Miami at Patriots - Sunday, Sept 12 at 4:25 (CBS)

The Pats WRs could not get open. Time and again Big Mac made a perfect pass, but it was knocked away because the WR could not get separation. It did contribute to the loss.
They didn't get separation because the Patriots had the training wheels on until the 3rd quarter. Then suddenly they go 5-wide, and suddenly the tight ends are open on every play. Kendrick Bourne's suddenly open.

I don't think it was as much 'receivers not getting separation' as 'the Patriots were running 1 and 2 man routes'.

They didn't get separation because the Patriots had the training wheels on until the 3rd quarter. Then suddenly they go 5-wide, and suddenly the tight ends are open on every play. Kendrick Bourne's suddenly open.

I don't think it was as much 'receivers not getting separation' as 'the Patriots were running 1 and 2 man routes'.
McD and his brilliant offensive mind...ugh.

Why was JJ Taylor inactive? He would have been a great option yesterday...I'm not a big fan of Bolden. He's just mediocre on offense at best. I know Bolden is mostly on ST, but, someone else could have took his place instead.

Why was JJ Taylor inactive? He would have been a great option yesterday...I'm not a big fan of Bolden. He's just mediocre on offense at best. I know Bolden is mostly on ST, but, someone else could have took his place instead.
He didn't play much last year either. Apparently Stevenson jumped him on the depth chart.

The Pats WRs could not get open. Time and again Big Mac made a perfect pass, but it was knocked away because the WR could not get separation. It did contribute to the loss.

He only had 10 incompletions...
Patriots QB Mac Jones: 29/39, 281 yards, TD, 102.6 rating

From PFF
PlayerRoutes RunTargetReceptionYards
Jakobi Meyers429644
Nelson Agholor427671
Kendrick Bourne274361
Hunter Henry263331
Jonnu Smith205542

Jones got the ball out quickly with an average time to throw of 2.37, fifth-fastest among quarterbacks in Week 1 pending the Sunday and Monday night games.

Mac Jones passing by depth

Target DepthCompletionsAttemptsYardsTouchdowns
9 yards or less22261541
10-19 downfield46760
20+ downfield34790

By contrast:

Tua Tagovailoa passing by depth

Target DepthCompletionsAttemptsYardsTouchdowns
9 yards or less13141131
10-19 downfield19230
20+ downfield24660

Note: Tua only had 3 passes completed beyond 10 yds.

and the other rookies
Jaguars QB Trevor Lawrence: 28/51, 332 yards, three TDs, three INTs, 70.1 rating
Jets QB Zach Wilson: 20/37, 258 yards, two TDs, INT, 82.9 rating

I only got to see the red zone plays as the game was not broadcast locally, but from what I saw and what I read, the Patriots have a lot to be optimistic about. Take away the turnovers, open the offence up a little more now that the team has more trust in Mac, and continue to build on defense schemes. The Patriots are notorious for starting out the gate slow, even during the Brady era. I'm looking forward to watching the progression of this team.

I definitely take a lot of positives away from this one, but, DAMN, they should have won that game. They can't lose winnable games like that with the Bills being as good as the are.

Disappointed in the ending, but there was a lot to like in that game, also a lot to fix, but the foundation looks good.

If you take away the fumble (which was a great play by the D) they probably win 24-17 (assuming a successful 2-pt conversion).

There's work to do in the red zone, I think the o-line can play better and the D could step up some (but 17 is a pretty good day) and the backs need to wrap-up better. The penalty situation was also unacceptable.

On to the Jets

Some quick thoughts:

Things that worry:
The run defense is still not good enough. Miami was able to run out the clock from inside their own 10.

Clearly it was a mistake to keep Slowjuan and let McCourty go.

Red zone cost the Pats the game, both with the turnovers and the inability to get in the end zone. Our TEs do not appear to be red zone threats which is disappointing. Hopefully that changes as it is only week one and maybe they are still getting up to speed.

Trading Sony was a mistake. Stephenson may never see the field again, he has fumbled in every game he has played. Bolden is your second string RB now, pray for Harris' health.

Cam as back up and on short yardage and goal line has to be a better option than Hoyer.

Things to feel real good about:
Mac looked the part of the steady, efficient QB. Played well with pressure in his face. Was much better in the second half than the first. That is encouraging for his development.

Agahlor looked really good. I was happy to see that as he was invisible in the preseason.

Run game looks great. Harris looks great despite the fumble late when he was gassed. I just hope we don't plan on using him that much every game as he won't last.

Folk was money. Very encouraging given his back surgery.

TEs came on in the second half. Hopefully the become a bigger part of the game early on and become legit red zone targets.

Other than the penalties and turnovers my only complaints are that defensively 1. our CBs couldn't stop those quick slants Miami ran and 2. Dietrich Wise didn't show up at all in the DL stats. Nada.

My biggest concern is Judon keeping his temper in check. That is going to be a problem not just with the refs but with the coaching staff.
Remember when the refs decided that Gronk was pushing off all the time. He couldn't catch a break for nothing. If Judon gets a reputation as a hothead, we could be looking at a Burfict kind of situation.

Take away both RZ fumbles and a wide open case of the dropsies by Meyes (all uncharacteristic errors for this team) and the Pats easily win this game. Overall, there is much to be happy after this game, not counting the result.

That was a costly Judon penalty when he clashed with the Miami bench that nullified a great run back.

He has to watch that. He can’t hurt the team like that.

Back