Misuse and Regression of Mac Jones and How to Fix

I disagree. Most of the time, he does have time for intermediate throws, and WRs are getting open. I think the coaching staff is just terrified he's going to throw it to the other team. There is some of what you say in there, but not nearly enough to put it all in that category.

this crazy post flies in the face of reality. The problem isn’t Mac.

multiple analysts (Lazar, Orlovsky, Kurt Warner) have put up very clear 2022 film that shows the WR route designs are terrible and by the time Mac finishes his drop, no one is ready for a pass except oftentimes only Mondre

that plus blind homers denying the OLine is a problem and claiming Mac has sufficient time to throw. A crazy reality distortion field to be a blind homer

Last edited:

multiple analysts (Lazar, Orlovsky, Kurt Warner) have put up very clear 2022 film that shows the WR route designs are terrible and by the time Mac finishes his drop, no one is ready for a pass except oftentimes only Mondre

that plus blind homers denying the OLine is a problem and claiming Mac has sufficient time to throw. A crazy reality distortion field to be a blind homer
Agreed, whatever deficiencies Mac may have has a QB, he's been put in one of the worst coaching situations possible. This is the real crime here because we have wasted an entire season in which to evaluate him. Tua was being talked about last season in very much the same way as far as what he could be.

Agreed, whatever deficiencies Mac may have has a QB, he's been put in one of the worst coaching situations possible. This is the real crime here because we have wasted an entire season in which to evaluate him. Tua was being talked about last season in very much the same way as far as what he could be.

looking back Tua was getting unfairly trashed. new OC every single year and still put up a 87 QB rookie rating and then a 90 QB rating.

I disagree. Most of the time, he does have time for intermediate throws, and WRs are getting open. I think the coaching staff is just terrified he's going to throw it to the other team. There is some of what you say in there, but not nearly enough to put it all in that category.

He has time but the WR isn't getting open consistently enough for anticipation throws which got Mac in trouble with ints early in the season. By that I mean time to throw is one thing but time for the receiver to gain separation for a see it-throw it pass is another thing altogether. We don't have an Edelman although Marcus Jones could become one.

He has time but the WR isn't getting open consistently enough for anticipation throws which got Mac in trouble with ints early in the season. By that I mean time to throw is one thing but time for the receiver to gain separation for a see it-throw it pass is another thing altogether. We don't have an Edelman although Marcus Jones could become one.
BB should definitely use Marcus as a slut reciever...

And the entire panel of former players on the Thursday broadcast said the same thing. No playmakers at the WR position on top of the atrocious offensive coaching is the reason for Jones regression.

I mean BB went out and picked up a bunch of new receiving targets over the past 2 seasons. If there's no talent there, it again comes back to the GM and coaching.

I find it to be near possible to believe that they can't get one of their TEs to find an empty spot in a zone defense consistently.
It's not like rocket science.

The media will get stirred into a frenzy now with this Belichick response

Q: Would the Pats benefit more from Marcus Jones playing on offense or defense? - @HayderProd
After his 48-yard touchdown against the Bills, I was thinking about the last time we saw a Patriot who was as explosive in the open field as Jones. Maybe Brandin Cooks? Prime Edelman? It's been a while since they've had a player who can reach that gear, and they should, without a doubt, have a gadget play package in the offense for Jones the rest of the way. He's too good of a slot corner prospect to give up on him defensively in favor of offense. But three-to-five plays per game on offense is not a stretch. It would be great to see them build a package out for Jones, where he's both the primary ball carrier and a decoy. Screens, jet sweeps, bluff screens to hit downfield receivers, etc. His speed alone changes how defenses play them.

Usually with players that have a skillset like his are DBs because they have stone hands, can't run routes well enough, or both. Not saying that's definitely the case with him but it has to make you wonder.

Usually with players that have a skillset like his are DBs because they have stone hands, can't run routes well enough, or both. Not saying that's definitely the case with him but it has to make you wonder.

BB would never have put him out there if his hands were an issue.

BB would never have put him out there if his hands were an issue.
Technically it was Patricia that put him out there. I seriously doubt BB is micromanaging to that extent. And sending him out there once in every 20 plays to catch a low risk quick screen pass is different than making him a slot receiver(honestly have no idea his snap% that game). He was used sparingly in college that way too.

Back