Misuse and Regression of Mac Jones and How to Fix

I agree with the talent at RB and TE, but I don't see anything close to a Jaylen Waddle, Justin Jefferson, or Stefon Diggs on this roster at WR or a true "WR1". The pats won with "far, far, less" because they had the greatest quarterback of all time. Again, I'm an "outsider" fan, but the knock on the Pats for years has been Bill B refusal to invest in the WR position. This group of WR's maybe an upgrade from what the Pats are USED to having in the past (pre-Jones), but they are far from being considered "plenty of talent".

BB would rather have 2 competent WRs than a true #1. It comes down to economics and availability. However this year BB/Pats have invested in the WR position. The Pats are paying their WR position the 4th or 5th most in the league. BB simply doesn't like having a diva WR1 making $20-25M/. He's fine with 2 making $12M each, for example. Nevertheless, Jakobi Meyers is within % pts of Waddle, Tee Higgins, Amari Cooper and De'Andre Hopkins currently in PFF's ranking. Meyers is ranked 17th WR overall, which is ahead of Godwin and Mike Evans.

I agree with the talent at RB and TE, but I don't see anything close to a Jaylen Waddle, Justin Jefferson, or Stefon Diggs on this roster at WR or a true "WR1". The pats won with "far, far, less" because they had the greatest quarterback of all time. Again, I'm an "outsider" fan, but the knock on the Pats for years has been Bill B refusal to invest in the WR position. This group of WR's maybe an upgrade from what the Pats are USED to having in the past (pre-Jones), but they are far from being considered "plenty of talent".
The Pats have picked a receiver within the first 3 rounds of the draft 7 times while Brady was here, thrice in the 2nd and once in the 1st. How does that equate to never investing in the WR position? They were really really bad at it, but that doesn't mean they haven't tried. Good analysis though.

The Pats have picked a receiver within the first 3 rounds of the draft 7 times while Brady was here, thrice in the 2nd and once in the 1st. How does that equate to never investing in the WR position? They were really really bad at it, but that doesn't mean they haven't tried. Good analysis though.

And this as well, very bad at it. LOL!

so, we're talking about not having WR1 talent..

...the Bucs are 5-6 with Mike Evans AND Chris Godwin AND the GOAT, hard to get more elite talent than that

The only issue with this statement is they've won a superbowl with this group and the offense wasn't a problem when they did. Major injuries to the OL and other injuries across the board have contributed to the 5-6 record, not to mention Brady's personal issues that have no doubt played a role in this season.

The only issue with this statement is they've won a superbowl with this group and the offense wasn't a problem when they did. Major injuries to the OL and other injuries across the board have contributed to the 5-6 record, not to mention Brady's personal issues that have no doubt played a role in this season.
my point was that it's all relevant, if you can't block you it doesn't matter who your QB is or who he's throwing to

BB would rather have 2 competent WRs than a true #1. It comes down to economics and availability. However this year BB/Pats have invested in the WR position. The Pats are paying their WR position the 4th or 5th most in the league. BB simply doesn't like having a diva WR1 making $20-25M/. He's fine with 2 making $12M each, for example. Nevertheless, Jakobi Meyers is within % pts of Waddle, Tee Higgins, Amari Cooper and De'Andre Hopkins currently in PFF's ranking. Meyers is ranked 17th WR overall, which is ahead of Godwin and Mike Evans.

I'm also fine with depth instead of a super expensive WR. However this means that we go with an offense that spreads the ball, hits the open man, quick strike passes, get it to 8+ different receivers every game. It means we abandon the bad/risky chuck it deep offense, it's just a waste of targets and kills drives.

I'm also fine with depth instead of a super expensive WR. However this means that we go with an offense that spreads the ball, hits the open man, quick strike passes, get it to 8+ different receivers every game. It means we abandon the bad/risky chuck it deep offense, it's just a waste of targets and kills drives.
Is there an offense in today's league that does this?

Agreed, taking this approach means you've got to get out of multiple receivers what you'd get out of an "elite" receiver, so the offensive approach has to be designed accordingly.

they won their sb because their defense did a great job on kc.

they won their sb because their defense did a great job on kc.
The Bucs set an NFL record that post-season scoring 30+ points in all 4 playoff games.

Is there an offense in today's league that does this?

I believe the 6-time-champion New England Patriots deployed this type of offense, if I'm not mistaken. Went to 9 Superbowls doing this. Quick passes, don't overpay for any 1 WR, get it to a lot of different receivers, hit the open man, and don't go for low-percentage risky chuck it deep chunk plays. Control the ball and get a ton of first downs every single game....

Some damning stats about this offensive staff that Curran put out today:

Lazy undisciplined penalties:

#2 in the NFL in offensive holding penalties
13 pre-snap penalties
53 penalties. 23 more net total penalties than opponents, worst margin in NFL

Offensive staff/playcall ineptitude:

Worst red zone percentage in the league (or is it 31st)
81 plays gained 0-2 yards
30 plays lost yards
26 sacks allowed
Only 20 offensive TDs in 11 games despite the highest salary WR/TE group in the league by a wide margin.

HOF QB Kurt Warner recently dissected (shredded) the Pats offense.

Lack of attention to detail. Penalties. Bad route design. Bad receiver spacing. The wrong reads on play design.

View: https://youtu.be/UL9MdsqPt_4

We've been seeing it from preseason and there's plenty of blame to spread around. Lately I've been told a couple of the receivers and Bourne in particular, aren't running the routes as they are designed. And most of the receivers are making more mistakes than is normal. (In the NFL, receivers mess up a route 20% of the time on avg. but good ones rarely mess up.) All the coaches can do is to bench a receiver who is unwilling to learn and execute properly. I hope they've straightened things out.

Back