Miami at Patriots - Sunday, Sept 12 at 4:25 (CBS)

Will Tua be their QB or will they trade for Watson? I am hedging on Tua being the guy for this game.
The Houston asking price for Watson, according to guest on NFL radio who cited multiple teams reporting the same thing, was 3 firsts and 2 seconds. Yikes.

Even if Watson were free and clear legally that would be a very steep price to pay but what GM is going to make that trade not knowing what could happen 5 minutes later? Nobody is that desperate and I've seen lots worse QB prospects than Tua who had spotty rookie year like virtually every rookie QB ever. He'll be their guy with a chance to prove that he is the real deal and
he should be significantly better.

Supposedly, Houston was not entertaining any "swap me your guy and I'll cut the price" deals. They want those picks.

Watson signed off on his no-trade for Miami but it was just a prayer to land in a different, relatively glamorous spot. He's got bigger problems than football as everybody realizes and there doesn't appear to be any way he's going anywhere any time soon.

Looking at the Dolphins, the things that stand out to me is that, as far as I know, their starting safeties will be Jason McCourty and Eric Rowe and their front 7
can be bullied on the ground.

No mystery that we will be trying to run the ball, but I'd love to see play action directed at those safeties. I hope our TEs are ready to go.

After the offseason we've had, I'm not sure if it's just too much to hope for a sharp home opener for this team, but that is exactly what I'm going to predict. Miami sells out
to stop the run and Mac Jones makes them pay with counter punches. He'll hit one deep ball over the middle for a score.

The questions should be, 1) How does Miami deal with our two TE offense without having any tape on it? 2) How the hell does Miami keep Tua upright?

Spoken like a petulant five year old. I know you're just being a dink here, and that you know damned well the message was not to forget about former players. There has never been any issue about anyone (except you and Mazz) talking about any other player in Pats history (other than Tom Brady). And there still is no problem talking about Tom Brady in a historical sense. So don't play stupid.

Looking at the Dolphins, the things that stand out to me is that, as far as I know, their starting safeties will be Jason McCourty and Eric Rowe and their front 7
can be bullied on the ground.

No mystery that we will be trying to run the ball, but I'd love to see play action directed at those safeties. I hope our TEs are ready to go.

After the offseason we've had, I'm not sure if it's just too much to hope for a sharp home opener for this team, but that is exactly what I'm going to predict. Miami sells out
to stop the run and Mac Jones makes them pay with counter punches. He'll hit one deep ball over the middle for a score.
I am so looking forward to play action with Stevenson in the backfield with a FB and two tight ends. If a handoff is faked, the LBs will be jumping forward.

Check out this video.

View: https://streamable.com/tyrqzd

Pats have run-heavy formation. Tight OLine with TE on offensive right, a FB and Stevenson. 2 WRs on offensive left obviously there to draw two defenders again the apparent action with is run offensive right.

:02 Giants have 3 down linemen flanked by two upright pass rushers and 3 LBs. 8 men in the box. All 3 LBs on offensive right of center. Two CBs in man and a single high safety.

:06 At the snap FB runs right followed by stevenson, Jones about to pitch the ball. OGs, Ts and TE all block their man to the outside opening a huge running lane. Center stays put seeming to block anyone trying to penetrate the hole

:07 Giants LBs all react by charging up. One second after ball is snapped they are within a yard of LOS and moving fast. One LB or S (can’t tell) takes a step back in case Stevenson is going for a pass (great move on that guy’s part)

:09 Olszewski runs across flat while Wilkerson runs run incut.

:10 Olszewski has more separation then Wilkerson so the ball goes to him.

:12 Olszewski drops a ball that hits him in the hands in stride, but the play action worked great. There is no way LBs will not bite on Stevenson following a FB.

:21 The endzone view show just how great a pass it was.

Check out this video.

View: https://streamable.com/tyrqzd

Pats have run-heavy formation. Tight OLine with TE on offensive right, a FB and Stevenson. 2 WRs on offensive left obviously there to draw two defenders again the apparent action with is run offensive right.

:02 Giants have 3 down linemen flanked by two upright pass rushers and 3 LBs. 8 men in the box. All 3 LBs on offensive right of center. Two CBs in man and a single high safety.

:06 At the snap FB runs right followed by stevenson, Jones about to pitch the ball. OGs, Ts and TE all block their man to the outside opening a huge running lane. Center stays put seeming to block anyone trying to penetrate the hole

:07 Giants LBs all react by charging up. One second after ball is snapped they are within a yard of LOS and moving fast. One LB or S (can’t tell) takes a step back in case Stevenson is going for a pass (great move on that guy’s part)

:09 Olszewski runs across flat while Wilkerson runs run incut.

:10 Olszewski has more separation then Wilkerson so the ball goes to him.

:12 Olszewski drops a ball that hits him in the hands in stride, but the play action worked great. There is no way LBs will not bite on Stevenson following a FB.

:21 The endzone view show just how great a pass it was.

Excellent breakdown. Play-action will be Mac Jones' best friend.

The first thing you need to do to create an offense that works is find one thing you do consistently well. Force the D to put their attention on that and build a counter, then another, then another until you create chaos and confusion, which we weren't good enough to do last year. In fact, it's a miracle we ran as well as we did given the anemic passing game.

Right now everybody thinks we'll be pretty good at running the football and they'll try to load up versus that which is what we saw almost every week last season. At some point, they'll be equally concerned, or more, with Mac throwing, but he's going to have some time to exploit run-heavy Defensive gameplans before the film shows teams he is actually the guy we've been watching this summer and they start stepping back. It's going to be a thing of beauty to watch this offense develop.

I'm not saying Miami has a bad D. I think they'll probably be pretty tough, but I think this offense is good enough right now to score some points and earn respect starting with them.

Play action isn't an option when no one respects the run game, like last year. This year we are quite formidable in the run game this year. I agree that Mac will feast on play action all season.

Play action isn't an option when no one respects the run game, like last year. This year we are quite formidable in the run game this year. I agree that Mac will feast on play action all season.
Everyone respected the run game last year. They sold out against the run and dared us to beat them passing deep or outside the numbers.

The Houston asking price for Watson, according to guest on NFL radio who cited multiple teams reporting the same thing, was 3 firsts and 2 seconds. Yikes.

Even if Watson were free and clear legally that would be a very steep price to pay but what GM is going to make that trade not knowing what could happen 5 minutes later? Nobody is that desperate and I've seen lots worse QB prospects than Tua who had spotty rookie year like virtually every rookie QB ever. He'll be their guy with a chance to prove that he is the real deal and
he should be significantly better.

Supposedly, Houston was not entertaining any "swap me your guy and I'll cut the price" deals. They want those picks.

Watson signed off on his no-trade for Miami but it was just a prayer to land in a different, relatively glamorous spot. He's got bigger problems than football as everybody realizes and there doesn't appear to be any way he's going anywhere any time soon.
For a guy who could be on the Commissioner's Exempt list at any time. Yikes.

One week from today and I'm getting pumped.
Both starting QB's on the same college team at the same time.
Hurts was also a teammate of Tua and Mac the Knife. That is 3 NFL starters who were on the same college team.

Spoken like a petulant five year old. I know you're just being a dink here, and that you know damned well the message was not to forget about former players. There has never been any issue about anyone (except you and Mazz) talking about any other player in Pats history (other than Tom Brady). And there still is no problem talking about Tom Brady in a historical sense. So don't play stupid.
For Brady ball-washers, particularly here,, playing stupid is endemic.

Back