Movie Recommendations

Flagg the Wanderer

Mourning Algernon
Reaction score
Curious what Planeteers recommend. I'm especially looking for free On-Demand or Netflix titles, and particularly those available to watch instantly.

Open to anything, but I suppose you should know my tastes.

I generally don't watch movies with nudity - at least not much/extraneous - unless it's a great movie. Generally I don't even avoid non-nude sex scenes, though this is more flexible.

I like spy and heist/crime movies, political intrigue, organized crime, some action (not too gory), comedies but almost never rom-coms, character development (but only the very best of these, as they're either excellent or terrible, and dramas, especially about kids. I also tend to like epics.

Hate hate hate trampy actresses - for instance generally no Angelina, but Changeling was good.

Stuff I loved:
Clue
Spy Game
Momento
Braveheart
A River Runs Through It
The Fisher King
Stepbrothers
Mr. Deeds
Godfather(s)
The Bourne series
Inside Man
Snatch
Bella
Gladiator
Clerks
Unbreakable
Both recent Batmans
10 Things I Hate

Actors/Actresses:
- Love:
Pitt
Clive Owen
Denzel
Damon
Norton
Depp
Garafolo
Freeman
Dunst
Holmes
Hopkins
Ferrell
Sandler
Buchemi
Oldman
Emma Thompson
-Hate
Julia Roberts
Anniston
Toby Spiderface

Any thoughts? TIA
Posted via Mobile Device

Hachi. wuv Great dog movie and one of FT's instant faves.

We watched a movie called Stolen the other night that was pretty good but I don't remember the actors names except James Vanderbeek (it was still good though)

Hachi. wuv Great dog movie and one of FT's instant faves.

Decidedly false. Hachi died in 1939 folks.

We watched a movie called Stolen the other night that was pretty good but I don't remember the actors names except James Vanderbeek (it was still good though)

It was decent but I don't know that I'd recommend it. You just killed it by stating that Dawson was in it. He's not a lead and I'll spare anyone the suspense. The final scence tanks the movie.

Reco's I've seen recently:

The Road (Based on Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer winning book)

The Blind Side (I will admit to tearing up occasionally at movies but holy shit..........Niagra Falls, Frankie........Niagra Falls)

Triangle (sort of a quasi-horror/mystery/suspense movie....slight gore but not overdone)

I can't think right now but Blockbuster has a permanent funny feeling in its pants because of how frequently I rent movies. I'll check back in with more suggestions in a bit.

The Blind Side was fantastic... and the fact that it's based on a true story makes it that much better.

One of the most underrated basketball movies out there is "Glory Road." I love that film.

Kind of an odd movie, but different, is "Punch Drunk Love". The fight scene near the end, though short, is epic.

Law Abiding Citizen

Queue it up. It shouldn't disappoint with maybe one caveat that I'd delve into post-view.

Gerard Butler has thoroughly disappointed me since 300. Here comes the next bad-ass action star, right? Several chick flicks later and the inability to turn down a script and the sound of air being let out from a balloon can be heard.

That said, this movie was solid.

Stand By Me is also on On-Demand for me on the AMC channel. I'd preface that by saying I have Fios but a lot of times when I'm scrolling through other cable providers' On-Demand menus, I see a lot of the same movies that are available to me.

There just aren't many better summertime/coming-of-age films, IMO.

Law Abiding Citizen was great (a bit gory, but great)

Have you seen Inglorious Bastards yet? Seriously gory, and I typically hate gory movies, but it is AWESOME! The Jew Hunter is one of the best characters in any movie ever.

The Blind Side (I will admit to tearing up occasionally at movies but holy shit..........Niagra Falls, Frankie........Niagra Falls)
I watched this with my kids a few times now - they loved it

but when I explained he was drafted with the Patriots pick but that pick was traded to a different team to use my kids got mad

I watched this with my kids a few times now - they loved it

but when I explained he was drafted with the Patriots pick but that pick was traded to a different team to use my kids got mad

I felt like such an idiot because I didn't know it until I watched the movie. :doh:

Goodfellas...The best Mafia movie of all time!!!!!

Fight Club, The Lake House, Bandits, Benjamin Button, The Ocean's.

Hostel
The Hitcher
The Hills Have Eyes
Talladega Nights (lol sorry love it)
Harsh Times

Get the original Death at a Funeral, very funny, very well done.

Curious what Planeteers recommend. I'm especially looking for free On-Demand or Netflix titles, and particularly those available to watch instantly.

Open to anything, but I suppose you should know my tastes:

I generally don't watch movies with nudity - at least not much/extraneous - unless it's a great movie. Generally I don't even avoid non-nude sex scenes, though this is more flexible.

I like spy and heist/crime movies, political intrigue, organized crime, some action (not too gory), comedies but almost never rom-coms, character development (but only the very best of these, as they're either excellent or terrible, and dramas, especially about kids. I also tend to like epics.

Hate hate hate trampy actresses - for instance generally no Angelina, but Changeling was good.

Stuff I loved:
Clue
Spy Game
Momento
Braveheart
A River Runs Through It
The Fisher King
Stepbrothers
Mr. Deeds
Godfather(s)
The Bourne series
Inside Man
Snatch
Bella
Gladiator
Clerks
Unbreakable
Both recent Batmans
10 Things I Hate

Actors/Actresses:
- Love:
Pitt
Clive Owen
Denzel
Damon
Norton
Depp
Garafolo
Freeman
Dunst
Holmes
Hopkins
Ferrell
Sandler
Buchemi
Oldman
Emma Thompson
-Hate
Julia Roberts
Anniston
Toby Spiderface

Any thoughts? TIA
Posted via Mobile Device

Good Will Hunting. I know I know you probably saw it. Its one of those movies I can watch more than a few times. There are not many, but thats one.

Pretty good movie with Matthew Perry called "Numb". It's most definitely NOT the Matthew Perry from Friends....a dark comedy.

He was also in one called The Whole Nine Yards. With Bruce Willis. Funny.

Also, Identity with John Cusak.

And Bandits, which also and Bruce and Billy Bob.

Glitch in the matrix or were you playing the Star Wars Drinking Game with the kiddies last night?

Back