Michael Collins, Pilot Of Apollo 11 Has Passed Away

johnlocke

Reaction score
As some of you know, Ayn Rand wrote some of her most inspirational nonfiction describing her experience witnessing, in person, the launch of the Apollo XI moon mission. She also knew and corresponded with mission astronaut Michael Collins who recently passed away. (See, Berliner, M., editor, 'The Letters of Ayn Rand', p. 648.) You may not know that Collins thought that Rand's essay was "probably the best" article he had read about Apollo XI. She called him "Mike."

The incredible essay on this most momentous of a wholly human accomplishment and there is no greater tribute I can give to it than that.

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
As some of you know, Ayn Rand wrote some of her most inspirational nonfiction describing her experience witnessing, in person, the launch of the Apollo XI moon mission. She also knew and corresponded with mission astronaut Michael Collins who recently passed away. (See, Berliner, M., editor, 'The Letters of Ayn Rand', p. 648.) You may not know that Collins thought that Rand's essay was "probably the best" article he had read about Apollo XI. She called him "Mike."

The incredible essay on this most momentous of a wholly human accomplishment and there is no greater tribute I can give to it than that.

Just about half-way through. But time to say something. Absolutely riveting. I almost feel as though I were there. Just brilliant.

Cheers

OP
johnlocke

johnlocke

Reaction score
Just about half-way through. But time to say something. Absolutely riveting. I almost feel as though I were there. Just brilliant.

Cheers

Glad you like it, man. It was 3 years before I was born but reading her recounting of the launch and its meaning makes me feel like I was there.