Merged - Patriots Coaching Staff Changes

DeGuglielmo is out

Thank god. Gone. Maybe they can coax Scar out of retirement.

Clearly the OL was a problem. If some blame needs to be placed somewhere who can argue with firing the OL coach.

This is weird. I'm not sure how I feel about this move. Don't get me wrong - the OL sucked hard yesterday. But Vollmer played hurt, Stork's never been right since being hurt, and everyone else there is a scrub. Kline's a JAG. Cannon is downright horrible. Fleming is atrocious.

If we had Solder, things would've been very, very different. Seems like Gugs is getting fired b/c the personnel at the spot is weak. But - who knows? I trust BB, and obviously there is more going on behind the scenes.

That's a hell of a message to send to the Jets.

Sent from my Enigma Device

He must've refused to tape the Broncos practice before the game

Either you post on pro football talk or you copying pasted that exact same thing from their comments section.

Either way, swing and a miss

Thank god. Gone. Maybe they can coax Scar out of retirement.

please please please

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

This is weird. I'm not sure how I feel about this move. Don't get me wrong - the OL sucked hard yesterday. But Vollmer played hurt, Stork's never been right since being hurt, and everyone else there is a scrub. Kline's a JAG. Cannon is downright horrible. Fleming is atrocious.

If we had Solder, things would've been very, very different. Seems like Gugs is getting fired b/c the personnel at the spot is weak. But - who knows? I trust BB, and obviously there is more going on behind the scenes.

they have invested a fair amount of draft capital in the ol over the last couple seasons and not much to show for it...

I wish I knew more specifics.

He was a good enough coach to get us to a Super Bowl win last year, but obviously the line play wasn't close to being acceptable.

I'd LOVE to know what really happened.

I'll tell you one thing: The constant chinese fire drill didn't help the situation.

Case in point: Shaq Mason played almost entirely at LG the whole season. So, RG Tre Jackson goes down with a knee a few weeks ago and instead of sticking Kline at RG, which he has played (I used the term loosely) fairly often this season and leave Mason alone, they switch him over to RG and put Kline at LG for the last two games.

Doesn't logic indicate that we get weaker at two spots when we make an unnecessary double switch like this? I know there are explanations for why we do this sort of thing, but there was zero coordination and I haven't seen a Pats OL get hosed up on simple stunts the way the 2015 edition did in a very long time.

I'm glad that we're making a move, because it can't possibly get any worse than what we just witnessed.

I wish I knew more specifics.

He was a good enough coach to get us to a Super Bowl win last year, but obviously the line play wasn't close to being acceptable.

I'd LOVE to know what really happened.

I'll tell you one thing: The constant chinese fire drill didn't help the situation.

Case in point: Shaq Mason played almost entirely at LG the whole season. So, RG Tre Jackson goes down with a knee a few weeks ago and instead of sticking Kline at RG, which he has played (I used the term loosely) fairly often this season and leave Mason alone, they switch him over to RG and put Kline at LG for the last two games.

Doesn't logic indicate that we get weaker at two spots when we make an unnecessary double switch like this? I know there are explanations for why we do this sort of thing, but there was zero coordination and I haven't seen a Pats OL get hosed up on simple stunts the way the 2015 edition did in a very long time.

I'm glad that we're making a move, because it can't possibly get any worse than what we just witnessed.

Exactly, Hawg. There was absolutely no consistency. Granted, you have to try to get the proper working combination, but there was no cohesiveness whatsoever.

As an example, Stork gets injured, Andrew comes in and does a bang-up job at center. Wouldn't logic dictate leaving him at center and moving Stork to guard, especially when you're not only thin there but not particularly secure with what you've got. I mean, why waste Andrews when he played well the first half of the season?

Last year, same thing. Connolly and Wendell get injured and it was musical chairs for weeks. They settled them down, but there were rumblings that I heard way back then that the oline wasn't buying in to Guge. I have to assume that he completely lost them this season.

Move Daboll up. At least players seem to like him. And dig a big huge hole in the ground and bury Cannon.

All i know is that as far as i can recall, bb has basically fired 3 coaches ever as a pats hc: gugs, pees (non renewal of contract) and corwin brown who i think had some mental issues. so...this is pretty big. maybe the fact the ol wasn't performing well was secondary to some things the guy was doing outside the performance of his unit. such as methods, habits, etc

Wasn't Guge with the Phins and Jets? What could BB possibly have seen in him to begin with?

exactly, hawg. There was absolutely no consistency. Granted, you have to try to get the proper working combination, but there was no cohesiveness whatsoever.

As an example, stork gets injured, andrew comes in and does a bang-up job at center. Wouldn't logic dictate leaving him at center and moving stork to guard, especially when you're not only thin there but not particularly secure with what you've got. I mean, why waste andrews when he played well the first half of the season?

Last year, same thing. Connolly and wendell get injured and it was musical chairs for weeks. They settled them down, but there were rumblings that i heard way back then that the oline wasn't buying in to guge. I have to assume that he completely lost them this season.

Move daboll up. At least players seem to like him. And dig a big huge hole in the ground and bury cannon and kline
fyp

There were times when Kline played really well, and I hated him last year. I would cringe every time I saw him on the line. Some decent games this season.

I think he was just too injured.

tinfoil hat mode:
perchance has something to do with bb"s mysterious black eye?

Wow. Did not even think of that. How long was his contract? Maybe it's up and they've just decided it wasn't working?

Exactly, Hawg. There was absolutely no consistency. Granted, you have to try to get the proper working combination, but there was no cohesiveness whatsoever.

As an example, Stork gets injured, Andrew comes in and does a bang-up job at center. Wouldn't logic dictate leaving him at center and moving Stork to guard, especially when you're not only thin there but not particularly secure with what you've got. I mean, why waste Andrews when he played well the first half of the season?

Last year, same thing. Connolly and Wendell get injured and it was musical chairs for weeks. They settled them down, but there were rumblings that I heard way back then that the oline wasn't buying in to Guge. I have to assume that he completely lost them this season.

Move Daboll up. At least players seem to like him. And dig a big huge hole in the ground and bury Cannon.

You make some good points.

I don't understand why Andrews didn't get another shot after Stork came back around mid-season and struggled. It was clear to me that Stork was trying to gut it out on that bad ankle but he had neither the power or mobility he showed as a rookie. I thought he missed a lot of blocks and, more troubling, a lot of assignments. He often looked very frustrated.

I really thought Cannon looked great in camp two years ago and he's done nothing but regress. He's a good kid, but I agree that he needs to go. Cam Fleming needs to go sooner. Josh Kline, who some talking head idiot described as our best Olineman, needs to go soonerer.

It got so bad that I was watching the Niners a few weeks ago and I thought "gee, too bad we don't have young linemen like that Jordan Devey fella". And he's still terrible.

I like watching the OL. I don't claim to be any kind of expert, but I really felt at times this year that it was like watching a horror movie. I can only imagine what Brady was saying behind closed doors, because they almost got him killed. Honestly, it's a miracle he played 18 games.

Given the fact that BB almost never fires an assistant coach then there were no doubt some serious issues with Gugs. I hope somebody gives us an idea what those issues are even if they have to go off the record.

I feel like we have a lot of good pieces to set this situation right for next season, but we need to get Andrews stronger and get rid of Cannon, Kline and Fleming.

Back