Miami at Patriots - Sunday, Sept 12 at 4:25 (CBS)

Projecting the Miami Dolphins starting defense in Week 1

We now know which members of the Miami Dolphins have survived the initial cut down to 53 players. But who is going to be most responsible for securing the win against New England?

Here’s our forecast for the first-team defense next Sunday:

Defensive Line

• DL Christian Wilkins
  • NT Raekwon Davis
  • DL Emmanuel Ogbah
No. 1 rotational player: DL Zach Sieler

There should be no surprises with this forecast up front for the Dolphins. Sieler will get heavy run for Miami but unless the team is constantly in short-yardage situations, Ogbah feels certain to keep the title of “starter”. Davis and Wilkins are former top draft choices who are now established starters as apart of the young nucleus in Miami. This group will occupy B-gap to B-gap up front for Miami; with Sieler potentially adding himself in to create a 4-man front for more heavy personnel groups or “base 3-4” looks that would feature Obgah on the outside.

Linebackers

• Hybrid LB Jaelan Phillips
  • LB Elandon Roberts
  • LB Jerome Baker
This is a tough call for Miami. With the size that the Patriots are bringing up front, it may be best to play Phillips early in an effort to help combat some of the size and physicality that is coming in the trenches this week. Andrew Van Ginkel has the luxury of experience in the NFL, but he’s simply not as big or strong as Phillips; so we’re going to put him in the hybrid role at this point. The stack linebackers are very straight forward between Baker, who got paid this offseason, and Roberts — who appears to be fit enough to inspire Miami that they didn’t really need veteran LB and 2021 addition Benardrick McKinney. Van Ginkel will play a ton, too.

Secondary

• CB Xavien Howard
  • CB Byron Jones
  • Nickel CB Nik Needham
  • FS Jason McCourty
  • SS Eric Rowe
No surprises here at cornerback. Miami is paying top dollar for top talent and they’ll host both Jones and Howard in a bid to bottle up the Patriots’ offense and squeeze the field. Needham has been the team’s third-best corner in camp — so look for him to start but have a short leash given the depth of this group.

At safety, we’re giving the nod to Jason McCourty over Jevon Holland on account of the need for high-level communication as the Dolphins’ free safety. Holland is a more dynamic talent and can change the game — but he needs to be ready to call assignments out for the entire secondary. That is a big ask for a rookie against Josh McDaniels and the Patriots; and so we are projecting a conservative open for Holland.

Projecting the Miami Dolphins starting offense in Week 1​

Offensive Backfield

• QB Tua Tagoviloa
  • RB Myles Gaskin

The backfield feels pretty straight forward other than which back is going to be rotating in for which specific game situations. Gaskin is the most well-rounded so we will defer to him; much like the Dolphins did last year when he was healthy.

As quarterback, there’s no more Fitzmagic in town. This is Tua Tagovailoa’s show. What he does with it from here is going to help dictate the narratives around the team for years to come.

Pass Catchers

• TE Mike Gesicki
  • WR DeVante Parker
  • WR Jaylen Waddle
  • WR Albert Wilson

If the Dolphins need a tight end to play with his hand in the dirt, Smythe is likely the guy. But Miami is bringing an offense that is expected to spread things out against New England — and that likely means plenty of Gesicki in the slot and a fair amount of 12 personnel to have the best of both worlds.

WR Will Fuller is suspended for Week 1 and is out of the picture — but there’s plenty of speed to be had between Waddle and Wilson when Miami aligns in 11-personnel with three wide receivers on the field.

Offensive Line

• LT Austin Jackson
  • LG Solomon Kindley
  • C Michael Deiter
  • RG Robert Hunt
  • RT Jesse Davis

Eichenberg will crack the starting lineup before too long for Miami. But a rookie who has been bounced around the offensive line between right tackle and left guard throughout camp? Against Bill Belichick? It may be best to keep Eichenberg in the wings before assuming a starting role — especially with him getting dinged up recently in practice.
The rest of the line is chalk and in-line with expectations entering into the season as of the start of training camp. Deiter has held the starting center job since Day 1 and the other three are high draft choices from the 2020 season. Now we just need their play to take the expected step forward, too.

I'll be traveling home from Vermont on Sunday, a 4 hour drive. My wife suggested that we leave about noon. Little does she know that our asses will be in the car at 8AM.
I want to be back, unload our crap, catch some of the Bill's game and get myself mentally prepared for our game.
If she want to stay until noon, she can take a bus home.

Anyone have a good streaming source for this weeks game? For the life of me , I can't remember the one I was using last year....

I really like Harlan and Green is pretty good, too. Not familiar with Collins.
melaniecollins-01.jpg

Anyone have a good streaming source for this weeks game? For the life of me , I can't remember the one I was using last year....
if you have directv, sunday ticket is free the first week and has been for awhile. i'm glad because despite the fact that dallas can't snarf down the 4 pm game this sun, the pats STILL aren't on free tv!
i need a stream source too.

Just to clarify, I can't find a way to pay for the games right now. At least not live.

Back