Miami at Patriots - Sunday, Sept 12 at 4:25 (CBS)

That was a costly Judon penalty when he clashed with the Miami bench that nullified a great run back.

He has to watch that. He can’t hurt the team like that.
He should fucking know better. Wish they could dock his pay for that one. Ridiculous.

I've been down Florida for the last week and a half and watched the game at an outdoor bar with a live band playing. The local feed had the Phins blacked out but I talked a guy into finding a feed with the help of a green handshake. I couldn't believe how fast the game went by and it turned out to be under 3 hours. I only averaged one beer per hour and was really into it.

By now, everybody knows that Mac was very impressive (tremendously to me) and that the loss likely hinged on Harris' fumble, but a couple of other things that I saw:

1. Godchaux and the interior guys weren't great and Miami has some big guys up front. I saw some coordination issues and people trying to do other people's jobs. That can be cleaned up.

2. Having singled out Godchaux, I'd also mention that Barmore was pretty good and I would have liked to see him get more snaps moving forward. I've yet to see Lawrence Guy do anything of note ever since he got hurt last season. He doesn't look like the same guy to me, but it's early. I've been a critic of Deatrich Wise all along but I've upgraded him all the way up to average. He's still not strong enough at the point of attack, but 4 years of work has made him a tall JAG instead of a total liability.

3. I was happy to see Agholor have a positive outing and, in general, all the new guys seemed to chip in. I will comment that either Henry and Jonnu were a tad overrated as blockers or Miami's D has a bunch of glass-eaters because we didn't have much luck there or in the backfield. I did see some nice blocking by the WRs, especially Kendrick Bourne. He works hard at it. I thought the new kid we got from KC looked better than Justin Herron at RT, but that is not saying much. Herron was really struggling. Let's get Cajuste untracked ASAP the next time Trent gets dinged up because he should have been the next man up.

4. Of all the acorns that have fallen off the Belichick tree, I think Brian Flores is going to end up having the best career. He has completely transformed that Dolphins team from soft and sloppy to hard and smart in a little over two seasons. Their personnel guy seems legit, as well. The Phins seemed very well prepared for us, which should not be a surprise, but they generally played a sharper game than we did.

5. In addition to showing some awful ball security we got to see Rhamondre literally get knocked on his ass in pass pro by Elandon Roberts who suddenly looks like a killer since he left Foxboro. The sack was negated by a flag, but we got to see why our talented rookie was or is in Ivan Fears' dog house and Harris could have used a breather down the stretch. It'll be interesting to see when Stevenson will get a chance to make amends, but those are the kind of plays that get rookie backs red-shirted, so it might be a while. I'd make some comments about rookies, but we just got to see the debut of the smartest, most advanced one this team ever drafted, so one guy that needs some tough love shouldn't bother anybody that much.

I've been down Florida for the last week and a half and watched the game at an outdoor bar with a live band playing. The local feed had the Phins blacked out but I talked a guy into finding a feed with the help of a green handshake. I couldn't believe how fast the game went by and it turned out to be under 3 hours. I only averaged one beer per hour and was really into it.

By now, everybody knows that Mac was very impressive (tremendously to me) and that the loss likely hinged on Harris' fumble, but a couple of other things that I saw:

1. Godchaux and the interior guys weren't great and Miami has some big guys up front. I saw some coordination issues and people trying to do other people's jobs. That can be cleaned up.

2. Having singled out Godchaux, I'd also mention that Barmore was pretty good and I would have liked to see him get more snaps moving forward. I've yet to see Lawrence Guy do anything of note ever since he got hurt last season. He doesn't look like the same guy to me, but it's early. I've been a critic of Deatrich Wise all along but I've upgraded him all the way up to average. He's still not strong enough at the point of attack, but 4 years of work has made him a tall JAG instead of a total liability.

3. I was happy to see Agholor have a positive outing and, in general, all the new guys seemed to chip in. I will comment that either Henry and Jonnu were a tad overrated as blockers or Miami's D has a bunch of glass-eaters because we didn't have much luck there or in the backfield. I did see some nice blocking by the WRs, especially Kendrick Bourne. He works hard at it. I thought the new kid we got from KC looked better than Justin Herron at RT, but that is not saying much. Herron was really struggling. Let's get Cajuste untracked ASAP the next time Trent gets dinged up because he should have been the next man up.

4. Of all the acorns that have fallen off the Belichick tree, I think Brian Flores is going to end up having the best career. He has completely transformed that Dolphins team from soft and sloppy to hard and smart in a little over two seasons. Their personnel guy seems legit, as well. The Phins seemed very well prepared for us, which should not be a surprise, but they generally played a sharper game than we did.

5. In addition to showing some awful ball security we got to see Rhamondre literally get knocked on his ass in pass pro by Elandon Roberts who suddenly looks like a killer since he left Foxboro. The sack was negated by a flag, but we got to see why our talented rookie was or is in Ivan Fears' dog house and Harris could have used a breather down the stretch. It'll be interesting to see when Stevenson will get a chance to make amends, but those are the kind of plays that get rookie backs red-shirted, so it might be a while. I'd make some comments about rookies, but we just got to see the debut of the smartest, most advanced one this team ever drafted, so one guy that needs some tough love shouldn't bother anybody that much.
I was wondering where you were. I missed you. :love-heart:

Points 1, 2 and 4 are almost exactly word for word what Bedard commented on and emphasized on Tuesday when he did the game break down. You really should start a career in game break downs. I am not kidding. You are really spot on and a pleasure to read.

I was wondering where you were. I missed you. :love-heart:

Points 1, 2 and 4 are almost exactly word for word what Bedard commented on and emphasized on Tuesday when he did the game break down. You really should start a career in game break downs. I am not kidding. You are really spot on and a pleasure to read.

I missed you, too. Like a turkey misses Thanksgiving. ;)

My phone needs to be upgraded and I read none of the usual post-game stuff, but nothing I wrote was anything that took any particular insight.

I'm still planning on hammering you mercilessly when you go off the rails, but thank you for the compliment.

One thing I'll take credit for is that I will never hear or read something from a pro and parrot it back like it was my idea all along.

I'm still planning on hammering you mercilessly when you go off the rails, but thank you for the compliment.
I would expect nothing less. :acne:

On point 3, I thought Agholor was fine for the post part, except for the 3rd down pass he dropped that hit him in the numbers, on which Jones took a nice lick before he threw it. Disappointing.

Also disappoinded in Godchaux, whio has been pretty disappointing all through camp, if we're to be honest.

On point 3, I thought Agholor was fine for the post part, except for the 3rd down pass he dropped that hit him in the numbers, on which Jones took a nice lick before he threw it. Disappointing.

Also disappoinded in Godchaux, whio has been pretty disappointing all through camp, if we're to be honest.
'

There is a long history in Boston of teams trading for guys that played really well against them and they often don't work out like you hope.

Still, I don't think Godchaux is going to be the next Jack Clark. Or Chad Ochocinco.

I watched him kick Shaq Mason's ass and Mason is a pretty good player, so maybe he needs to get used to the scheme. Or something.

Or maybe he's not big enough to line up primarily as a NT. I don't know how much 3-4 we played the other night, but I would guess it was a lot and Miami's guards were huge.

'

There is a long history in Boston of teams trading for guys that played really well against them and they often don't work out like you hope.

Still, I don't think Godchaux is going to be the next Jack Clark. Or Chad Ochocinco.

I watched him kick Shaq Mason's ass and Mason is a pretty good player, so maybe he needs to get used to the scheme. Or something.

Or maybe he's not big enough to line up primarily as a NT. I don't know how much 3-4 we played the other night, but I would guess it was a lot and Miami's guards were huge.

Can't forget Gilmore, who was declared a bust by half of Pats' fans after 4 games with the team. I remember saying at the time that he looked pretty good but there were clearly communication issues. He finally came around.

Godchaux is going to be more than fine. I read that he got Andrews, Mason, and Thuney's recommendation. The dude has tree-trunk legs and is explosive and strong. I'd chalk up his mediocre performance to early season stuff + Miami's big OL.

Hard to watch this and not come away feeling that he's going to be just fine.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOg_EBDsyw

It's been a while since I have been on. But, even though we got the L. I thought there were a lot of positives from this last game.

1. Jones looked really good. Other than the big boneheaded mistake of throwing the ball backwards, I thought he handled himself very well. He was patient, slid up in the pocket was decisive in his reads and had confidence in his throws. Everything you want out of a QB imo. I was skeptical of Jones comin gout of College, the program he was in is all show horses..lol BUt week 1, I liked what I saw and I hope my original skepticism is proven very wrong.

2- The Defense looked ok, I know it was the first game, they will get better as they get more familiar with one another.

3- The RB's need to practice ball security.

4- The receivers got decent separation, a few too many dropped passes for my liking but I think as the season progresses that will worked on.

I know it was only the first game, but if this what Mac Jones plays like in week 1, I can't wait to see what he does in week 10. I like the look of the team and the direction they are heading in.

Back