Mass. I am coming home soon and want to get me some good pizza. In L.A., tyou ave a choice betweem crap, and bad.

My current favorite is Denneno's Pizza in Stoughton. Friggin' delicious! Sweet sauce, not to thick, not to thin. Yikes I want some now... :D

So, fire away!!!

if you like gourmet pizza theres this nice place in arlington center starts with a G i think the name is escaping me... but it's pretty good. Theres also a similar place in framingham i forget the name...

but as for traditional pizza in the boston area... call me crazy but i really like Papa Gino's.

Re: OT: Best Pizza in Mass...

Dirtywater said:
OK, I am curious what are your favorite Pizza places in Mass. I am coming home soon and want to get me some good pizza. In L.A., tyou ave a choice betweem crap, and bad.

Take it from the pizza loving fat guy. the best pizza is regina.

http://www.polcaris.com/pizzeriaregina.htm

Expensive, But your coming all the way from LA just to get a pizza, this is the place you should go.

Espresso Pizza in Fitchburg. drool wuv

I grew up on it and miss it dearly. The closest I've found to it is Papa John's.

Re: OT: Best Pizza in Mass...

Dirtywater said:

My current favorite is Denneno's Pizza in Stoughton. Friggin' delicious! Sweet sauce, not to thick, not to thin. Yikes I want some now... :D

So, fire away!!!
Momma Denneno is the best, I have been going there my whole life I live about 1 1/2 away - remember to try the pickle pizza - not on the menu but very tasty if you like pickles

it started as a joke for my cousins wife and it was pretty good so we still order it 13 years later

Re: Re: OT: Best Pizza in Mass...

B A Rabbit said:

Expensive, But your coming all the way from LA just to get a pizza, this is the place you should go.

I've driven over an hour to get Regina... good stuff.

My fave Pizza Place is Pizzaman in Merrimack, NH, so it doesn't count :sulk:

Been a while since I've had pizza up there, but when I lived in Meffuh (a/k/a Medford) there was a place I used to go to that was awesome. Can't remember the name, but it was on a main street, think it was simply named after the street, corner joint with full restaurant and bar but I only got take-out pizza...

Regina is excellent but overpriced. There's one downstairs in the mall here where I work, and two pieces of plain cheese run you over six bucks.

There's a good R.I. chain called Kingston Pizza, more of a fat, big-dough pizza, but it's good stuff.

To me, it kinda depends on what mood I'm in and what style I'm after.

Denneno's is good for a thin crust single topping type (usually pepperoni or sausage).

I like Regina for the siscillian tomato and basil.

Bertucci's has my favorite Margherita Pizza.

Probably, my favorite style pizza though is a supreme thick crust, which means I go for either Pizza Hut Pan or Papa John's (if I'm in the mood for the garlic butter and pepperoncini).

As for you, D.W., you could always take a 6 hour cruise up to S.F. and get Blondie's.

I haven't found the perfect pizza yet, but I think the best so far is Regina's IN THE NORTH END. The mall extensions of Regina are not nearly as good. I would bet though that there are some little Mom & Pop places in the north end that are very good.

Linwoods in the Holbrook Randolph line is quite good....but I agree, hit the North End and get a table sized pizza @ Regina.

My friends in LA have the same complaint...no good pizza.

I didn't know you were in LA bro.

My buddie does set dressing on movies and tv shows out there. He works on Nip Tuck right now.

A girl I went to college with and tagged here and there (prior to my marraige last year) lives on Melrose Place and waitresses at the Hotel BelAir.

Both of them hook me up when I go out there...real fun city, no kids, no old people, everything seems 25 mins away, great weather.

best pizza is from my oven at home actually

bertucci's dough most the time but I use other

I use a tomato/basil pesto with basil induced extra-virgin olive oil drizzled over it topped with
broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms (baby bellas sauteed), onions (sauteed), peppers (roasted), fresh slices mozzarella cheese and crushed red pepper flakes cooked on my Pizza stone

I add others stuff depending on the season and what's available

I also let the kids roll out their own dough and make cheese Pizza's for themselves - those are my favorite

edit - I find it best to buy the red or orange peppers and roast them right on top of the gas stove at home while the oven heats up - take them off drop in cold water and peel

edit 2 - town spa sells frozen pizza you can ship - we sent some to my nephew in cali a while ago - available at town spa in stoughton or if I remember correctly Cresent ridge sharon delivers them

mikiemo83 said:
best pizza is from my oven at home actually

I make my own all the time. I make the dough from scratch but use sauce from a jar (too much work to make my own sauce). I use a blend of four cheeses that I buy at Market Basket. I started to experiment with olive oil this past year and liked the way it came out (as opposed to Canola).

Home-made pizza and a movie on Saturday nights has been a long tradition in my house. These days, when the kids are home, it's a requirement that I have to make a pizza for them. I usually don't make it in the summer because the dough doesn't come out too well in the heat and humidity. But a Saturday night in the winter without home-made pizza is unthinkable.

Re: Re: OT: Best Pizza in Mass...

B A Rabbit said:

Ugh. I lived in the North End for ten years. It's well known among the locals (the Italians in the NE) that the *worst* pizza place in the NE is the original Pizzeria Regina.

They all go to the Circle Pizza place (it's really more of a cafeteria, and closes at like 3PM, but the pizzas and calzones are to die for).

Or they go to Bricca's (or something like that, on Hanover street also).

I went to Regina's twice, over two years. Each time the pizza I got was so soggy (pepperoni, mushrooms) it was uneatable. And the second time I had asked for the crust well-done, thinking this would fix it. It did not. I ended up bringing the pizza back and asking them to cook it so the crust wasn't soggy. They refused, so I just asked for my money back.

Perhaps the other Pizzeria Regina stores are better, but the original one, in the NE--yuck. The locals say that there's one pizza guy there who's good, and the rest *stink*. I just kept missing the guy I guess. And Bricca's is consistently excellent. If yer in the NE, you should try it...

I make my own as well. I have a nice thick stone that has been seasoned for more than 15 years. Though I don't do it very often any longer.

The last few I have made I have been experimenting in Chicago Deep Dish (Never mind the NY vs Chicago thing - I like them both, they are almost different foods). I make them from scratch and use a deep pan on top of the stone, with fresh sliced mozz and provolone, home made sauce, sliced pepperoni and sweet italian sausage. It is yummy, but very filling.

Re: Re: Re: OT: Best Pizza in Mass...

aaava said:
Ugh. I lived in the North End for ten years. It's well known among the locals that the *worst* pizza place in the NE is the original Pizzeria Regina.

I went there twice, over two years. Each time the pizza I got was so soggy (pepperoni, mushrooms) it was uneatable. And the second time I had asked for the crust well-done, thinking this would fix it. It did not. I ended up bringing the pizza back and asking them to cook it so the crust wasn't soggy. They refused, so I just asked for my money back.

Perhaps the other Pizzeria Regina stores are better, but the original one, in the NE--yuck.

The crust at Michele's, one of two restaurants in Naples that claims to be the world's first pizzeria, is also very soggy (and very thin). It's possible that what you were served was similar.

I should add that the pizza there is still, for me, the best I've ever had, but tastes vary. In general, really good pizza has to be baked in a wood-fired stove, I think.

My wife makes pizza with dough you can buy at DeMoula's (I think). We are especially fond of her Brocolli, Tuna, and Walnuts pizza.

I think Bertoucci's is pretty darn good.

My old, dilapidated website (badly in need of repair), has some photos from Pizzeria da Michele:

http://www.thomas144.com/Italy2002/naples.htm

I just moved to Stoughton last October and live on the same street as Denneno's. My wife & I are big fans. We walk the dog by there every night and every time we pass the open window we kick ourselves for already eating dinner.

I'm a big fan of The Chateau/Nocera's pizza. Growing up in Waltham, it was light years ahead of every other shop. Moving to Stoughton and seeing Nocera's was comforting. Even better now that Norton has a Chateau (the old Anne's Place).

For the Boston/Faniuel Hall dwellers - Haymarket Pizza. It's a complete hole in the earth but the certainly serve a solid slice.

Undertaker #59 said:
I make my own as well. I have a nice thick stone that has been seasoned for more than 15 years. Though I don't do it very often any longer.

The last few I have made I have been experimenting in Chicago Deep Dish (Never mind the NY vs Chicago thing - I like them both, they are almost different foods). I make them from scratch and use a deep pan on top of the stone, with fresh sliced mozz and provolone, home made sauce, sliced pepperoni and sweet italian sausage. It is yummy, but very filling.

This is true. Whole Foods has frozen dough that is pretty tasty. Especially if you cook the pizza on a stone on the grill...it gets much hotter than an oven...

bideau said:
I make my own all the time. I make the dough from scratch but use sauce from a jar (too much work to make my own sauce). I use a blend of four cheeses that I buy at Market Basket. I started to experiment with olive oil this past year and liked the way it came out (as opposed to Canola).

Home-made pizza and a movie on Saturday nights has been a long tradition in my house. These days, when the kids are home, it's a requirement that I have to make a pizza for them. I usually don't make it in the summer because the dough doesn't come out too well in the heat and humidity. But a Saturday night in the winter without home-made pizza is unthinkable.
I need to start making my own dough but am too lazy when I can pick it up for a $1.50 a bag at most. - I should try it in the fall.

I make pizza the most during hte off camping season and usually on a friday night so when wife and kids get home from work/daycare, the kids are ready to roll out their dough and top

the olive oil can be flavored to add a little to the pizza - I tend to stick with the basil olive oil

I also do a lot of calzones for the football games and will have to meet up this season with a tray full

sausage pepper and onion
pepperoni and habanero cheese
ham, salami and cheese ( type varies depending on mood but a garlic cheese is great)
those are the three I make the most

BACK TO PIZZA

Linwood/ Town Spa are similar and both are highly recommended
I like the Linwood more because they remain in the same place and not as commercialized as the Spa has become

-the Spa has the best honey mustard sauce around for their chicken tenders which I found out 2 nights ago the stopped making

Back