Misuse and Regression of Mac Jones and How to Fix

He was very sharp last night but faced little pressure until the 4th quarter. It was nice to see Henry break free.

Here's a question, last night Cousins threw a driving ball to Jefferson at the goal line. Caught by Jefferson but called back via penalty.

Ever see Mac throw that type of pass? The got to have, bullet, dart type pass in a crowd.

Disclosure, the above question is only about Mac. It is not an inference to any other Patriot.

Here's a question, last night Cousins threw a driving ball to Jefferson at the goal line. Caught by Jefferson but called back via penalty.

Ever see Mac throw that type of pass? The got to have, bullet, dart type pass in a crowd.

Disclosure, the above question is only about Mac. It is not an inference to any other Patriot.
Yes, against the Panthers last season in Charlotte for TD to Henry. I was at the game.

Mac played well.
These 4th quarter stats below are on the crappy playcalling. Way too much useless shotgun again

4th Qtr Drives:
Punt (3 & Out) 1 yd
Punt (3 & Out) 9 yds
TO downs (sack) 54 yds
End game (sack) 40 yds

Mac at his best is a middle of the road 18 to 12 ranked QB in the NFL. Is that a starter, yes it is. There may be one year in his career where things break prefect and he’s truly a top ten guy.
But the Mac love on this forum I truly do not understand. Look at it like any other position. He’s not the Vince Wilfork of the QB position. Except in a few years he’s got to be paid.
In todays NFL you’ve either got to have an elite QB, or you have to be able to take advantage of a QB on a rookie contract and build a team around him.
Mac is not getting paid compared to decent starting QBs in the league. And the team around him still isn’t good enough.
It’s not gonna get better when the time comes to resign him.

Mac at his best is a middle of the road 18 to 12 ranked QB in the NFL. Is that a starter, yes it is. There may be one year in his career where things break prefect and he’s truly a top ten guy.
But the Mac love on this forum I truly do not understand. Look at it like any other position. He’s not the Vince Wilfork of the QB position. Except in a few years he’s got to be paid.
In todays NFL you’ve either got to have an elite QB, or you have to be able to take advantage of a QB on a rookie contract and build a team around him.
Mac is not getting paid compared to decent starting QBs in the league. And the team around him still isn’t good enough.

Who was better in year 2, Mac Jones or Josh Allen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Orlovsky is who again?

Is he that TV cat begging for an Offensive Coordinator job?
You can shoot the messenger if you like, but that doesn't change the problem. Learning on the job, was clearly a mistake, how anyone can argue that at this point is pretty pathetic. Bill made the decision, and you're kidding yourself if you think that he's not regretting it now.

Who was better in year 2, Mac Jones or Josh Allen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I get it, but Allen came into the league with a lot of raw talent and physical tools that needed to develop.
I don’t know that Mac will ever get better in the way Allen has. I don’t think he can. Allen was chucking the ball 75 yards from his knees before he was drafted. That didn’t translate right away, but Mac doesn’t have that physical skill set.
I’ve said this many times. I think Mac’s career will be similar to Andy Daltons. He’s gonna be a starter for a long time in the NFL, and never really amount to anything in terms of postseason success.

You can shoot the messenger if you like, but that doesn't change the problem. Learning on the job, was clearly a mistake, how anyone can argue that at this point is pretty pathetic. Bill made the decision, and you're kidding yourself if you think that he's not regretting it now.
i'm not sure he didn't realize the potential pitfalls and decide that for this year, they were doable. i want to see how things shake out with this the rest of the year and over the offseason.

I get it, but Allen came into the league with a lot of raw talent and physical tools that needed to develop.
I don’t know that Mac will ever get better in the way Allen has. I don’t think he can. Allen was chucking the ball 75 yards from his knees before he was drafted. That didn’t translate right away, but Mac doesn’t have that physical skill set.
I’ve said this many times. I think Mac’s career will be similar to Andy Daltons. He’s gonna be a starter for a long time in the NFL, and never really amount to anything in terms of postseason success.
no, mac doesn't have the arm, size, running ability of allen. but allen didn't get better physical skills. that's not why he improved. nfl bustdom is littered with "omgzz11!!1!physical skillz" guys.

I don't agree.
Mac's passer rating this year is 87.3. TB didn't beat that number until his 4th year starting.
Mac's completion % this year is 69.2%. TB's best completion % of his career is 68.9% in 2007.

Andy Dalton's best completion % over his 12 yr career is 66.9% which is this year. His career comp % is 62.4%. Mac's career comp% is 68.1%.
Andy Dalton's career passer rating is 87.5%. Mac's career passer rating is 90.2 after his first 2 years. Mac is already better than Dalton.

Furthermore, TB's best passer rating came 7 years into his career. Dalton's best came 5 years into his career.
QBs generally get better with time & Mac's first 2 years' of QB performance are better than either TB or Dalton.

I'm willing to give Mac the benefit of time before making such negative judgements.

I don't agree.
Mac's passer rating this year is 87.3. TB didn't beat that number until his 4th year starting.
Mac's completion % this year is 69.2%. TB's best completion % of his career is 68.9% in 2007.

Andy Dalton's best completion % over his 12 yr career is 66.9% which is this year. His career comp % is 62.4%. Mac's career comp% is 68.1%.
Andy Dalton's career passer rating is 87.5%. Mac's career passer rating is 90.2 after his first 2 years. Mac is already better than Dalton.

Furthermore, TB's best passer rating came 7 years into his career. Dalton's best came 5 years into his career.
QBs generally get better with time & Mac's first 2 years' of QB performance are better than either TB or Dalton.

I'm willing to give Mac the benefit of time before making such negative judgements.
Today's league has no patience. Like River said, Mac is going to look to get paid soon. IMO, Bill needs to decide on him one way or the other by next season as the 5th year option will be looming.

Mac’s last 4 games he’s put up 4TDs 1 int. Passing around 75%. But the 4th quarter was pathetic going back to the worthless shotgun-formation vertical plays that kill drives or get Mac sacked.

Mac has been very good compared to the disastrous first 4 games by the crappy offensive staff where he had 2 TDs 4INTs, chasing risky deep vertical chunk plays instead of reliable quick short passes.

one glaring issue remains the OLine, the last 4 games Mac is getting sacked 5 times a game and 10 QB hits a game. That many hits can ruin a young QB (see older Carr, Bradford)

Last edited:
Along with the Oline help Mac could use a receiver that would be the equivalent to Coates for Bledsoe, Edelman for Brady,,

Agreed. Henry can be Mac’s security blanket. or Meyers or Bourne if given enough targets. The deep-ball guys are not reliable enough for gotta-get-it 3rd downs.
BB noted failures on 3rd down and this is part of the problem. No go-to guys or plays on 3rd down and goal line.

Back