Misuse and Regression of Mac Jones and How to Fix

At least for me, it’s clear Mac is a field general not a vertical offense guy. Mac has 7INTs this year. He’s a better version of Zappe but both are dink and dunk guys. Mac is not good at 20+ yard throws. He can complete them but it’s inefficient losing football

It matters if a player is not suited for the crappy plays the coaches want. If you ask a NBA player who isn’t good at 3 pointers to suddenly take 15 3’s a game, that’s purely terrible coaching and not the player’s fault
When I sent that post, I was assuming that the plays were tailored to each Qb's preference's and strengths.

Trying to fit a square key into a round hole isn't going to work well.

Maybe they're experimenting on the fly, seeing what works and what doesn't? I dunno...

There's a clear distinction between how the Patriots call the game for Mac compared to rookie Bailey Zappe on first and second down. On the surface, Zappe gets a higher rate of play-action and more drop-backs from under center. But it ran even deeper than that with a side-by-side comparison on Monday night

2022 stats. Mac has been great at passes less than 15 yards, completing 75% of his passes. Passes over 15 yards only 35% completion rate (plus most of his interceptions).

Seems pretty obvious to stop chasing chunk plays but I’m not sure Rothstein, Judge, and Patricia are smart enough to see something so obvious

Boston Globe:
"So far, the Patriots’ offense has noticeably taken the approach to air it out and take chances down the field with Jones at quarterback with fewer play-actions. Jones leads the league in deep throw frequency (20.4 percent), which is nearly double compared to his rookie season, when he ranked 18th in such throws among quarterbacks who played at least half the season (11.3 percent).

New England has also called fewer play-action passes for Jones (11.7 percent play-action rate) than Zappe (26.3), per Pro Football Focus. The new changes for Jones could explain his struggles this season as he’s thrown two touchdowns to six interceptions in four games with a 70.8 passer rating."

Q: Is there anything you've seen from Mac that can explain the sudden drop-off? Decision-making seems to be the biggest issue, but I think that's a product of the playcalling. - @James_Dubz

Evan Lazar: the short of it is that the Patriots have decided to turn Jones into a vertical passer, and it's setting him up for failure. They've gone full Bruce Arians with Mac in the game rather than the efficient offense we saw last season or the orchestrated shot plays they run with Zappe. Mac is not to blame here. This is a coaching failure.

If that is truly the case, then it is a coaching failure. This teams strength is with the running backs and both Harris and Stevenson are well above average backs, both would be lead backs on half the teams in the league. Right now this team has no identity.

If that is truly the case, then it is a coaching failure. This teams strength is with the running backs and both Harris and Stevenson are well above average backs, both would be lead backs on half the teams in the league. Right now this team has no identity.

Absolutely a coaching failure. Look at how bad Daniel Jones and the Giants were under Joe Judge. The Lions offense was horrible with Patricia and Rothstein.

Shotgun is the worst. So predictable and easy to defend.

The last 6 shotgun plays have gone 5 incompletions and 1 bad run for 1 yard

Shotgun is the worst. So predictable and easy to defend.

The last 6 shotgun plays have gone 5 incompletions and 1 bad run for 1 yard
A win on the road, when a win is needed, against a 5-2 Division opponent.

Perspective.

Last edited:
I remember last year seeing stats how Mac was lethal and elite against the blitz. Somehow the crappy coaching has made Mac WORSE. Apparently he’s now the worst qb at handling pressure in the pocket now. Fire Joe Judge, Evan Rothstein, and Matt Patricia.

The oline is much worse than last year as well. It's a combination of things, the reality is that this team is simply not very talented and has inexperienced coaching.

I remember last year seeing stats how Mac was lethal and elite against the blitz. Somehow the crappy coaching has made Mac WORSE. Apparently he’s now the worst qb at handling pressure in the pocket now. Fire Joe Judge, Evan Rothstein, and Matt Patricia.

So, I'm not clear on what point you're making here. Are you saying that you don't like Judge, Rothstein and Patricia?

I thought you loved them, but I guess I need work on my comprehension skills.

Maybe you should start repeating yourself once in a while, just for us slow learners.

So, I'm not clear on what point you're making here. Are you saying that you don't like Judge, Rothstein and Patricia?

Maybe you should start repeating yourself once in a while, just for us slow learners.

It may only seem repetitious when the same idiocy keeps happening. Keep running crappy shotgun and I’ll keep calling this sh-t out. It does not work. Put Mac under center. Whatever idiot on the staff says Mac can’t play under center and was only a shotgun QB in college is a dumbass who should be removed immediately. Likely Rothstein or Joe Judge. Patricia also not without blame. When a pro bowl QB regresses this much it’s not the player, it’s the sh-tty offensive staff. 1 TD in 7 red zone trips is also pathetic.

It may only seem repetitious when the same idiocy keeps happening. Keep running crappy shotgun and I’ll keep calling this sh-t out. It does not work. Put Mac under center. Whatever idiot on the staff says Mac can’t play under center and was only a shotgun QB in college is a dumbass who should be removed immediately. Likely Rothstein or Joe Judge. Patricia also not without blame. When a pro bowl QB regresses this much it’s not the player, it’s the sh-tty offensive staff. 1 TD in 7 red zone trips is also pathetic.

Yeah it is still unclear to me too Hawg. The post above... I think he really likes them.

Definitely need more posts talking about those three. Probably multiple every day.

Yeah it is still unclear to me too Hawg. The post above... I think he really likes them.

Definitely need more posts talking about those three. Probably multiple every day.

Great.

Now, Something to look forward to!!!!!!!!

I think I found my favorite sentence ever right here in this thread:

It may only seem repetitious when the same idiocy keeps happening.

If I didn't watch football, but for whatever reason I happened to love reading random forums -- I would have bet money the Pats were 0-8 judging by your posts.

Great.

Now, Something to look forward to!!!!!!!!

I think I found my favorite sentence ever right here in this thread:

It may only seem repetitious when the same idiocy keeps happening.
And I was gonna say it only seems repetitious when he keeps repeating it.

Back