My grades on the Patriots' 2023 draft

Parcells drafted Ty Law, Ted Johnson and Curtis Martin one year.

That was a good draft.
The drafts in the 70s could be considered better.
That was an outstanding outlier of a draft, but even there drafts tend to look better when there aren't incumbents of consequence that limit opportunity.

2020 draft Is no longer considered a bust . Thanks to Dugger , Uche & Onwenu Performance last season . The rest of picks are still a big pile of 💩.

Because a "good" draft is one where you turn your picks into maybe 3-4 contributors, 1-2 of whom are solid starters, 3-4 years down the line.

People's standards for what is a successful draft are insane, and wildly out of line with the historical record of what to expect for a success rate from draft picks.
There's definitely some truth in what you're saying and history backs it up. There is more however to evaluating a successful draft than just looking at the number of NFL, "quality players". For example, if a team needs a quality starting caliber LT, and misses on that play in the 1st round, but happens to hit a couple starting quality players in later rounds at positions of much lesser need, is it really a successful draft? I mean if the results of the draft don't really push the needle for the team to become better at their most important areas of need then how can you look at as a great success?

You just described precisely why I pay close to 0 attention to pre draft info and discussions.

For me it's like "What's the point?" 😅
Exactly. Unless you're really well informed (recent former scout with contacts), the chances are that you are missing a lot of relevant information, e.g. psychological make-up, what team-mates really think of the player etc.

Back